Don't know if this makes me feel any better...

TerryJ2

But husband volunteered at the local college football game yesterday, to help with-injuries.
He said a frosh was benched (or whatever expression they use) because he hadn't turned in his homework all quarter.
Argh!
That's exactly what difficult child has been doing lately. He came home with-his rep't card Fri: all Bs, Cs, and one D+ in reading. Sigh.:sick:
The teacher's note said he needs to take personal responsibility for himself and his work and quit blaming others and making up excuses.
Ya think?

KTMom91

Terry, once you discover a way to convince difficult child to accept personal responsibility, quit making up excuses, and stop blaming others, please share. This is info I need!

Jena

Hi,

That's cool that he volunteered his time to them!! As far as our difficult child is concerned see a report card like that would make me thrilled......... we just got our progress report my oldest is failing two classes and is maintaining a c in the rest of them. ugh.

What grade is he in if he's 11? is that 7th? I'm likin' the b's and c's can always be brought up to b's. Does he have a rough time with reading in general? Or just lack of effort and applying thing, as with my daughter?

I know it's hard we want so much for them. if only they'd listen

witzend

Maybe next time husband can take difficult child along so he can see some logical consequences? I tend to agree with his teacher. For the most part, for most of our kids, I don't think that they can't do the work. Yours at 11 y/o may not be ready to go cold turkey on this, but I think that getting them to figure out what works for them to get the homework done should be our goal.

My niece was Learning Disability (LD), and needed special aids at about that age. It was something about having to be able to see and hear in order to process. She couldn't just read or just hear a lesson. She did figure it out, and had to use those skills all the way through high school and college. She's a pharmacist now. That's good money!

Maybe that's the key? Realizing that they need to learn different skills to accomplish what others do without those special aids?

TerryJ2

He's not in 7th ... he's in 5th. We held him back in 3rd gr. I thought it would have yielded more consistent results but it seemed to only give him a boost the following yr.
I think if we could make TVs and videos disappear off the face of the earth, difficult child would get straight A's. :)

Wiped Out

Staff member
I haven't figured out a way yet to get easy child to take that responsibility! It's so frustratiing when they are capable but won't do the work!

LittleDudesMom

Terry,

this is an issue with difficult children and pcs! Like KTmom said, let us know if you find what works! I also agree with Witz, if it's allowed, perhaps husband can let difficult child accompany him to the games so he can see some real life consequences. It may also be an opportunity for mentoring with the older boys.

Sharon