the shaking gets a bit stronger
the shelves rattle
groaning of wood upon tile
my chair moves
a second or two passes
it is over.

leafy

HMBgal

I live in earthquake and tsunami country. I live in a house with a suspended floor that is always vibrating with small movements whenever anyone is in the house or the washing machine is in its spin cycle so I have to look to see if my hanging plants are swaying to determine what I should do next. Writing poetry is the ultimate cool thing to do next. I'm usually jumping on Facebook and/or texting to check out what's going on.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Yikes!

We had one a few years ago in the middle of the night and I live in Illinois where it is pretty rare! I believe they are more common where you live Leafy?

I sat up in bed and told my husband to "make the bed stop shaking". LOL I was half asleep. It was very creepy to me; something from a demonic movie or something because I did not know they could happen in Illinois nor had I ever "felt" such a thing!

New Leaf

We don't have too many earthquakes here, maybe once or twice a year. It is such a strange sensation. The undulating ones are the weirdest, the floor literally rolls.
Between my daughters sudden appearance, the earthquake and the detective calling it was a rather bizarre weekend........well my life is kind of full of bizarre weekends if you know what I mean. Always something around the bend to gear up for.....
I live in a house with a suspended floor that is always vibrating with small movements whenever anyone is in the house or the washing machine is in its spin cycle so I have to look to see if my hanging plants are swaying to determine what I should do next.
HMB, I have visited the Big Island and felt several larger tremors there. It is such an odd feeling, like the silence before and after the storm, a time in between breaths that seems to last forever.
I like the poem... not the fact you just had a minor earthquake.
Thanks IC, I didn't even think of it as a poem, lol, just writing, but thank you for the kudos. Earthquakes are strange and eery. Glad everything stayed put. We haven't had large ones here (knock on wood). I hope to never experience that.....
(((HUGS)))
leafy

New Leaf

We had one a few years ago in the middle of the night and I live in Illinois where it is pretty rare! I believe they are more common where you live Leafy?
WOW, never heard of an earthquake in Illinois. That would be extra weird. Yes, they are more common here, starting on the Big Island because of the volcanoes, then make their way down the island chain. They are strange feeling aren't they? It must have taken awhile for you to go back to sleep!
leafy