easy child moving on

Sunlight

sigh. my easy child, Nick, is moving out. wah! :crying:

he is 29. he is a police officer and drives over an hour each way to his job. so it is time. he found a townhouse to share with his buddy so they can both be nearer to their jobs. (also to entertain their gals I suspect).

nick has moved out three times but moved back for diff reasons each time. I never get tired of Nick. this time he has been here almost two yrs. he is never a problem, and I am sad he is going to move out, but happy for him. he said he doesnt want to be a 30 yr old guy still living with his mom.

I know this has to be and he needs his own space, so I wont let him see me cry... but I am sure gonna miss knowing he is here.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
{{hugs}} I know what you mean...it's healthy for him to go on his own, but you hate to see him go. Kinda how I feel about my easy child moving to VA for 6 months to complete an internship. Boy, am I going to miss her.

Sunlight

ant called and told me he had talked to his brother for about a half hour. ant says nick is excited. ant also told me this will make us all grow closer. I am glad my sons are friends again.

tpcmom

Awww, I understand how you feel, yet I also understand how he feels :smile:

It is good that he is moving on in his life, and maye Ant is right, this may be the start of something good.

DammitJanet

I know its sad when they leave but its the best thing that happens to them. I cant imagine having Jamie come back to live with us. He would be miserable in a few days. Once they are grown and independent they just cant come home again.

I cant wait to get every last one of them gone.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>Okay, antsmom, would you date a guy who lived with his mother?....just a thought.....I know it's tough when they decide to live elsewhere, but it will make getting together a special treat....It had to happen sometime....and he isn't dropping off the face of the earth, just down the road....</span>

:thumb:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he said he doesnt want to be a 30 yr old guy still living with his mom </div></div>

:thumb:

I know you will miss him but it's time that everyone had his/her own separate residences. This is a good thing.

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I'm a big fan of kids separating from home. I have nudged my kids to find their own space. They come and go. easy child is out on his own at 18. He struggles but he also seems more adult like.
Good for your son for finding his own way. You are right, marrying a guy who lives with mom at 30 is a little disconcerting.
You can pamper him when he comes home to visit.
</span>

everywoman

My pcdaughter just moved out last week. She will be 18 in Nov. Pcson moved out the summer after he graduated from high school and has been in and out for brief periods but never longer than 3 months. I, too, believe they should leave and get on with thier lives. I feel my job is to raise them to be responsible, self-supporting adults. difficult child, on the other hand, seems to be quite comfortable here, which is kind of scarey===husband lived at home until he was 32????? (Yikes, I hope that is not the story here!)

Sunlight

well today is the day. I went and bought him all new towels and bath stuff, medicine cabinet stuff, paper products. he is taking all the stuff from his bedroom but not much else. the other guy has everything to make a home because he has lived on his own a long time. so, the only things I can add are stuff for Nicks own bathroom and bedroom.

I am happy for him but sad for me. he is the last vestige of a family in this house.

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Sounds nice that you did some things for him. I'm sure he appreciates it. Remember being family doesn't necessarily mean under the same roof.
Parenting sure requires a lot of sacrifice on the mom's part but it's for their benefit. I miss my easy child too and I bite my tongue. Instead I send funny cards mostly to cheer me up. LOL. I'm sure he thinks they are corny.
</span>

Sunlight

I am looking forward to making it into a (second) second guest room. ant's room is empty too. I will miss his rent money...lol

he may have to wait til tomorrow...yippee....it is raining today. he and I have been spending the day together sorting out things. I gave him the money for a rental truck to move his stuff out.

today I am going out to dinner with friends so I dont see him packing so much. tonight will be the last night we both sleep here. I know I will sniff into my pillow.

DammitJanet

Janet, just because they move out doesnt mean they arent part of the family anymore. They are just living on their own now. It is really much better. I love going to visit Jamie. I even like going to see Cory at his place. Of course, Jamie is much more settled and responsible. I do miss him more with him being 5 hours away and we dont see him but a few times a year but there is always the phone and when we do see him its a real joy. It amazes me how much he has grown and how well he does for how young he really is.

The best part of parenting is working ourselves out of the day to day part of our jobs. We get to stand back and admire our handiwork and see them soar. They get to take off use what we taught them and have kids of their own, or get married, have careers, etc. Thats our reward.

Sunlight

this is hard to do mostly because this kid has always been so easy. I hope he does come back and visit and vice versa. his work schedule as a cop is so hectic that most of the time he was here, he was asleep anyway..he worked double shifts a lot. I miss him already.

I do like to visit ant at his apartment. it amuses me to see how tidy and cute he has it fixed with my old household stuff. he hung one side of the curtain upside down by the hem for about a month before I figured out what was wrong. he makes his bed, we sit on his couch, we talk.

Nick will be farther away, harder to visit. sigh and double sigh. we already email each other jokes 'n stuff. that will continue I am sure. I love that kid, I have told him since birth that he is the best thing that ever happened to me in my life--still is.

busywend

Ew, you are feeling the empty nest syndrome. I think you should plan a standing dinner - either every Sunday or every 3rd Sunday or something like that if his schedule allows it.