Does anyone know...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif]of a website where I can explore a career change? If I do a search, I mostly get results that are either sales pitches or colleges and money making schemes. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif]I am looking for something that will help me figure out what careers would be more suited to the person I am and what my interests are rather than what I've already done and am good at. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif]I've been at this job for a while - 15 years - and while it's been a means to an end (helped me support and raise my daughers with a very flexible schedule and very good money and benefits), I am 46 years old, my kids are grown and *almost* independent and I am BORED. I feel under appreciated at work, and many of my duties have been spread to others, so there is little challenge. I do my job well, but I'm slipping because it's just not holding my attention anymore. Much as I like having this job and knowing what I do, etc., I hate it at the same time. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif]I am seriously considering going back to school, but I don't know what I should go back for. So, I want to find out what jobs are most needed out there and how I fit into that equation...how to utilize the skills I have and how to add those I will need, what is required, what the pay rates are for this area, etc. I have some college under my belt, mostly with focus in business and social work, probably a few credits shy of a general associates, but I'm not there. I'd love to use the educational credits I have, of course, but I really do not want to go back to school for business. Ugh. been there done that. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif]So, any suggestions? [/FONT]

trinityroyal

A couple of thoughts off the top of my head...

Jo, have you ever done the Myers-Briggs test? If not, there are lots of "unofficial" versions of the test out there on the internet. A lot of them have career advice based on personality, skills and interests. That might get you started and point you in the direction of things you might like.

One thing that might help you in narrowing the field:

Take a sheet of poster paper and divide it in half.
On one side, make a list of everything about any job you've ever had that you've really enjoyed doing.
On the other side, make a list of the things you've disliked most about every job.

This might help you to find a good direction to go in.

For example, if you really like creating processes, organizing things, documenting procedures and instructions, then perhaps a Technical Writer or Instructional Designer might be right for you. This is just one example, but there are plenty out there.

Also, if you do a Google search on "career finder" or "career builder" or other such terms, you might find some resources to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.
Trinity

DammitJanet

I think Suz has posted before about going to high schools or colleges and taking some sort of test that helps you decide what careers are good fits. I think this is a free test. Maybe check with your local schools?

everywoman

I know that our local Voc Rehab and our Employment Security Commissions have some programs that allow you to determine the job you would best be suited for.

I've been helping Jana with some research---and anything in the medical field is hot.
Have you looked into medical coding or billing---that area pays well, and there is a lot of demand nationally for those poistions. I think you can even do the coursework online or through you local community college.

eekysign

Seconding the Myers-Briggs thing. May seem a little hokey, but my Mom was trained to admin the test, and did so for a few years. Got my best friend and I interested in it when we were younger. We STILL sit around discussing how to approach a friend who is a certain type---and it absolutely works. It's not a "omigod, you're like totally a butterfly!" sort of test---it just has you describe yourself by answering a bunch of questions. Then it tells you the shorthand description of your basic personality factors, and then you can look up the type of careers that sort of personality might enjoy.

For example, I am an "ENTP" - basically, that means I'm generally pretty extroverted, I'm big-picture oriented (not good with details!!), I'm super-logical (not emotional at all, it's my big downfall), and I can't pre-plan to save my life (hellllo, procrastination). That's a big simple version, but basically it. Here's my "career list" from one site, and they're dead-on: http://www.personalitypage.com/ENTP_car.html

It may help at least give you some ideas!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Most adult educations centers (where you would get a GED) have a new thing called the Work-Keys program. You can go there, take a test and it will tell you and grade you on your strengths and weaknesses.

Dude is doing that in school - and my girlfriend just went from driving bus full time to being a teachers aid because she tested in at state required level after doing the work keys and getting high marks.

I don't think there is a fee either.

Star*

call 911........call 911
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

This is supposedly similar to the test mentioned above - although I have my doubts.....

I gave it a whirl, and it said I am in a population of less than 2% of the people in the world.....I read further and it nailed me to a T. My type is ENJT...
11 % slightly expressed extravert
38% moderately expressed intuitive personality
25% moderately expressed thinking personality
44% monderately expressed judging personality (huh)

It has a place to identify your career -

Mine said - military field marshall (ROFLMAO) but then again I would be a good leader....

trinityroyal

Star, I just tried the HumanMetrics test you posted.
Although the questions are quite different, the results are consistent with the "official" Myers-Briggs that I took several years ago.

I'm an INTJ, as expected.

Introverted 78%
Intuitive 75%
Thinking 100%
Judging 100%

(Last time I took it I was 100% introverted. I must be starting to loosen up in my old age ;-)

Apparently, I'm a mastermind. (If that means that I like to shop at Mastermind Toys, then they're right. Otherwise, I'm not so sure...)

trinityroyal

Oh...and by "judging", they don't mean judgemental.

As it was explained to me by the practitioner who scored my test, Judging vs. Perceiving refers to your ability to plan and organize, vs. your need to perceive new information.

The more highly judging you are, the more you want to plan things ahead and be organized. The more highly perceiving you are, the more likely you are to wait until the last minute to do something.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh Jeez. Our server at work kicked us off all day!! How frustrating.

Anyway, thanks so much. I took the test and here is how it played out:

I am an ISFJ

Introverted = 11%
Sensing = 1%
Feeling = 62%
Judging = 44%

My top three areas of career should be, or, I would be best suited for:

Healthcare Support
Military
Protective service

I have always been interested in the medical field, in particular a respiratory therapist, and that is one of the vocations mentioned. Unfortunately, I never took chemistry and it's a requirement. So...maybe something else. I've always worked with papers and I'm just not that into it anymore. I'd like to do something that requires me to move more and interact with people, more hands on work. I'm sick of sitting at a desk.

So it looks like I have some exploring to do. There is a vocational school nearby. I am going to see what they offer. Thanks~

DammitJanet

Jo...think about radiology. They offer courses at my local CC for radiology techs. That fascinates me now. If you want to be in contact with people, move around, talk to all sorts of patients...that would be a great job.

flutterby

Fly away!
Trinity - we're twins!

Jo - I'm glad you're exploring other options. You've been expressing frustration for some time. I wish you lots of luck. :D I know you'll do well no matter what you choose.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am calling our local CC to speak with an advisor in the Health field. They have several Associates in Science degree programs there and since it's a CC, it won't be as expensive. I have several (I think 5/6) classes that will transfer well - that's 15 credits! The program I am looking at is in the social work/psychology field. At another CC there is a radiologist program; it's a certificate program. I will see which one feels right for me. I definitely like the idea of working in a health-related field, so I'm off in the right direction at least.

Thanks for the support - I really need the push. I am riddled with fear about dropping what I know and going for something I don't.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Jo, you are at a great age to change careers. Mid-forties are still considered "kids" in my book. :)

Janet has a good memory- she was right about the high schools having free "interest" tests in the guidance counseling area. It might not hurt to call your local high school to see If you can go over there on your lunch hour to take the test. My district was so helpful and welcomed me happily. The test results were dead-on.

Suz

everywoman

Jog---growth only happens when we are willing to step out of our comfort zone and confront our fears---only in doing so can we move forward in life---I know you will do well.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Very inspiring post..........

I'm going to take belly dancing classes.

If I make money at it - you'll all see my video on You Tube :tongue:

trinityroyal

Star, I took belly dancing classes many years ago.
It was SUCH a blast. And at the end of the term, I could actually see my abdominal muscles. Very very cool!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Star! I want to take Belly Dancing lessons too!!! easy child has been begging me for YEARS to do it with her! We can exchange vidoes on youtube and people can vote on them...hahaha, you will undoubtedly win!