Dishcloths

Pink Elephant

Okay, ladies... where do you buy yours, and what do you buy?

Our Walmart has one type to choose from, so they will not be getting my business. Pathetic.

It would have been maybe 10 years ago that I bought a bundle of dishcloths, like maybe 2 dozen, and I just pulled out the last one two days ago. Wish I could find another run of the same ones again. They wore like iron, were just the right colour (white with window pane checks in lighter pastel colours), and they were large and meaty.

I loathe dark-coloured dishcloths. I like white with stripes or checks... something I can bleach in the sink overnight every few weeks to freshen.

Well, that's my story, hope someone can help.

Have looked online, too, but have found nothing that jumps out at me.

Okay, looks like I have found a possible place to buy from. It's located in Australia, but if that means getting what I want, then so be it.

$29 for 50!

Just remembered, too... we have a couple of industrial supply outlets (restaurant/cleaning) type things, so will check those out as well.

Dish_Cloths.jpg

Last edited:

Tired out

I had a bundle of the type you are describing. I could soak in bleach and they were white and bright and the royal blue stitching never faded. I only have a couple left. I would like to find them again.

Pink Elephant

Hi, Tired Out.

I know, it's like you never know at the time you're buying something, but years later, after they turn out to be a gem of a find, Murphy's Law kicks in and bam, you can't find the same again.

You'd think we wouldn't be quite so fussy regarding the look and even colour of such utilitarian items, but when you're a fulltime homemaker like I am, you're staring at the things 7 days a week, and umpteen dozens of times each day, so getting what you want is important.

Pink Elephant

Hi, Apple. I did a quick check and found one style I like. Will keep on perusing the net in the days to come. I have to make a town trip in the next day or two, at which time I'm going to drop-in at the industrial supply warehouse and see what they have.

I'm so old-fashioned when it comes to old-fashioned things, but seldom shop for such items, however, when I do, I like to get exactly what I want.

Pink Elephant

I love cotton, too.

Now, when it comes to tea-towels, I sort have a system when it comes to their individual use.

Terrycloth, for general purpose drying of pots, pans, plates, etc
Linen, for fine glassware, stemware, crystal, etc
Waffle-knits, also great for general purpose drying of bulk dinner and cookware.

How about you, Apple?

AppleCori

I wash most things in the dishwasher, and I use the cotton dish towels to dry anything that needs drying.

I keep one on my stove front, for general purpose drying.

I use the smaller cloth ones for wiping countertops and such. I keep one in the area between the kitchen sink basins.

Pink Elephant

Your and my routines and methods are about the same, Apple. :)

I keep a handful of old baby cloth diapers under the sink for general purpose wiping. Super great for wiping countertops and spills.

BusynMember

I use the dishwasher mostly to wash and dry. If I have to wash by hand I use any color cloths I pick up wherever and let the dishware air dry. But my dishwasher gets a workout since I have one.

Pink Elephant

I used to have some old cloth diapers, but they are long gone. They were great, though. Very absorbent.
That's what I love about them, the absorbency and the softness. Great for dusting, too.

They're my cloths, and I don't allow anyone else to touch them. LOL! My husband knows, hands off.

Pink Elephant

I use the dishwasher mostly to wash and dry. If I have to wash by hand I use any color cloths I pick up wherever and let the dishware air dry. But my dishwasher gets a workout since I have one.
I wash and dry dishes the old-fashioned way, by-hand. Can't tell you the last time I started my automatic dishwasher. :) Just love washing and drying by-hand. It's my quiet time.

AppleCori

I can’t say that I “love” doing any housework. I like the house to look nice, so I do housework, but I can’t think of anything about it I love.

Oh, yeah, I love to be done with it!

BusynMember

Pink, I can think of better quiet time for me lol. Reading, writing, some TV, walking in nature, cuddling with my husband or dogs ( not in any order lol), hanging with my kids and friends etc. Washing dishes is boring to me, but I so appreciate our vast differences :) I think we are sort of opposies but I like and respect you very much!

Pink Elephant

I can’t say that I “love” doing any housework. I like the house to look nice, so I do housework, but I can’t think of anything about it I love.

Oh, yeah, I love to be done with it!
I'm the same. I love a clean and organized environment, but don't want it to control my daily life. even though it sort of does. Hate to admit the fact, but I cannot lie about it. I'm a fuss-nut.

Pink Elephant

Pink, I can think of better quiet time for me lol. Reading, writing, some TV, walking in nature, cuddling with my husband or dogs ( not in any order lol), hanging with my kids and friends etc. Washing dishes is boring to me, but I so appreciate our vast differences :) I think we are sort of opposies but I like and respect you very much!
I totally understand, and like yourself, SOT, I 100% respect your ways, too. :)

AppleCori

I'm the same. I love a clean and organized environment, but don't want it to control my daily life. even though it sort of does. Hate to admit the fact, but I cannot lie about it. I'm a fuss-nut.

I don’t let housework control my life. I do my everyday routine and clean up after myself(and implore everyone else in my household to do the same) so housework is not a burden. I actually do very little housework but the house stays pretty clean.

What’s your routine?

Pink Elephant

Well... not really a routine anymore seeing that it's down to just dear husband and myself, Apple, but I like to wash floors throughout the house twice weekly (if I can), vacuum once weekly, and strip beds and dust every week to week and a half. Summer months are the busiest for me with gardening and outdoorsy stuff to do, and figuring in the hot weather that the summer months bring, beds are typically stripped more in people's homes than throughout the colder months of the year.

From Fall till Spring, I usually strip the dear husbands and my bed every other week, so twice monthly, but a lot of times that just isn't possible throughout the Summer months.

The bathrooms get cleaned every day, and the floors are washed each and every day) in the bathrooms as well. As for the kitchen, that's where we live mostly, so that's always kept clean and organized. As far as I'm concerned, a house can be relaxed as far as cleanliness goes, but when it comes to the kitchen and bathroom, those two rooms should always be spotless, no exceptions to that rule.

As for light fixtures and other miscellaneous things, I tackle those as I find the time, usually in the Fall when the weather cools and the windows and doors aren't open anymore. It really is amazing how dusting things get throughout the Summer months when the windows and doors are open.

As for laundry, I tend to that chore as needed. Two, maybe three loads per week.

What's your routine, Apple?