Educating the Public

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My son has been in sober living (this time) for a few months and other than a minor slip with weed (a bump in the road but we have to move on) has been doing well and following all the rules - first time ever. He is very well liked and I only hear good things. First time ever.

He is working at a job that he really likes and we just gave him his car back with the house manager monitoring his car use for work only. He works with older people which I think is good. Found that out when husband asked if there were any cute girls his age working there. By "older people" he probably means 30 (LOL).

Son just got his braces off last week. What an ordeal and expense that was. He had them put on in Illinois and teeth were not yet straight so had to find a new orthodontist where he is now (out of state) and pay a boatload of money to have continued care for the past 1+ year.

So he has a bad molar. Needs root canal and crown. He has not been in any pain at all from this thankfully. He is getting this work done next Monday.

A very wise person suggested I let the dental office know that he should not be given any pain medications after his procedure. I didn't even think of this as I did not get offered any pain medications when I had a root canal.

I spoke to my husband about it and he agreed that I should let them know. I called them and they pulled his chart and said that "he did not indicate on his form that he has any addictions. The box is not checked."

Seriously? That is why I am calling I told her - he is in sober living - does this lady ever watch the news about the opiod addiction epidemic by chance? She asked if he can have codeine. No he cannot have codeine. I feel sad that I have to do this. Now they will look at him differently.

She said she'd make a note in his chart. My stomach is churning. In some ways I feel I betrayed him but I am trying to protect him. This sucks.

pigless in VA

RN, I think it was better to inform them than to risk his sobriety. I think you were brave for facing the stomach churning. He is not far enough along to be truthful on the form, so you helped out.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
My son has been in sober living (this time) for a few months and other than a minor slip with weed (a bump in the road but we have to move on) has been doing well and following all the rules - first time ever. He is very well liked and I only hear good things. First time ever.

He is working at a job that he really likes and we just gave him his car back with the house manager monitoring his car use for work only. He works with older people which I think is good. Found that out when husband asked if there were any cute girls his age working there. By "older people" he probably means 30 (LOL).

Son just got his braces off last week. What an ordeal and expense that was. He had them put on in Illinois and teeth were not yet straight so had to find a new orthodontist where he is now (out of state) and pay a boatload of money to have continued care for the past 1+ year.

So he has a bad molar. Needs root canal and crown. He has not been in any pain at all from this thankfully. He is getting this work done next Monday.

A very wise person suggested I let the dental office know that he should not be given any pain medications after his procedure. I didn't even think of this as I did not get offered any pain medications when I had a root canal.

I spoke to my husband about it and he agreed that I should let them know. I called them and they pulled his chart and said that "he did not indicate on his form that he has any addictions. The box is not checked."

Seriously? That is why I am calling I told her - he is in sober living - does this lady ever watch the news about the opiod addiction epidemic by chance? She asked if he can have codeine. No he cannot have codeine. I feel sad that I have to do this. Now they will look at him differently.

She said she'd make a note in his chart. My stomach is churning. In some ways I feel I betrayed him but I am trying to protect him. This sucks.
We have a lot of patients very resistant to sedation and they all demand oxy for pain management and all declare they are allergic to codeine. They get Toradol and extra strength Tylenol.

RN0441

We have a lot of patients very resistant to sedation and they all demand oxy for pain management and all declare they are allergic to codeine. They get Toradol and extra strength Tylenol.

Do you work in a dental office LBL? I guess if you're not an addict then the painkillers are fine!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've had a couple of root canals and was given hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Vicodin/Norco) after each. I have a rather sour attitude about root canals as in both of mine, the teeth cracked under the crowns and had to be pulled a couple of years later.

The last couple of times I had teeth pulled, I was offered pain medications and refused them. OTC medications were fine. When I had my remaining upper teeth pulled in the 90s and got my upper plate, I did use narcotics for 3 days afterwards, and then switched to OTC medications, so I could go back to work.

Littleboylost

If you are an addict it is very difficult for single sedation to be effective for you. Case in point had an addict in a week ago. She talked throughout the entire extraction of her Upper wisdoms and had maximum dosing or Medazolam. We didn't even attempt the losers because she was so agitated that she was awake. She will have to go into hospital and have fentanyl and Midazolam to put her out or if that is not enough propafal (?sp).

RN0441

Well I'm thinking a shot for his dental work should work fine. I had several shots because my tooth was extremely sensitive.

That's all I had and my tooth hurt going in and they had to drill through a crown. The crown came out okay until a few months later when it broke and I had to have that replaced.

Littleboylost

RN, I think it was better to inform them than to risk his sobriety. I think you were brave for facing the stomach churning. He is not far enough along to be truthful on the form, so you helped out.
No one ever ticks that box by the way. However when I assess them I always say if you have a history of drug dependency it's best you inform me or we will not be providing you with enough sedation. Many of them inform me and it is for the better. There is a stigma and I understand them not wanting tic a box on a form. Moms are often the ones who call us and inform us as well and we appreciate it. It does require more sedation and we see better off informed.

ksm

I remember when my ex daughter in law had her teeth cleaned and was upset that they wouldn't give her Rx pain pills... Should have been a big red flag. If I knew then what I know now... Ksm

Littleboylost

No one ever ticks that box by the way. However when I assess them I always say if you have a history of drug dependency it's best you inform me or we will not be providing you with enough sedation. Many of them inform me and it is for the better. There is a stigma and I understand them not wanting tic a box on a form. Moms are often the ones who call us and inform us as well and we appreciate it. It does require more sedation and we see better off informed.

Littleboylost

My son stole my OxyContin in April when I had major surgery. My husband went to replace the pain medications. I said F that get me Toradol. When I was resting I opened my eyes to find my Son with his hands on the new pills and I said awww too bad. He was so angry. He denied taking the oxy and then admitted he took it and said he took it all to kill himself. Was nailed snorting it a day later, after a meeting with his addiction couselor. That is when I really knew this kid was in even deeper than I thought....still felt guilty for having him arrested...not now. I keep no booze or narcotics in the Hosue I keep my money in my bra and my keys on my person at all times even at night. I sleep with my keys and my money. What we do.

pigless in VA

LBL, so sorry that your son was heisting your medications. Lloyd did in fact check that box in doctor's and dentist's offices. When he was sane, he was very honest.

Crayola13

Root canals aren't that bad now days. He probably won't need pain narcotics.

Littleboylost

LBL, so sorry that your son was heisting your medications. Lloyd did in fact check that box in doctor's and dentist's offices. When he was sane, he was very honest.
I don't think for most it is a matter of honesty but shame and guilt. There are a few who are active addicts that are narcotic seeking; and the family (usually the mom) often call ahead to warn us.

RN0441

Glad I'm not alone LBL. It's creepy to make that call, it really is.

It's a world that I do not want any part of but here I am!!!

bluebell

No advice, but an anecdote. I had them remove my son's wisdom teeth years ago with a local and gave him advil afterwards. They thought I was nuts, and yeah it was super awkward trying to explain that my son is a drug addict to the sweet buttoned up lady at the front. Went for a consultation for my daughter's wisdom teeth removal yesterday, and boy did I save a lot of money on that method of surgery to boot!
I don't get pain medications for my root canals offered, I've needed pain relief before the root canal, but I've found advil cuts tooth pain better than an opiate, without all those pesky side effects.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Do you work in a dental office LBL? I guess if you're not an addict then the painkillers are fine!
Actually, codeine (and heroin) cause a massive release of histamine. Codeine, especially, is notorious for making people itch like crazy as a result of the histamine release.

As regards Toradol: I WISH the dentists I've seen would give it out. I LOVE that stuff. I became enamored of it several years ago when I visited the hospital ER up North with my neck acting up so badly I could barely move. Managed to drive to the hospital.

Nurse says, "How about a nice shot?" I said, "I have to drive home and I live alone." That's when I had my first Toradol shot and a RX for 5 days of tablets. AFAIK, it works better than narcotics for musculoskeletal pain at least.

I just wish that it could be taken long-term.

My big issue is that whenever I see a doctor for pain, and we get to discussing pain mgmt, they check the WI prescription database and see long term RXs for buprenorphine on there, and flip out. They don't look long enough to see that A: it's chicken flavored liquid, B: the dose is 1/3 mg, and C: it's being filled by a compounding pharmacy called PET Apothecary. It's for my arthritic cat, NOT for maintaining my opiate addiction. (Buprenorphine is Suboxone/Subutex)

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
I had to convince the oral surgeon that my twin teen boys did not need a narcotic. We told him addiction is in the family and that another option please. He said oh, we are aware so we don't prescribe that many!! Seriously??? This is how the medical field is dealing with opiates,

Holy cow, with that said, Advil and Tylenol got them thru after the shot during surgery.. so glad that is over!!