DNA test?

BusynMember

I gave my little rescue dog a DNA test. It made me think of having one myself. I dont want to connect with anyone who shares my DNA, but it would be fun to know if I really just came from tne two places I heard about. With the sparse info I was told about my roots, a surprise wouldnt shock me. All I heard was Russian and German but my DNA people were also Jewish so I wonder if that makes it come back Middle Eastern. Its not too expensive.

Anyone try it? Is it worth it?

elizabrary

We just did one for my granddaughter. Her father, who she doesn't have a relationship with anyway, was adopted and he is black. So she was interested in finding out what part of Africa her ancestors are from. We can't wait to get the results. My brother did one and there were no surprises for us- mostly British, then Irish and then Norwegian. I think it's fascinating.

elizabrary

Well it was very interesting. Her African American side of the family came mainly from Cameroon and the Congo. They were able to give a migration pattern for her family because they know people brought from those 2 countries as slaves entered the US in Virginia. We have started learning more about the people in Cameroon and the Congo and about the countries as well. We have also been connected with many, many people that she is related to in one way or another. Who knows what all we will discover. Definitely worth it!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I just got my results a few weeks ago from Ancestory.

I thought I was mainly Irish and Scottish and a bit of French and American Indian.

It turns out I am
48% French
45% English, Wales, NW Europe
4% Irish & Scottish
3% Native American

My maiden name is Scottish so the small amount was surprising. My mother always said she was 1/4 Native American. She had red hair, freckled complexion and almost black eyes. Very unique combination. My older sister is a redhead (different father), and three of her four sons are redheads. Our youngest son is a redhead.

Go figure.

BusynMember

We got the dog's results today. Our little 9 lb. baby is 78 percent chihuahua, 11 percent min pin (he looks very minpin) and we were shocked and lol to read he is 9 per cent Chow Chow!! :)

elizabrary

We used Ancestry. I read pros and cons for several online and at this point it seems like Ancestry and 23 and Me are the most highly rated.

Copabanana

I just read some about options .The one that appeals to me is myheritagedna and maybe ancestry. I want to know mainly if I have Spanish Jewish or Sephardic dna in addition to Ashkenazi like swot which I know for sure. I guess I'm interested in wildcards too.

Spain is granting citizenship to Sephardic Jews who meet specific criteria by october as reparations for expelling and killing everybody in 1492. That would not be my motivation but it's interesting.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Sephardic Jews is a nationality??? I think I am Akanazi, but I hope I am something different too.

I kind am looking for a big surprise, like Italian :) Or Swedish (ha ha, suuuure!)

Copabanana

No. There is lots of controversy if it's detectable. But for $79 it would be interesting.

Italian wouldn't be that farfetched in my opinion.

I would love Greek or Portuguese...

Let's do it swot.

I read that 40% of ashkenazi Jews are descended from only four women. Maybe we're cousins.

Last edited:

BusynMember

That would be SO cool!!!

But I heard the better DNA tests are more expensive?

My grands and parents gave us very little ancestry background (and I didnt push) but all I remember is Germany and Russia mentioned. I dont think anyone in my background was not Jewish and they dont live in italy.

But I still have a fantasy that maybe I was given half arsed info and maybe part of me is from somewhere unexpected. That would really excite me (I excite easily lol).

I would like a part of me not to be Jewish. Sadly I have such horrible memories of how I was mistreated by Jews in my family and the Jewish commu ity I grew up in. I feel very NOT Jewish.

Of course I know there are so many kind Jews. I sadly just didnt meet many that were nice to me.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
I should do it, especially since my dad’s mother was adopted. We were told she was Italian like her adopted parents, but no one knows that for sure.

I’m really unsure how this happened, but someone did this and my cousin got a call from a man who said he was his biological brother. My cousin didn’t provide me with a ton of details, except to tell me the guy had proof that his mother had a baby out of wedlock at a young age who she put up for adoption and apparently never told anyone. This guy is like 70. My cousin is about 60. He provided the proof and my cousin believes him and they are friendly. I don't know. I am not sure how I would feel about that.

BusynMember

No one ever knows for sure. Nobody alive can possibly know all of our ancesters. :)

Although it isnt possible, I would love to be part Native American. I admire their beliefs so much and love their spirituality.

I wonder if my adopted kids will ever do it. Jumper is many different nationalities on her birthmother's side. Her DNA profile would be African, European and who knows what else? I remember her birthmother mentioning Italian, Irish, even Scananavian. So much. I should have written it all down.

Last edited:

Tired out

You make me want to do it.
My dad always said, "you're American. a little or this, a little of that."
Dad's side, Britain,Sweden, Scotland, he was born in the USA, His mother was born in Canada. My mom's dad had German heritage what else I don't know, her father and Mother were born in the USA.
I've tried doing some searching on-line through the census bureau. I found my father's father and 14 (of his 16) brother's and sisters in the 1906 census. My father's mother isn't in the census becasue she moved to the USA when she married my grandfather.

How about this.. the FB vacation group I am in , a guy joined and his name is the same as my maiden name, his first name is a spelling variation of my dad's. Of course I was curious so I clicked on him and he looks so much like my nephew it is scary. I messaged him and sent him a pick of my nephew. He was blown away, he lives in Scotland and there are "missing" great-great uncles that left Scotland to parts unknown..

KTMom91

My mom did the test through Ancestry, and had a few surprises. I want to take the test and see if it matches up with what I know from doing genealogy.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I used Ancestory because that is what my coworker used and was really "into it" and had the membership for a long time. You pay monthly which really is what hooks you up to help you create a family tree. I think that provider has the biggest resource network because they were the originals.

Also they tie in with a reality TV show that I watch. It's about adoptees finding their family and they use Ancestory. I can't remember the name of the show right now naturally!