Good thoughts and prayers for Lily needed

InsaneCdn

You usually have go get insurance BEFORE there is any hint of problems.

Some shelters have agreements with pet insurance companies to accept adopted pets if from that shelter, as long as you do up the insurance when you adopt.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Pet insurance does cover hospitalization. It goes on a "per illness" basis. What is covered depends on the policy you choose. I use "24 Petwatch" as I get a deal through the shelter I adopted my critters from.

I get $1500 per illness with a hundred dollar per year deductible and 80% coverage after that.

Cost per month depends on age of cat, breed, and other factors. Pre-existing conditions are not covered.

For example, the surgery to remove Squeaky's eye wasn't covered because it was a birth defect.

Routine care such as vaccinations, spay/neuter, and dental care are not covered unless you go with "Cadillac" coverage which is very costly. You have to weigh monthly premiums against the cost of catastrophic care.

I pay 43 dollars a month to cover Squeaky who is 7 years old and Thomas, who is 11.

Thomas' premium is higher both due to his age and due to some illnesses that Maine Coon Cats are more prone to.

Your cats are younger, so should be less.

Californiablonde

Thanks for the info GoinNorth. I was actually going to look into pet insurance for Kitty since she was always so sick but I'm sure she probably wouldn't have qualified with her diagnosis of megacolon. I am going to look into it for Lily and Charlie. Lily in particular seems to be an expensive cat. She is always getting skin infections and it seems like when she gets sick it takes her longer to recover. I will do some research online. None of my other cats before this have ever needed to go to the vet as much as now.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sadly, the insurancy company will want Lily's vet records when you submit a claim. The skin infections won't be covered as they are a pre-existing condition.

May I ask what you are feeding Lily? I suspect that part of the issue with her skin may be related to either a nutritional deficiency or a food allergy/sensitivity.

Pardon the typos. I have a 16lb cat in my lap helpoing me type, LOL.

Californiablonde

Both my cats get dry food in the morning then they split a can of wet food in the evening. Do you think her diet could be causing her skin problems?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The dry food is likely your problem. Cats need high quality protein, cannot digest corn, wheat, or soy, and often are outright allergic to it.

YOU HAVE TO SWITCH HER TO A MEAT BASED DIET THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN CORN, WHEAT OR SOY. It will cost a lot more, but she and the kitten will eat a lot less, and you likely will see her skin clear up and save a fortune on future vet bills (and she and the kitten will poop a lot less)

BusynMember

My dog has horrible skin issues, and I know part is environmental because it is way worse in the spring and summer, but I also switched both of my dogs to pet store human grade food just in case. It costs, but they are little so they don't eat so much and I feel better knowing they are getting good nutrition. I think it's a good idea to listen to those who know cats best and go with high grade food...maybe skimp a bit on something else to afford it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
For a start, you will have to quit buying your food in the grocery store or at Walmart, Petsmart or similar. You need to find a shop that specializes in natural, premium pet foods. You will probably go into shock when you pay for your first bag of food, but relax.

You will find that your cats eat a LOT less once they make up their nutritional deficits, they poop a lot less, Charlie will grow up healthy and strong, and most likely, Lily's skin will mostly clear up and she won't be as sickly.

Your pets are part of your family and entitled to good food and care. You wouldn't feed your children junk, don't feed your pets junk.

One food I can recommend with some trepidation as there have been recalls by it's manufacturer, is Taste of the Wild. It is grain-free, but made by Diamond. I won't feed it, but it is cheaper than most premium foods and people have had good results with it. It certainly is better than anything you'll find elsewhere. Feed stores usually carry it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB, let me tell you a story about a dog, not a cat, and about a diet change and vet bills.

For many years, I had a beloved German Shepherd named Gryphon. Gryphon had pancreatic insufficiency, horrible skin allergies and infections.

I was spending upwards of 180 dollars a month at the vet's on steroids, pancreatic enzymes,and antibiotics. Gryphon still had diarrhea, skin infections, rashes, was skinny, and generally sick.

Finally, on the recommendation of a well-known breeder of German Shepherd Dogs in Germany, I bit the bullet and changed Gryphon over to a raw diet.

Now, I don't recommend this for Lily, but with Gryphon I was desperate, and I had already tried the type of foods I recommend for Lily with no success.

The raw food cost about 20 dollars a month more than I was paying my vet for Gryphon's medications, and less than I was paying for the constant crises, blood tests, etc.

I got my first order, and after about two weeks, I noticed...NO DIARRHEA!

After month, I made my second order and as I was waiting, I noticed that Gryphon was shedding less and there were no new sores on his skin. Not only that, he was actually gaining weight!

I called my breeder friend in Germany. He said to slowly start tapering back the enzymes. I called my vet who chewed me out for feeding raw food. On my own, I stopped the antibiotics and wrote to a vet friend in Germany to ask how to taper off the steroids as the vet I was using here was not cooperative.

Following my German vet's instructions, I tapered Gryphon off of steroids safely. 3 months later, Gryphon was off all medications, had a full, healthy coat of hair, and was 10lbs shy of a healthy weight for the first time in 5 years.

Yes, diet can make that much of a difference!

I later found that the company that made the raw food made a line of dry food that Gryphon could eat and after 3 years switched him over to that. He did very well on that combined with raw, meaty bones in place of dry food once a week.

I honestly believe that if you get Lily onto a good, healthy diet you will see a vast improvement in her health. I also believe that if you raise little Charlie on the same sort of diet, you will have him for many more healthy happy years.

Best of luck to you,
toK

BusynMember

Human grade it is fit for human consumption. Not that I'd want to eat doggy kibble, but...still ;) My dogs get a 5 lb. bag of a not-so-well-known-but-VERY-high-quality food called ACANA. It actually rates above Taste of the Wild and other top brands. My dogs only use one bag a month. I admit if they were labs they probably would be eating something else. But cats don't eat that much. I have a cat who was spitting up hairballs so I upgraded her to feed store kibble called Candidae and she doesn't spit up nearly as much. She likes fresh tuna and other fish too. I hope that's good for her! She gets it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
MWM,
Acana is a good food. I've fed that and Orjen. I just had to switch from Orjen to Blue because according to my vet, Thomas is one of the rare cats who needs MORE bulk in his diet and doesn't do well on grain-free.

Since he won't eat canned pumpkin once a day, it's Blue. It's still a good food, but...sheesh. Luckily, Squeaky can eat and digest anything.

Canidae is a decent ration, but was bought out, I think by Proctor&Gamble, a couple of years ago, and may no longer be human-grade. I'd check into that I I were you.

I know when they bought out Innova, they agreed to keep the recipes the same for 5 years, but I don't know if they had the same agreements with the myriad other pet food companies they purchased.