Good Thoughts, fingers crossed, ect please

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have another pharm exam tomorrow. You guys have no idea how I'm dreading it and how scared I am. Yup. I said scared.

Every spare moment of the past week has been spent studying pharm. I've read the chapters, I've listened to the instructors lecture twice, I've studied her power point, I've done the work book, I've done the test questions on the books CD, I've went to the Books website and done the tests on there, I've made note cards.........

You get the idea.:faint:

And I don't feel like I really know it at all. blech

We not only have to know the generic names, but all the trade names, we have to know the time it takes for the drug to work, the time it peaks, the duration it lasts. We also have to know the classification. We have to know how it works. We have to know all the side effects.........

Thank goodness we don't have to know the doses or I'd have a nervous breakdown. Because having to know the time of onset, peak, and duration is enough numbers to have me near tears.

Thanks to the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) numbers and I no longer get along. I have ALOT of trouble remembering numbers. And each medication is different from every other medication. ugh! The only solution I could think of is writing the medication and then those numbers like you would spelling words. Let's just say it won't take alot to trip me up.:faint:

I give myself pep talks and tell myself if I could pass chemistry with A's then I can soooo do this. Except chemistry had formulas.....maybe 1 or 2 at a time.......and I had to do those like spelling words to remember them......nor did they stay in my head long. I had to write them on the test the moment I got it. He was nice and let us do that. I can't do that with pharm....too darn many of them.

I am frustrated. I'd probably remember more if we weren't zipping thru chapters at the speed of light with absolutely no classroom instruction. We get a power point lecture online, that's it. Phhht.:mad:

easy child is supposed to be treating me to supper and then helping me study. Trouble is her boys don't go to bed until after 8pm.......when I'm ready to quit for the day. I've already been at it for 6 hrs. And odds are not much will get done until the boys are down. But I'm hoping she can help me come up with ways to remember what I'm having huge issues with. At least she can at least drill me........she can pronouce the words, husband spends 10 mins trying to figure out how to say them.

And the part I dreaded? You know the math? So far I'm not having any real issue with it. Go figure.

I am going to be lucky to pass this class. If I had some way to use the info I might have better luck keeping it in my head. But we don't start passing medications until the last quarter.

So any good thoughts, crossed body parts, maybe even a prayer would greatly be appreciated.

I am soooooo overwhelmed. ugh!

DammitJanet

Lisa...how can I help? Can we do it on the phone? Can we go to FB and talk this through in IM...what? Want me to try to quiz you somehow? I know I dont know pharm but I can pretty much pronounce stuff and I have a pretty good working knowledge of medications. If you email me your study notes or something I can put it together pretty much. I get what it is. I actually understand pharm pretty much...lol. I have studied medications so much doctors dont like me!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Lisa, you can DO THIS!!! If you can pass Chem with an A, well, I bow down to you.

Keep positive thoughts in your head. I'd offer to help but it wouldn't be much.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Mee too......Can I help.....??

Seriously.....you could just call each one of us......

Ask us what medications WE take......

Then we could quiz YOU on the stuff we take....

I alone could get you for seven medications.....you could just call around the US....

And then I could hand the phone to DF and that.....well heck you'd be on the phone for at least another ten medications.....it would be like a pop quiz....with your entire doped up family. Seriously.

Janet and Susie* alone could cover 11 chapters.

DammitJanet

LOL...Star has a great idea! Just call all of us and we can cover the entire pharm book! Between this group Im betting we are all on most of the medication classes...lmbo!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL

I love you guys. :D Janet I dunno.....this is insulin and endocrine at the moment. I'm actually ok with the endocrine pretty much except for the numbers part........my famly medication history. lol The insulins are driving me nuts. Who knew there were so darn many? And then those for type 2 and type 1.....which of course are different.......ugh

Um do either of you have microsoft word? Cuz for the next chapters I can download the imp file and you can see exactly what I have to work with. It would make quizzing me easier.....and we could do it via phone or whichever. My long distance is free. But I won't know what the next 2 chapters will be until friday. Oh, and not all the medications are on the powerpoint so I could type them up for you too.

easy child wants to help but between her own work and school isn't always available. But husband has new found respect for what I'm doing in school. lol

Here's the rub.......the questions for the CD (book) and the website, as well as those in the work book are all Nclux questions. What I'll see on my state exam. And I do just fine. It's the wicked witches questions that drive me over the edge! She'll give you just the generic name or the trade name when asking a question. When the Nclux always includes both on their exam.

Off to eat with easy child. Hope we can keep the boys quiet enough to get in some study. I've still got notes to copy and to get ready for school tomorrow.

(((hugs))) Soon as I get those files I'll send them off. :)

DammitJanet

I have word. and powerpoint. I have the whole darn office suite. Just send me what you get and I will learn it with you...lol. I can make up questions and quiz you.

flutterby

Fly away!
I have Office, too. Let me know if I can help. I have nothing going on Thursday or Friday.

Crossing my fingers and sending all my good thoughts.

My doctor printed off my medication list yesterday. I have 29. I WIN! I WIN!

Wait....what do I win.... *scratches head*

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I currently have Microsoft office on trial. I lost it when Travis had to wipe the computer and reload windows vista. My trial is up the end of the month. After that either husband is going to have to load it to his lap top or Travis is coming home for a visit so he can get me *cough* an altered version *cough*. I can't afford the program right now. And it is a must for pharm.

I think easy child has a gift for asking me questions in such a way that I can come up with the right answers. I didn't do too bad with her grilling me, and as she says, especially for someone who can't pronounce alot of the names. lol She did help me with that, but I learned them pronounced the wrong way, so I told her now I have to say and think of them that way or I'll never remember them. :rofl:

Ohhhh!! Starbie I know what metiformin is!!!! Yes. I misspelled it. Cuz that's the way I say it. lol :tongue: That's one of the ones I can remember. :D

Ok. Next week we finish the endocrine system. (everything other than the thyroid medications) and I *think* the male reproductive system. Soon as I get the files I'll pass them on. Then you can make up questions and quiz me via phone or PM (I don't know how to pm except on here) or whatever is easiest. Wednesdays I don't have school at all. It's the other groups clinical day. Other than that my only other open time is evenings and weekends.

Oh..........wanna know how bad I am with numbers?? I needed to give the instructor my phone number in case clinical gets cancelled........I reversed the numbers. When I tried to give her the right one......I reversed them again. FINALLY I managed to get her the right order. :faint:

I'm gonna imagine you all huddled around me tomorrow.

Hugs

tiredmommy

I modified this just for you:

Twas the night before the Pharm test, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The books were piled on the table with care,
In hopes that a miracle soon would be there.

The students were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of pharmaceuticals danced in their heads.
And husband in his ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below.
When, what appeared under my wondrous nose,
But a miniature druggist, and eight tiny doses.

With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be the pharmacist.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now Humalog! Now, Humulin! Now, Novolin and Lantus!
On, Amaryl! On, Glucotrol! On, Micronase and Levemir!
To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of medications, and dosing info too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney the phaarmacist came with a bound.

He was dressed all in white, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot.
A bundle of medications he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a pusher, just opening his pack.

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow.

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And corrected the worksheets, then turned with a jerk.
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose!

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"You'll do fine tomorrow, and to all a good-night!"

KTMom91

You should be able to get the student version of Microsoft Office. Not sure how much, but it's cheaper than the other.

We can't beat Heather's medication list, but between the three of us, we have a decent amount. How can I help?

Starting my cheer...Go Lisa...go Lisa...go Lisa...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks TM!! I loved it so much it's saved to my computer and I'm going to print it in the morning. :D I think I'll keep it on the frig for when I want to pull out my hair!! :D :D

My hopes aren't even that high. I don't want/need an A I just want to pass the darn thing.

Hugs

DammitJanet

If you have a problem with office, you can get openoffice and it is compatible with microsoft office. And it is free. It has all the bells and whistles too.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH TM THAT WAS BRILLIANT............

TO HELP.........

ON SPIRONOLACTONE, and METFORMIN, AND ORACEA, OXYCONTIN ON TOPAMAX, CELEXA, & RELPAX, WELBUTRIN.....

TO THE TOP OF THE HOUSE
TO THE TOP OF THE WALLS

NOW STUDY AWAY
STUDY AWAY
STUDY AWAY ALL!!!