difficult child got a job!

Nancy

She started yesterday at the Shake Shop, an ice cream store that also serves grilled food. It's in the center of town right across from the police and fire station and the whole community goes there in the summer after baseball games or other activities.

It just reopened last week for the season and husband brought her up to get an application last Saturday. I took her after school Monday to turn it in and they hired her on the spot, the owner happened to be in and liked her I guess.

Funny she will probably see the detective and several police officers that know her since they all come in there. Last week her gym class took a trip to the police station to watch the officers shoot because they were learning gun safety. As they walked in the juvenile detective held the door for them and as each one came in her said "I don't know you, I don't know you" and as difficult child walked in he said "Oh I know you, how are you? It's nice to see you." I think difficult child got a kick out of it.

First day went good she said, she works again today at 5. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she does well and keeps the job. The more things I can get her involved in to keep her busy the better likely she is to stay out of trouble.

Nancy

Alisonlg

Sounds great! Hopefully it's just one more positive thing in her life to keep her on the right track.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #333399"> great news, nancy!!! hope she continues to enjoy the job.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

busywend

Wonderful! Congrats to difficult child!!!

My difficult child submitted her first application Wednesday night. I am really hoping for her sake she gets it.

Janna

You know, Nancy, I was just pondering this myself.

My own difficult child 2, at the previous foster, couldn't work, join basketball or do anything else until his behaviors improved (which they never did).

Then he moves to the new foster home, he's working now, playing on the basketball team (finally) and you know, he's doing great!

You'd think longer leash = more freedom = more trouble, but I don't know. This all seems to be good for him.

Maybe the case for yours too. I'm glad she's working. She's made incredible progress. Hope it continues.

Janna

Nancy

You know Janna last year I never would have let difficult child get a job. She would have given free ice cream to her friends, been late for work or never showed, used the money she made for anything but good, left work at the end of her shift and gone off with her friends doing who knows what, been fired in very short order.

I was just thinking about this too. I would have been terrified to let difficult child work at the Shake Shop last year. The temptation for her to go off with her thug friends would have been too much. But this year she is much more mature and I think it's good that she will learn that money is hard earned.

Nancy

LittleDudesMom

Nancy,

a job is a great thing. My daughter actually started her own business at 11 (babysitting at the pool for two hour intervals) and has been doing something ever since. Summer before last she worked at the pool and nannied for three girls for a month so she could buy a laptop. She has been working at our gym two nights a week since last summer and just bought a really expensive Nikon digital camera. She puts that check in the bank and saves it for something big. Plus, it keeps her responsible I think.

Congrats to difficult child! Her right arm will get a great workout. I scooped one summer and had a powerful muscle build in my right arm!

Sharon

G

guest3

I wish difficult child II wanted a job, he's failing school I wish he'd at least work, but that would require work, LOL

Kathy813

Staff member
Nancy,

It is utterly amazing how far your difficult child has come in the last year. Good for her!!!

~Kathy

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:bravo: difficult child!

Nancy there is some maturity popping in here. It's so good to hear positives in your difficult children life.

Thanks for sharing this - gives me a bit of hope. :flower:

Nancy

Thanks everyone. She just got back from her second day of work and she said they told her that she has caught on faster than most everyone else. She says she loves it, has messed up a couple things like forgetting the nuts on a banana split, but all in all she is doing well.

It's absolutely amazing to me the change in her over the past year. This is beyond what I ever hoped for.

Nancy