Had to pick up difficult child with rash...??

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
School just called that difficult child 2 has had an allergic reaction.

His face, back and legs are mottled red with tiny bumps and itchy.

They used a new brand of clay at school today, but his hands and arms are fine? Detergent is the same, clothes were washed and dried Monday, had last bath Monday morning, sheets were washed last week...can't think of anything different except they upped his morning dose of depakote.

He did have the flu last week, first time the kids ever really been sick. Only thing we gave him different then, tho, was 1 immodium.

What does early onset stevens johnson look like?

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't know about stevens johnson, but could this have been coming on and contributed to the problems this am? I know that when my kids (esp the boys) were just starting to get sick or have a reaction they behaved much like your son. Mostly because they were UNABLE to tell me that something was wrong. (Time for Detective Mommy to pull out the magnifying glass!).

Hugs,

susie

ps. Can you give benadryl to see if it clears up? that is what our allergist always had us do.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
A cool bath and Benadryl seemed to help this afternoon, now this evening its back on his legs. He had what appeared to be a bug bite on one leg when I picked him up, now he has 4. Hm.
Still watching.

susiestar

Roll With It
Is chicken pox going around? Has he had it? With the vaccine you get a milder version if you get it, so if he had the vaccine he might still get it.

I hope he gets better quickly!

Hugs,

Susie

SRL

Shari, take a picture of the rash so you have a record in case you'd need it in the future. It's probably nothing but my daughter gets rashy fairly easy--she'll occasionally get buggy looking bumps that aren't insect related.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The first picture on the site Sara sent is pretty much what most of it looked like except those 4 other bumps. The other bumps are red.

He's had the chicken pox vaccine (I think - or did we skip that, gosh, I'm going to have to look) but haven't heard of it going around anywhere.

smallworld

Have you had him checked by a dermatologist who's familiar with Stevens-Johnson? Any anticonvulsant/mood stabilizer, including Depakote, can cause S-J, even though Lamictal is the one that gets the most press.

SRL

If you're really concerned you probably ought to have it checked out. There are any number of things that could be going on here.

One more thought--we've had reactions to laundry soap or shampoos we've used for years when they've made some formula change.