For the Clumsy Among Us

trinityroyal

In that article, the one woman has several kitchen accidents, like setting herself on fire?????!!! Now, that's pretty bad.

I've set myself on fire before. It's no fun at all.

This was back in university. I was in one of the piano practice labs. These were tiny little rooms barely big enough for a piano and a person sitting at the piano. I'd been practising for about an hour and decided to take a smoke break.

At the time I had big goth hair, kinda like this:
http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/trinityroyal/?action=view&current=robert_smith_big_hair.jpg

Didn't realize I'd been fidgeting with the flame dial on the lighter and it was cranked up to maximum. I was leaning over, struck a light and BOOM.
My bangs lit up like a firecracker. I managed to put out the flames by repeatedly smacking myself in the head, but I burned off all the hair over my left temple. To this day, the hair in that spot has never really grown in properly.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When I was a small child I was so clumsy they put me in a special-ed class called "Kephart". No clue why it was called that. And no, it didn't help. Or maybe it did... Sigh.

I fall up stairs. I slide down them - fortunately I haven't fallen forward down stairs yet. Doorknobs randomly reach out and grab my forearms. Last summer I had a huge bruise on my arm and I had no idea where it came from, until a few days later I ran into the railing outside my office again. Same place. YOW.

If there is ice, I will step wrong onto it. My posterior can tell you all about it. Last November when we found out what was up with difficult child 1, I ran outside to tell husband about CPS calling and tripped over the trailer hitch (stepped over the first part, then ran into the second part with my shin), resulting in a huge knot on my shin and a hairline fracture of my arm where I caught myself on the ground. (Hurt for weeks!)

That said, I haven't been in a vehicle accident since 1997 (KNOCK ON LOTS OF WOOD) - wasn't my fault - and haven't had a ticket since 1992. Never have cut myself with a box cutter, which I use fairly frequently, or a kitchen knife. Run into a lot of walls though. Seems to be when I am ambulating that it's an issue. And I cannot walk and chew gum.

Now husband and the difficult children... Wow. If coordination were a requirement... Well, they'd need remedial treatment. difficult child 1 sits perfectly still on the sofa and stubs her toe. difficult child 2 can be 5 feet from a cup and knock it over. husband hit someone's mailbox while arguing with children and ran a backhoe into the neighbor's Lexus.

Abbey

Spork Queen
This thread is cracking me up. It's like my life over and over again.

Gotta love the hair, Trinity. Tell me it's not true. There is enough hairspray to light the city on fire.

I think my most honorable falls was when I tripped into my cactus garden. Not a pretty site. Inch long needles poking everywhere around me and in me. I go in the house and H says...WHAT HAPPENED? Naw...just a flesh wound. I love that statement. Interpretation - I just tripped on a small piece of stone and flew into the cactus garden. It hurts like heck, but I'll pick the spines out of me. Don't worry. Go on about your business. Hence, long sleeves and long pants for the next few weeks.:mad:

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I believe the article. Now that my stress levels have reduced a tad.......so have my accidents. Unfortunately I have yet to find a way to elimate all stress.......so there are still accidents, just not as many. lol ;)

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
While I was recovering from my meniscus surgery, husband, who was supposed to be helping me stay immobile on the couch, decided to make sweet potato fries in the oven. He used a rimless cookie sheet and plenty of olive oil. When the oil hit the heating coil the oven (brand new) caught on fire. We had just moved into the newly-built McMansion with the newly installed fire alarms linked to the newly hired alarm company.

While husband is a brilliant man when it comes to historical facts, he is paralyzed by indecision when it comes to a family emergency. Kind of like this guy, but without the English accent:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBfxjSFAxQ"]YouTube - The IT Crowd - Series 1 - Episode 2: Fire![/ame]

I had to use my crutch to silence the alarms and I put out the fire by removing the element.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
3 S that had me cracking up!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the clip. Reminds me of easy child when I'd passed out on her. She wanted the *Other number for 911*.....*snort* ;)

trinityroyal

Gotta love the hair, Trinity. Tell me it's not true. There is enough hairspray to light the city on fire.

I did indeed have that hairstyle. With about a tub of Dippity-Do gel per day to keep it looking that way. It started out as a short mohawk, with blue-dyed tips when I was in high school, and then I let it grow.

With all that gel, I`m surprised I didn`t burn down the building.

tiredmommy

Trinity- I actually met Robby Smith of The Cure back in 1988 at the Sky Dome. I wasn't a nice Goth Chick, like you, though. I used to go into crowded ladies' rooms at the bars and threaten to wave my lighter... it was like parting the Red Sea, lol!

by the way... I used to be able to put my legs up too... now I can't even do a simple back bend!

Abbey

Spork Queen
That video was too damn funny.

Ok, 3rd time today trying the foot over the head thing. I'm only an inch away...it could happen.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Lets just say my MIDDLE name isn't GRACE for nothing.

And now it belongs to my large dog - Casper Grace - he's also so "Hip and together" just like his MOTHER.....lol

He's the only dog I've ever known that consistantly stumbles - for no apparent reason - even the vet calls him Sir Grace.

Now what is this palms on the floor test? I need a visual.....

trinityroyal

Trinity- I actually met Robby Smith of The Cure back in 1988 at the Sky Dome.
I`m jealous. I never did get around to seeing the Cure play live.

I used to go into crowded ladies' rooms at the bars and threaten to wave my lighter... it was like parting the Red Sea, lol!
I can just imagine! What a hoot.

Now Star, as for the hands on the floor thingy.. I tried to find a picture, but sadly could not. Now imagine the following.

1. Stand up straight with your feet at about shoulder width apart.
  2. Keeping your feet flat on the floor, bend forward from the hips.
  3. As you bend, reach your arms toward the floor.
  4. Imagine that you`re sort of folding yourself in half.
  5. Without bending your knees, keep bending forward as though you want to touch your toes.
  6. Keep bending, and then place your palms flat on the floor.

Make sense?

Trinity

trinityroyal

That certainly does count. Gosh, if there`s wobbling involved then you most likely ARE hypermobile.

Think of it this way. If you`ve always been able to do some of those really pretzel-y yoga poses, without ever having practised yoga, then yup, you`re most likely hypermobile.

trinityroyal

Hypermobility is linked to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Lots of people on the autism spectrum also have hypermobility. Maybe there`s a link to ADHD as well.