Don't ALL teens have conduct disorder?

Baggy Bags

I'm sooooo frickin tired of hearing this. Makes me want to shake people. It's such a stupid name, why couldn't they come up with something better??? It sounds like nothing, yet it destroys lives. And you can't talk about it publicly because then you stigmatize your child. Can't explain it in detail, because you make them sound like psychopaths, sorry, I mean people with anti-social personalities. Aaaaaargh!!!! I'm so tired of feeling like I have to explain this to people who don't have a clue, and just keep on judging anyway. Sorry for the rant. Anyone else feeling this, please rant with me.

Triedntrue

I understand your frustration. Dealing with people who haven't been there or dealt with our kids/adults is frustrating. Even law enforcement is not well informed in many cases.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My son went off the rails at 15 and got the CD diagnosis as well.

I was terrified!!! I started searching everywhere for what it meant! I then found this site but I didn't think this was really "us'; this was too hard core. We were at the very beginning of our almost 8 year journey and I was in a fog. My head was spinning.

From what I'm told that is really not a diagnosis but a catch all diagnosis waiting to see what is really developing. That was scarier yet!

My son's psychiatrist told me he would probably spend his life in jail. Gulp and internal tremble for me. My son did not agree with this but I was starting to believe it may come true.

No all teenagers do not have this diagnosis. My older son never acted like this or went off the rails like this. Not even close. My stepson had some issues but LEARNED from his mistakes. Our younger son did NOT. He did not care. To me, that is the difference between the normal teen growing pains and a more serious problem.

My son turned out to have anxiety which turned into an addiction to prescription drugs. Addiction is an illness. And it's an illness whereby the patient doesn't think they need help. Not sure there is anything worse than that.

Good luck and stay strong. If I had to do over I would have put my son in a military high school or some other very strict program.

BloodiedButUnbowed

I agree that it is all too easy for outsiders with typical children to judge us. Not for one minute could they walk in our shoes. It takes a unique strength to parent children like ours. The judgers and haters don't have what it takes and that's proven by their attitudes.

Most children are not like ours. Most children respect authority, even in their adolescent years when their job is to challenge and push boundaries. Most children want a future for themselves, a positive future. Most children care about their grades, want our approval and love, and are willing to work for what they want. Not my stepsons. Perhaps not many of our children.

Most children can function in society without being enabled or housed in a highly structured program regulating their every action, because they are unable to regulate themselves to the point where they can participate in life. That to me is the difference between kids like ours and typical children.

ButterflyGuardian

I agree that it is all too easy for outsiders with typical children to judge us. Not for one minute could they walk in our shoes. It takes a unique strength to parent children like ours. The judgers and haters don't have what it takes and that's proven by their attitudes.

Most children are not like ours. Most children respect authority, even in their adolescent years when their job is to challenge and push boundaries. Most children want a future for themselves, a positive future. Most children care about their grades, want our approval and love, and are willing to work for what they want. Not my stepsons. Perhaps not many of our children.

Most children can function in society without being enabled or housed in a highly structured program regulating their every action, because they are unable to regulate themselves to the point where they can participate in life. That to me is the difference between kids like ours and typical children.

I'm new here - just started today. I was just browsing through and my oh my did your comment hit home. I'm a guardian to two teenage boys that I didn't get until they were 11 and 14 (and even then, their dad still pushes horrible things) . They weren't raised the way a lot of children are raised. The oldest is doing alright, but the youngest - he is beyond in need of some help. I'm so glad I found this forum that has people who understand. I feel like when I talk about the things that the youngest does - I get judged, they say "all teens have issues" and told to "just punish him harder". They aren't in my shoes and they don't know the daily struggles we go through! Sigh. I'm at a huge breaking point today. Thank you for your comment and making me feel like there are people who understand!!!!!!!!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I'm new here - just started today. I was just browsing through and my oh my did your comment hit home. I'm a guardian to two teenage boys that I didn't get until they were 11 and 14 (and even then, their dad still pushes horrible things) . They weren't raised the way a lot of children are raised. The oldest is doing alright, but the youngest - he is beyond in need of some help. I'm so glad I found this forum that has people who understand. I feel like when I talk about the things that the youngest does - I get judged, they say "all teens have issues" and told to "just punish him harder". They aren't in my shoes and they don't know the daily struggles we go through! Sigh. I'm at a huge breaking point today. Thank you for your comment and making me feel like there are people who understand!!!!!!!!
Welcome. You may want to start your own thread so you can start your own post for replies!

BloodiedButUnbowed

Welcome TD. Please consider changing your user name if it is your real name - this is a public forum and it is possible for non-registered users to read our posts. Using pseudonyms is one way we protect ourselves and our families.

ButterflyGuardian

Welcome TD. Please consider changing your user name if it is your real name - this is a public forum and it is possible for non-registered users to read our posts. Using pseudonyms is one way we protect ourselves and our families.

Thank you for the comment- I realized after I joined that others had different names but their original! Do you know how to change it or who I can ask? It won't give me the option :(