Have started going to a new group in real life

DammitJanet

This mental health agency that I get my therapy through has finally started a group therapy session for adult women and it is for something to do with Anxiety and handling stress for people with various disorders.

From what I can gather after the first two meetings and talking to a couple of the gal's outside at the smoke break, most of us have depression/bipolar and the co-morbids.

It is being run by my therapist and one other therapist. Most of the women in it are MY therapists patients...lol. I have the sneaky suspicion that the other therapist is a social worker because she just seems a bit ditzy. I mean, she wanted to read us the definition of what depression symptoms were this week! Ummm...shouldnt we know this if we are either depressed or bipolar? LOL.

Then this "therapist" made the comment that there are two types of depression: depression and bipolar. I just went sigh in my brain. Im thinking to myself...oh god no. Do I really need to teach someone who should know better the entire mood disorder spectrum? I sat on my lips.

Then there was a woman in the group who said that she "only" had depression, not a mental illness and she just didnt understand any of the other stuff like bipolar and didnt want to because that just sounded crazy. LOL. I almost laughed outloud.

Hello, Im Janet and here are all my Axis's. Im proud to wear them!

I think before next session Im gonna make up my name tag to list my 5 axis...lol.

I dont know that this group is gonna be a good fit. I think I may be too advanced. LOL.

klmno

LOL!! This was sounding great when I read the first part. By the time I got to the end, I was spewing coffee.

DammitJanet

I also may be a bit irritable myself. Im sick with a double ear infection and bronchitis which Ive had all week. Im not my happiest, cheerful self when sick.

My ear infection came on late Thursday night and by early Friday morning I was in a panic getting into the doctor because last time that happened, I was incoherent and rushed to the ER. Scared me spitless!

tiredmommy

Janet- I think you should make a t-shirt with your axes on it... I'd love to see that other woman's face (& the other therapist too!). I have a feeling your therapist wants you there because you are "advanced" and will be helpful to the others... especially lil miss "depression isn't a mental illness", lol!

I hope you're starting to feel better... I hate ear infections!

M

ML

I know what you mean. It seems I so often meet people who just don't get it. IT does get tiring always being in a position to have to educate or put up with ignorance which is supposedly bliss anyway. I would hope for some real suppport for you in an in real life group with others who have been there done that and wear the tshirts to prove it.

I hope you recovery from the nasty ear infections soon.