Fried bread recipe?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Does anyone have a fried bread recipe that they have tried and like???

The ones I've had and liked were at buckskinner-type events, usually served with honey. Little flat breads....any ideas?

MyFriendKita

A lot of restaurants around here serve fried biscuits with apple butter. We make them by taking canned biscuits and deep frying them in hot oil, but you could make your own biscuits from scratch and deep fry those. Some places roll them in brown sugar and cinnamon after frying.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
A lot of Native American tribes make and serve fry-bread. I will try to contact a NA friend and ask her for her recipe

Marguerite

Here's what I grew up with, I believe it's British in origin.

Two versions - the one husband grew up with, you shallow-fry slices of bread (usually cut into quarters or halves, with or without crusts) in oil or fat of some kind. If you want a sweet version you sprinkle the bread with icing sugar (confectioner's sugar) and let the sugar caramelise by frying it in unsalted butter. The end result is oily, but also crispy all the way through.

Now for mine - you get a saucer of milk, or milk and beaten egg. You dip the bread slice pieces in the milk briefly, then immediately put them in hot fat. Our family used to use bacon fat and serve these sprinkled with salt. It was a rare treat to make this, when we had fresh bacon fat. The outside goes crispy and the inside is soft and moist. The fat doesn't penetrate in when you dip the bread. The contrast between the crisp outside and the softer inside is lovely. But don't soak the bread or the inside is soggy. If you use egg, that seals it even more and gives it a richer taste. The egg mix is better for the sweeter version.

When we were in NZ and badly snowed-in with very few provisions left, all we had for food was a dried hunk of "Maori bread" (a sort of giant scone or soda bread), the sachets of sugar you find in motel accommodation, a couple of UHT sachets of milk and a tub of butter. I think we had some ground cinnamon as well. I had to turn it into a meal for five people. I somehow managed to eke out a couple of milk sachets, I sprinkled sugar on the slices of 'bread' in the pan and then a little cinnamon in with the milk, then pan-fried it in butter. That was our evening meal. We'd eaten our supplies down because we were supposed to hit the road (somehow!) next morning.

Marg

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My friend uses regular bread dough. She gives it one rising, pats it out flat. She cuts it in palm-sized portions and pokes a hole through the center of each portion.

It is then fried in 350-375 degree oil (or lard) until browned and puffy.

I've eaten her version of fry-bread and it is good. It can be served with sugar and or jam, but it's especially good, in my opinion, served with venison gravy or even other types of gravy.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Thanks!

I tried some internet recipes I found tonight and didn't like any of those at all. They were "biscuity" recipes. I'll try a more bready one.

Marg, I've had what you are talking about. I'm not sure what its really called here, but we refer to it as fried french toast sticks. My family prefers to make it by just frying in a hot skillet (sans fat) til brown on each side, but many restaurants here serve what you are describing.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I just remembered that my husband used to make this on rare occasions, but my friend helped me out as I couldn't remember if he used a special dough or just regular bread dough. I can tell you that it comes out better made in lard, or solid shortening than in oil, but there's the health considerations to be kept in mind.

I'm of the school where if it's something you only eat occasionally and not to excess, lard won't hurt you (assuming you eat pork). In fact, lard is actually healthier than solid veg. shortening when used for this type of frying.

Marg's Man

Another version I used have as a kid was what my father called puff-ta-loons (that's how it's pronounced, heaven only knows how it's spelt). They were essentially fried scones that were a common breakfast in the outback where Dad grew up.

These were an ordinary scone dough (SR flour rubbed with butter mixed with a little milk) which were shallow fried in dripping (the fatty run off from grills and roasts). The first couple were invariably inedible because either they were either too greasy (cooked too cold) burned or underdone (fat too hot so it burned or was taken out too soon). We used eat them straight from the pan with honey or golden syrup. I suspect they would taste good with maple syrup too.

We never do them anymore because with the carbs, the frying in high cholesterol fat and the sugar of the honey or syrup; they're dietary DISASTER.

They tasted great but why we didn't die of heart attacks before we got to age 12 I'll never know!

Marg's Man
PS to GoingNorth
You said:
I'm of the school where if it's something you only eat occasionally and not to excess, lard won't hurt you (assuming you eat pork). In fact, lard is actually healthier than solid veg. shortening when used for this type of frying.

I'll endorse that. Solid veg shortening is made by taking unsaturated oils and SATURATING them chemically. I'm a chemist - If I'm gonna eat saturated fat I want it from natural sources not my laboratory.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

When the boys were younger we would make "homemade" donuts by getting the cheap cans of biscuits and poking a hole in the middle. We fried these in oil and then either tossed them in confectioners sugar or cinnamon sugar. They loved them.

When I was with my ex, we would buy those frozen rolls that you have to let thaw and rise and cut them in half and patty them out and fry them and eat with jelly.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Oh, they are yummy, but definitely not something you want to eat often. It's like Yorkshire pudding, which is basically a popover type dough cooked in the drippings from a beef roast.

Definitely yummy, but also unhealthy. I last had fry bread and Yorkshire pudding a few years ago.

I'm going to visit friends at the end of the month and will be eating both again. Moderation is the key.