Generic for lamictal

Nancy

For all those difficult child's on lamictal, there is now a generic out for the drug. I was shocked when I picked up difficult child's prescription and was charged on $15. I was use to paying a couple hundred. I've been waiting for a generic to come out for a long time now and felt like I won the lottery yesterday.

Nancy

MyFriendKita

Fortunately we were only paying $35 for the name brand, but I was pleasantly surprised the last time I refilled my son's rx, too. Mainly I was worried about how he would afford Lamictal when I can no longer carry him on my insurance. At least now I know we could afford to pay for it ourselves if it comes to that.

smallworld

We're not switching to generic (we have a slightly higher co-pay for brand than for generic). Our neurologist says he has lots of patients who do worse on generic anticonvulsants than on brand anticonvulsants. I'm not willing to risk the stability we have on brand Lamictal.

Nancy

Hmmmm well I am thrilled since we can't afford the brand any longer. We have been fortunate in that all the brands we switched over to generic have been fine including husband's blood pressure and easy child's anxiety medication. I'm confident this will be the same. I guess I'm willing to risk it.

Nancy

crazymama30

does it come in all the same doses? I had heard somewhere that it was only going to come in 25mg, which seemed ridiculous to me.

Nancy

Well I know it comes in 150mg tablets. My difficult child is on 300 mg a day split into two doses so it works for us. I believe it was the chewables that only came in 25 mg.

Nancy

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's good to know it's available in generic now. husband takes it for his seizures (and it also helps his un-diagnosis'd mood problems), but I think he'll check with his neuro first to see if it's okay to switch.

N

Nomad

I take medications for migraine prevention, high blood pressure, etc. and my daughter has been on various medications for her health issues. She also takes Lamictal. Recently we switched to the mail order program and I think they use the generic. We haven't had any problems. (Knock on wood and crossing myself.)

What I have noticed over the years, is that in most cases the generics work fine. However, right now, for example, there is a medication I am taking that definately does NOT work as well when I take the generic form of it. My insurance company is making me pay a lot more for it if I don't use the generic...but at least for now, I have decided to pay for the brand. I guess my point is that it is probably worth trying the generics, because it might very well be fine...but during the trial period it is good to be observant. To make it as "scientific" as possible, when working with children, its probably a good idea not to tell our kids exactly what is going on (if possible). That we can get a true reading if the medication is as effective. I know that if it is at all possible, I would like to try to save the money. However, if I know for sure the medication is not going to work as well, then I would be willing to pay the extra money.

by the way, there is a chance (probably small) that some insurance companies will pay for the brand if the doctor writes on the prescription "medically necessary."