hard of hearing child

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by jessicaithaca, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. jessicaithaca

    jessicaithaca New Member

    I have a 10-year-old son who is hard of hearing.
    I had a comprehensive evaluation done at Gallaudet U. in Difficult Child and was told that first and foremost he needs to work with a counselor to go through the process of adapting to having a disability. I can't seem to find someone who knows this process and am wondering how to meet his needs otherwise. Does anyone have a child who has gone through this "process"?
    Thank you.
  2. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    Not personally.

    The evaluator should be able to give you the information and who is qualified to teaching the adaptation. If you child has an IEP, the school district is responsible for providing this service at no cost to you. If the sd doesn't have anyone on staff qualified to do this, then they must contract with a professional that does.