Fun Post...How taking care of babies has changed

Pink Elephant

I was just giving thought to all of the homes I babysat at when I was younger. Dozens of homes... with dozens upon dozens of children, mostly babies and toddlers, and all wore rubber pants (meaning cloth diapers and pins).

I definitely think that played a factor in me using cloth diapers as a mom.
Just curious and you don't have to answer but what part of the country are you guys in? I don't see that here at all. Now this part of the country is not particularly enlightened or environmentally conscious. I'm sure Californians would find us quite out of it :)
We live in Canada in a small community. Definitely think smaller communities tend to be more geared towards environmental issues and things (more so), than big city folk.

AppleCori

Just curious and you don't have to answer but what part of the country are you guys in? I don't see that here at all. Now this part of the country is not particularly enlightened or environmentally conscious. I'm sure Californians would find us quite out of it :)

I was in Texas, Arizona, Kansas, Pennsylvania, and Iowa.

Pink Elephant

Question to all who babysat growing up.

For those of you that changed disposable diapers when you babysat, had it been cloth diapers instead of disposables, do you think that would have altered your decision to use cloth diapers on your own children instead of disposables?

BusynMember

Thank you.

I totally believe Canadians are more socially enlightened than the U.S.

We are in a small area too. It is conservative by American standards.

Appl, thanks for answering.

Pink Elephant

DammitJanet, and any others, would love to hear from you regarding babysitting back in the day (if you did).

What were you met with as far diapers and bottles and things went when you babysat?

Pink Elephant

To any and all who remember the changing drill related to old-fashioned cloth diapers, chime-in with your memories!

What do you remember about the old cloth diapers of the past?

What did you hate most about the old cloth diapers of yesteryear?

When was the last time you changed an old-fashioned cloth diaper with pins?

Was thinking with so many of us here who are of the older crowd, there's sure to be more than a few of us who have experience dealing with the old! :)

Pink Elephant

What do you remember about the old cloth diapers of the past? How bulky they were! And how they always drooped and sagged! LOL! And all of the changing that was needed, because they got so wet so fast! I remember my mom and I (forever) going in and checking baby siblings rubber pants for wet diapers. We'd pull back the elastic waistband of their rubber pants. Lots of checking and changing...

What did you hate most about the old cloth diapers of yesteryear? Having to dunk and rinse dirty diapers in the toilet after changing! Sticking myself with the diaper pins when changing diapers, too! Oh... and how awful those rubber pants smelled! Pee-ew! Diaper pail odour, too! Double pee-ew!!

When was the last time you changed an old-fashioned cloth diaper with pins? About 10 years ago.

Was thinking with so many of us here who are of the older crowd, there's sure to be more than a few of us who have experience dealing with the old!

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Also remember when babysitting, I'd do lots of checking. Always cloth diapers and rubber pants.

Also remember the loud plastic sound the rubber pants made!

Last edited: