FINALLY getting some answers

T

TeDo

I just want to share the findings so far of the AWESOME Occupational Therapist we finally found. She has been doing a thorough assessment and really knows what she's doing. So far, I have learned that difficult child

1) has a very low visual processing speed
2) holds writing utensils too tightly and applies too much pressure
3) needs a dark blue "film" over everything that is medium to small print on white paper
4) needs oral stimulation (gum, straws, etc.)
5) needs to be allowed to move and fidget while he thinks
6) has visual tracking difficulty

This is only 1/2 way through the assessment! The school Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation found NO issues. Does anyone besides me see why school has been so difficult for him? Not to mention his Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) "thinking" and social issues. I am sooooo thankful for this woman and extremely happy that I have decided to enroll him in a virtual school. I only see things loking up from here!!! There IS light at the end of this very long tunnel! And we have the neuropsychologist coming up in November.

BusynMember

Actually, I believe those issues are very common with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). My son has many of those issues.

I don't trust schools to evaluate. So happy you have some added answers :)

InsaneCdn

Occupational Therapist (OT) results... may be related to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), or to a raft of other "developmental" things... but no matter what diagnosis you end up with, a good solid Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation is worth a LOT.

On top of that, they have good interventions, too.

Great news!

We found that the school Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation was good for adding school accommodations based on a full Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation - but you don't get a full Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation at school.

Morningglory

:bravo: Woot!! Feels good when someone is not just on the same page, but can speak your language. This is awesome news.

My Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kid is handling the transition from middle school to high school better than I thought. but his schedule is off and you can tell. He paces and wonders lost like here at home. They have different classes every other day so things for him are not the same every day :( If this continues to be an issue of un-comfortableness for him I will need to go to the school and find out if there is a way we can create a more structured schedule for him.

My difficult child is doing so much better since we put him in Home schooling. I can create something solid here at home and not worry about others safety or that dreaded call every day or so that he hit, pushed, threw, slammed, stomped and stole. wow these were like 4 letter words i just typed.

thanks for sharing some good news. I read here alot and I see alot of bad news ...