Got A Call From difficult child's Guidance Counselor

B

Bunny

When I saw the school's number show up on caller ID, I knew it wasn't good news.

Mr. S (who I really like and who has bent over backwards with me when it comes to working with difficult child) called to say that he was in working on student schedules that they were having trouble with. Since he was calling me, I knew that difficult child's was one of those schedules. difficult child elected to drop down from honors English to regular English. It's not his best subject (although I think that he could have put in a little more effort, but that's another story for another day), but with is choices of Italian and orchestra, they could not fit him into a regular English class. His options were to take both honors Social Studies and honors English, or drop down to a regular Social Studies and regular English, or take French instead of Italian. He really wants Italian, so that option was out. He chose to move back up to honors English because he said he "refuses to move into regular Social Studies. That's one of my best classes!!"

He did okay in English this past year. He got high C's, but I know that the work will be harder this year and both the GC and I told him that he is going to have to step up and do the work. We'll see how that goes.

InsaneCdn

Schedules. They are never set up so that difficult child kids can have what they really need.
At least it wasn't worse!

T

TeDo

I guess I'm glad we don't have that problem with our online school. I know it can be a pain but I hope difficult child is up to the challenge. They gave him a choice, now HE needs to do the work and has no one to blame but himself. You're right, he needs to step up to the plate. Hope he does.

B

Bunny

At least he doesn't have 7th period lunch again! He's had that for the last two years. Having lunch the second to last period of the day is so ridiculous! I asked the GC when he was scheduled for lunch and he said 5th period and I was glad to hear that or I would have asked if there was any way that it could be changed.

InsaneCdn

I'm glad we're still in an old-fashioned school system. Everybody gets lunch at the same time. Kids who have a lunch-hour class (there's a couple of make-up classes that get offered at lunch to be available to the most students) get to eat in class.