Fingers crossed for my nephew, in ER again

TerryJ2

My 17-yr-old nephew, who has either crohn's or some other dangerous colon disease, (they haven't done an MRI yet but have done every other test under the sun) has been on a chemo drug and prednisone recently and finally got to the point where my sister thought he could attend school. About an hr ago, I spoke with-her and she said his lips are swollen, he is red all over and has a fever.
They are in the ER.
They just can't seem to get this under control. He did no sports this summer, was too embarrassed and in too much pain to hang out with-friends, and had surgery for a hernia (related to this). Poor kid! Poor mom! (She's the caregiver for our dad, who has Alzheimer's, and has a daughter who has used meth.)
It's scary and sad.
I am waiting for her to text me.

tiredmommy

Sending a ton of prayers and lots of support. It sounds to me like he's developed an allergic reaction or hypersensitivity to the predinisone.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Do they think it's a bad reaction to one of his medications or related to whatever illness he has?

Hope they can figure it out!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I believe you can get Stevens-Johnson syndrome from any medication... hope that's not it but it sure sounds like it could be :(

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Sending healing thoughts and prayers - I'm so sorry, how sad that he's suffering like this. And big hugs to your sister, she must be terrified and exhausted.

TerryJ2

Thank you all.
The ER was not helpful ... couldn't tell if it was a virus or drug reaction. The dr, the next day, said the same thing, but leaned toward a virus. What kind of virus only affects your head and lips?
I'm going to Google that syndrome ...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No rash on his hands or feet? (I was thinking maybe coxsackie virus -- difficult child 2 had that once).

Steely

Sending a million hugs and tons of peace to your nephew and sister.....Praying he will be out of the ER soon.....and that the doctors find what is wrong.

My sister had this her whole life and they never could nail down what was wrong with her either. It was a constant source of physical discomfort for her, as well as emotional. The ONE thing that finally helped her turn the curve a little was a radical diet....gluten free, totally organic, no dairy or nuts, etc. Has your nephew tried this type of thing yet?