difficult child is on a roll . . .

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm happy to report that things are going pretty well. difficult child has been going to all of her DBT sessions, going to work, and been pleasant to husband and me. As far as I can tell, she is sober and putting her DBT training to use. There are times when I can see her stop herself, take a deep breath, and then put the brakes on what would have been an outburst in the past.

Perfect? No. She has gotten two traffic tickets in three months and ignored them both which resulted in letters threatening to suspend her license. She gave me the money to pay for one online and has to go downtown in person to pay the other. Both tickets cost more because of her procrastination.

However, I'll take things as they are. difficult child has been actually fun to hang out with. Yesterday, she and I went to see Magic Mike. I could see her giving me sideways glances during the particularly raunchy parts and then she finally turned to me and said, "Are you okay?" with real concern in her voice. I laughed and told her that I have known about sex for quite a while now.

Then, today, she was laying in my bed with me and we were watching the miniseries "The Kennedys." At one point, Rose and Joe are arguing over what to do with their developmentally disabled daughter and they called her their gift from God. difficult child laughed and said . . . "hey, just like me." She knows about our board acronyms.

It's nice to be able to laugh with difficult child.

~Kathy

pasajes4

Aww. Wallow in it. Let her know how much you are enjoying her company. Who knows maybe the tide has turned.

Nancy

That's great Kathy. It's so nice to see one of our difficult child family members doing so well. It's good that you get some time to enjoy each other's company.

Nancy

DDD

Thanks for sharing some UP news, Kathy. We all relish those family moments. Fingers crossed that this is a pattern. Hugs DDD

exhausted

Kathy, My heart is so glad for you. You are the reason she is doing so well. You have forgiven and been there. She feels close enough to lay in the bed with you. This is so hopefull for all of us.

As far as the tickets go, I don't think this just difficult child stuff. Ummm...a certain well behaved teacher had forgotten to take care of a parking ticket which ended up costing $70 bucks!! Maybe I am a difficult child??

Hugs to you both :)

S

Signorina

I am so happy for you both. I am so glad the chaos has stopped and that you are building an open, strong, calm relationship!! Thank you for sharing-it brings me hope.

busywend

That is great, Kathy! I love when the time you can spend is enjoyable rather than stressful. Ugh on the tickets - I am right there with you!

T

toughlovin

That is great Kathy.... and yes hold on because those moments are precious and show that they both want and can have the relationship with you, even if later it gets hard again.... so there is hope which is wonderful!!!

TL

Calamity Jane

Kathy,
Your daughter sounds like she is a hoot! I love the Magic Mike thing and the difficult child comment! I think you can exhale! We hold our breath for so long with difficult child's and wondrous things can happen when they take charge of themselves. It's great to read your post. All the best, for always.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thanks for sharing Kathy, I am so very happy to hear this. You two have turned a corner, she's doing a really good job in her recovery and you're enjoying your daughter, this is such good news. HUGS to you! Enjoy!

buddy

Really nice to hear she is working so hard and you are having nice times with her. Hope you have many more!

A

AmericanGirl

Kathy, that is exceptionally wonderful news!! So very happy for all of you!