For those watching the Casey A. trial.....

DammitJanet

DDD...mine was only one day of a DUI case...lol. We found the guy not guilty because the idiot prosecutor wouldnt answer our question about how the thing you blow into worked. From what I remember the guy supposedly blew a 1.2 and back then the legal limit was 1.0 Well...we didnt know whether the machine was calibrated at 1.0 at the first blow or 0.0 at the first blow. We just needed that simple explanation. No explanation and we couldnt convict. Now I know....lol.

DammitJanet

If its a hung jury I guess they try it again but I dont think it will be. She will be found guilty on at least something or some of the charges which leaves her not able to be tried again.

DDD

I understand, DJ. On the murder jury we would have found the man guilty IF the Prosecution had accounted for a "blank" two hour period that we all thought was extremely relevant. Because it was just skipped over and never mentioned the Judge responded to our naive question by saying we could only consider evidence that was presented. I'm sure that is the law but on the other hand all ten or twelve us thought he was probably guilty but brought back a not guilty verdict because we had reasonable doubt. It took awhile to get the trail stored away in my mind.

Truthfully I'm thinking about changing channels to avoid the Anthony trail. No matter what she might say on the stand the girl has no credibility. If she had ever had a neuro/psychiatric I'm sure there would be multiple diagnosis's. on the other hand for three years they've been showing photos of her dancing etc. and there's been evidence that she spent the night at various places. That doesn't shock me. In Central Fl, and Orlando is the place to go drink, dance, party etc., the young adults (even some certifiable easy child's) go to after parties after the bars close at 2. It's also not rare for a young Mom to put her child to bed at someones house.

If there were any evidence of abuse patterns I would be more receptive. I didn't hear one person say she treated her daughter poorly. Therefore, I think she accidentally caused her daughter's death and then feared the consequences. As a result she made a series of bad choices to coverup her error and it snowballed
into a tangled web that may result in her death. Just like she zones out in the courtroom I think she zoned out of reality following what I believe was an accident. I think her chances are slim. Caylee's death is a tragedy. DDD

DammitJanet

well if it was a mistake, it was a mammoth one and she really screwed the pooch on it this time. After everything she has done and said, I dont think anyone would believe a word she said if her tongue came notarized. Like one of the commentators said, if she said her name was Casey Anthony they would want a BC and a DNA test...lol.

I will be glad when this is all over.

Nancy

I am reminded of one of my favorite sayings about difficult child here: "If you caught her with her hand in the cookie jar she would deny it's her hand."

Nancy

klmno

LOL Nancy!

I just got home, turned on HLN, and hear there is a new, surprise witness the defense will put on- a felon previously convicted of abducting or kdnapping (I didn't quite catch that) who they say cell phone records prove he had phone conversations with George Anthony either a couple of days before she went missing or a couple of days before it was reported to police (can't remember if they said June or July 14). Then, according to a statement released from George and Cindy's attny, George doesn't remember having these conversations. Oh boy. He doesn't remember? If he gave a definitive no, I would be presuming that Casey got a hold of George's phone. Now I can only imagine where this will lead- it could lead to reasonable doubt for the jury though.

OK, just out of curiosity- assuming a young mom (any) was in the habit of drugging her young child and placing her in a trunk for hours while she partied or had sex with her boyfriend, then she starts making her own drugs to drug her with having no idea how to do this remotely safely, then overdoes it, and the child dies and the mom appears to have absolutely no remorse over any of it, what kind of charge would she get (is that only felony child neglect? or felony child abuse, manslaughter, or all of these?), and what type of punishment can that bring in FL?

H

HaoZi

Prosecution has rested.

Now it's wait and see time.

and the child dies and the mom appears to have absolutely no remorse over any of it, what kind of charge would she get (is that only felony child neglect? or felony child abuse, manslaughter, or all of these?), and what type of punishment can that bring in FL?

Neglect, failure to report a death, improper disposal of a corpse, desecration of a corpse, neglect causing death (manslaughter), felony neglect, impeding an investigation (for all the lying), obstruction of justice. For starters on just those; plus depending on where she buried Caylee you could also maybe toss in trespassing or even some federal environmental charges.

Nancy

I find it hard to believe about this cell phone information. I'm sure that would have come out in discovery and depositions would have been taken. I'm sure everyone's cell phone calls where thoroughly checked out. Can't answer the question about what charges but I'm fairly certain al least manslaughter.

Nancy

klmno

Ok, Haoz, then what punishment comes with those charges? Did they even include things like failure to report a death, the one about desecration of a body or whatever that was, in the charges against Casey?

Nancy

Ok HaoZi thanks so much for all your clarifications. I promise not to answer any more legal questions.

Klmo, if the defense if making this up about the felon it shows even more what a horrible person she is.

Nancy

klmno

This just makes me think Casey is scum- if she could afford to party, afford a tattoo, afford to tip the tattoo guy and pay for all the pizza, she could afford a babysitter- even if she had an issue leaving Caylee with Cindy because she didn't want to get a lecture.

Nancy

I agree. It was so apparent that Cindy and George loved their granddaughter so much and were involved in every aspect of her life, down to knowing what clothes she had. They probably bought them all. If Casey didn't like it she should have moved out and taken care of her daughter herself. Just look at that back yard and you can see their lives revolved around that little girl.

Nancy

klmno

Yeah- unfortunately though, I think their efforts to make sure Caylle was taken care of really only served to enable Casey more and more, which is typical in situations like that. It's my understanding that someone (or more than 1??) stated that Caysee had been giving drugs to Caylee to knock her out for some time prior to her death. It's a shame that George and Cindy never learned of that and just took custody of Caylee before things got so out of control.

Nancy

Ohio has reciprocal discovery and if the defense plans on introducing cell phone records they had to provide that to the state, at least in Ohio.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Nancy... I think many states do. I would find it hard to believe that the prosecution would be blindsided by either of the Anthony's phone records at this late date. I wouldnt find it hard to believe that the defense would find some lying pond scum felon who wants his 15 minutes of glory to attempt to throw doubt. I am sure there are plenty of felons out there who want to bring down cops. Any cop.

klmno

That's what I'm thinking, too, DJ- and even think someone has underhandedly paid this guy- really- if he had any real info, why didn't he come forward when a reward was being offered?? And I don't believe he's popping up out of the blue to save her life if it means incremenating himself for something- in other words- he isn't going to get up there and confess to doing it himself. I am speculating he's going to say that George tried to get him to hide the body or something along those lines. Of course, then the question would be why didn't he go to authorities- because he didn't think they'd take his word over a cop's- ok, then why are you here now? The prosecution needs to do some research and find out how and when the defense team and this guy "connected" and that will reveal a lot.

Nancy

Klmno I think that's what the defense is trying to suggest too.

Janet I believe Florida has reciprocal discovery too but won't know for sure until later tonight when husband gets home.

Nancy

H

HaoZi

VI. DISCOVERY
RULE 3.220. DISCOVERY
(a) Notice of Discovery. After the filing of the charging document, a defendant may elect to participate in the discovery process provided by these rules, including the taking of discovery depositions, by filing with the court and serving on the prosecuting attorney a 'Notice of Discovery' which shall bind both the prosecution and defendant to all discovery procedures contained in these rules. Participation by a defendant in the discovery process, including the taking of any deposition by a defendant or the filing of a public records re-quest under chapter 119, Florida Statutes, for law enforcement records relating to the defendant's pending prosecution, which are nonexempt as a result of a codefendant's participation in discovery, shall be an elec-tion to participate in discovery and triggers a reciprocal discovery obligation for the defendant. If any defendant knowingly or purposely shares in discovery obtained by a codefendant, the defendant shall be deemed to have elected to participate in discovery. (b) Prosecutor's Discovery Obligation. (1) Within 15 days after service of the Notice of Discovery, the prosecutor shall serve a written Discovery Exhibit which shall disclose to the defendant and permit the defendant to inspect, copy, test, and photograph the following information and material within the state's possession or control: (A) a list of the names and addresses of all persons known to the prosecutor to have information that may be relevant to any offense charged or any defense thereto, or to any similar fact evidence to be presented at trial under section 90.404(2), Florida Statutes. The names and addresses of persons listed shall be clearly designated in the following categories: (i) Category A. These witnesses shall include (1) eye witnesses, (2) alibi witnesses and rebuttal to alibi witnesses, (3) witnesses who were present when a recorded or unrecorded statement was taken from or made by a defendant or codefendant, which shall be separately identified within this category, (4) investigating officers, (5) witnesses known by the prosecutor to have any material information that tends to negate the guilt of the defendant as to any offense charged, (6) child hearsay witnesses, and (7) expert witnesses who have not provided a written report and a curriculum vitae or who are going to testify. (ii) Category B. All witnesses not listed in either Category A or Category C. (iii) Category C. All witnesses who performed only ministerial functions or whom the prosecutor does not intend to call at trial and whose involvement with and knowledge of the case is fully set out in a police re-port or other statement furnished to the defense;
(B) the statement of any person whose name is furnished in compliance with the preceding subdivision. The term 'statement' as used herein includes a written statement made by the person and signed or otherwise adopted or approved by the person and also includes any statement of any kind or manner made by the person and written or recorded or summarized in any writing or recording. The term 'statement' is specifically in-
tended to include all police and investigative reports of any kind prepared for or in connection with the case, but shall not include the notes from which those reports are compiled; (C) any written or recorded statements and the substance of any oral statements made by the defendant, including a copy of any statements contained in police reports or report summaries, together with the name and address of each witness to the statements; (D) any written or recorded statements and the substance of any oral statements made by a codefendant; (E) those portions of recorded grand jury minutes that contain testimony of the defendant; (F) any tangible papers or objects that were obtained from or belonged to the defendant; (G) whether the state has any material or information that has been provided by a confidential informant; (H) whether there has been any electronic surveillance, including wiretapping, of the premises of the de-fendant or of conversations to which the defendant was a party and any documents relating thereto; (I) whether there has been any search or seizure and any documents relating thereto; (J) reports or statements of experts made in connection with the particular case, including results of physical or mental examinations and of scientific tests, experiments, or comparisons; and (K) any tangible papers or objects that the prosecuting attorney intends to use in the hearing or trial and that were not obtained from or that did not belong to the defendant. (L) any tangible paper, objects or substances in the possession of law enforcement that could be tested for DNA. (2) If the court determines, in camera, that any police or investigative report contains irrelevant, sensitive information or information interrelated with other crimes or criminal activities and the disclosure of the contents of the police report may seriously impair law enforcement or jeopardize the investigation of those other crimes or activities, the court may prohibit or partially restrict the disclosure. (3) The court may prohibit the state from introducing into evidence any of the foregoing material not dis-closed, so as to secure and maintain fairness in the just determination of the cause. (4) As soon as practicable after the filing of the charging document the prosecutor shall disclose to the de-fendant any material information within the state's possession or control that tends to negate the guilt of the defendant as to any offense charged, regardless of whether the defendant has incurred reciprocal discovery obligations.
(c) Disclosure to Prosecution.
(1) After the filing of the charging document and subject to constitutional limitations, the court may require a defendant to: (A) appear in a lineup; (B) speak for identification by witnesses to an offense; (C) be fingerprinted; (D) pose for photographs not involving re-enactment of a scene; (E) try on articles of clothing; (F) permit the taking of specimens of material under the defendant's fingernails; (G) permit the taking of samples of the defendant's blood, hair, and other materials of the defendant's body that involves no unreasonable intrusion thereof; (H) provide specimens of the defendant's handwriting; and (I) submit to a reasonable physical or medical inspection of the defendant's body. (2) If the personal appearance of a defendant is required for the foregoing purposes, reasonable notice of the time and location of the appearance shall be given by the prosecuting attorney to the defendant and his or her counsel. Provisions may be made for appearances for such purposes in an order admitting a defendant to bail or providing for pretrial release.
(d) Defendant's Obligation. (1) If a defendant elects to participate in discovery, either through filing the appropriate notice or by partic-ipating in any discovery process, including the taking of a discovery deposition, the following disclosures shall be made: (A) Within 15 days after receipt by the defendant of the Discovery Exhibit furnished by the prosecutor pursuant to subdivision (b)(1)(A) of this rule, the defendant shall furnish to the prosecutor a written list of the names and addresses of all witnesses whom the defendant expects to call as witnesses at the trial or hearing. When the prosecutor subpoenas a witness whose name has been furnished by the defendant, except for trial subpoenas, the rules applicable to the taking of depositions shall apply. (B) Within 15 days after receipt of the prosecutor's Discovery Exhibit the defendant shall serve a written Discovery Exhibit which shall disclose to and permit the prosecutor to inspect, copy, test, and photograph the following information and material that is in the defendant's possession or control:
(i) the statement of any person listed in subdivision (d)(1)(A), other than that of the defendant; (ii) reports or statements of experts made in connection with the particular case, including results of physical or mental examinations and of scientific tests, experiments, or comparisons; and (iii) any tangible papers or objects that the defendant intends to use in the hearing or trial. (2) The prosecutor and the defendant shall perform their obligations under this rule in a manner mutually agreeable or as ordered by the court. (3) The filing of a motion for protective order by the prosecutor will automatically stay the times provided for in this subdivision. If a protective order is granted, the defendant may, within 2 days thereafter, or at any time before the prosecutor furnishes the information or material that is the subject of the motion for protective order, withdraw the defendant's notice of discovery and not be required to furnish reciprocal discovery. (e) Restricting Disclosure. The court on its own initiative or on motion of counsel shall deny or partially re-strict disclosures authorized by this rule if it finds there is a substantial risk to any person of physical harm, in-timidation, bribery, economic reprisals, or unnecessary annoyance or embarrassment resulting from the disclo-sure, that outweighs any usefulness of the disclosure to either party. (f) Additional Discovery. On a showing of materiality, the court may require such other discovery to the parties as justice may require.
(g) Matters Not Subject to Disclosure. (1) Work Product. Disclosure shall not be required of legal research or of records, correspondence, re-ports, or memoranda to the extent that they contain the opinions, theories, or conclusions of the prosecuting or defense attorney or members of their legal staffs. (2) Informants. Disclosure of a confidential informant shall not be required unless the confidential infor-mant is to be produced at a hearing or trial or a failure to disclose the informant's identity will infringe the constitutional rights of the defendant.

There's more if you want it.