First Medication appointment Coming Up - Advice

wldinnh

Hello
difficult child has had 4 cognitive behavioral therapy sessions with a child psychologist for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and ODD. Mainly focusing on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) as that was most disruptive to her day-to-day life at the time. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) has improved greatly during this time. Today the psychiatrist suggested we meet with a child psychiatrist for a medication evaluation. She feels difficult child has such a high anxiety level that it makes her less receptive to treatment for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and ODD. I am in the process of getting this appointment. set up. I'm needing some suggestions from experienced parents on what I should be asking, thinking about, etc. for this type of appointment. as it will be my first discussing medications. Thank you!

busywend

Well, my difficult child has never taken an anti-anxiety medication. I am currently taking Wellbutrin - which has helped my anxiety a lot. It is also good for ADHD symptoms like the inability to focus on one task at a time. I am so much more productive now.

I would specify to the psychiatrist you are not there for a diagnosis, but a medication for anxiety - be sure your therapist gets records to psychiatrist before the appointment.

OpenWindow

My difficult child takes Lexapro for his anxiety and his rigid thinking. It definitely has helped him but hasn't been a "miracle cure." It has lessened his ODD symptoms.

Linda