difficult child opened up then retreated

FTN

difficult child approached and me said that she's sorry for misbehaving.

difficult child: I'm sorry for misbehaving earlier.
Me: Thats ok so long as you understand why that behavior is inappropriate.
difficult child: I didn't mean from today.
Me: What do you mean then kiddo?
difficult child: I've just been really mad at mom and you since she and my dad got a divorce.
Me: How so?
difficult child: Uhmmm nevermind.

So at least the cliche of being mad at the loving ones yet adores the felon, cheating, alcoholic, drug user, abusive, child molestor father has finally surfaced.

klmno

That seems like something a 9yo difficult child might have to sort through piece by piece, over time. At least she's started processing and thinking about it though! Looks like a good sign to me.

jenn4anthony

sounds like really positive step to me as well. slowly speak up on a daily basis and a full blown conversation is bound to take place. hugs and lots of luck!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Hurtful on one level but light at the end of the tunnell in another way. Awesome that difficult child feels so close to you that they can open up. You're definitely on the right track - just keep communication lines open - way to go!!!!!!!!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
PS - it must be hard to deal with the "others" in difficult child's life. Focus in on your relationship - it means at least one "normal" relationship is in tact - good for you and keep it up!!