difficult child is teaching herself to knit!

F

flutterbee

difficult child got a knitting kit from a crafts store and the instructions were very hard to follow and I am decidedly challenged when it comes to anything involving thread. :hammer: I found a yarn shop that offered knitting classes, but then "the event" happened and it got put on hold.

difficult child got online over the weekend and found a free "how to" knitting video. She has taught herself how to cast on and she's knitting! She is still struggling with binding off, but I'm sure she'll get it. It took her a couple of hours to master the casting on and the knitting, but she's knitted a couple of rows! She's so proud of herself! :smile:

I can see this being a great therapeutic tool for her anxiety.

Alisonlg

:bravo: That's awesome! I always wanted to know how to knit. I started off teaching myself, but of course everything I want to knit goes way beyond the "basics". LOL

I hope it turns out to be a great anti-anxiety tool for your difficult child!

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> well isn't she the industrious young lady! good for her.

knitting is considered very therapeutic. not only that it's productive. she might be interested in some of the organization who accept things like afghans for sick children or the elderly. one of my favorites is The Linus Project....they take blankets (made anyway you want...crochet, knit, quilt, etc.) then they distribute them to ill children from preemies to 18yo.

i have some links if she'd like. i also have some good knitting sites as well. about.com is a very good source.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> i'll PM them to you.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
What a wonderful hobby. I love knitting - have made a few prayer shawls over the last couple of months for breast cancer chemo patients.

Good job difficult child!

F

flutterbee

She became very frustrated tonight. Every time she starts a new row, she adds stitches and she's not supposed to add stitches. She can't figure out what she's doing wrong and of course she's obsessing on it. At one point, she was in tears.

She's never happy with anything less than perfection from herself. She's beating herself up because she's not coming out of the chute knitting all these fancy creations. She said it was all ruined and a waste of time. I asked her if she had fun while she was knitting. She said yes, but that it didn't matter because it wasn't any good. I told her that I thought that enjoying yourself was more important than the end product and that with practice she would get there.

Of course, I spent the evening trying to reinforce how wonderful it was that she took the initiative to learn this on her own and how well she was doing and that I never would have gotten so far on my own without someone to help me. I (honestly) marveled at what she had done so far. My little girl can do anything she wants if she puts her head to it. She just has to work on stopping the self-sabotage.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I know I wouldn't have gotten very far teaching myself to knit. My mother in law taught me how and it was hard enough. :hammer:

I do understand the perfectionist part though. I'm the same way. And I'll obsess til it's perfect. But when I finally do learn it, I never forget. lmao

Good for difficult child! :bravo: