Heat Wave..........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Last mini heat wave had us at 97 degrees.......and I refused to look at the heat index because in my opinion it only makes a person feel hotter. I survived it without AC......but it was miserable, especially on Molly and Maggie.

This heatwave is due to last about 10 days. Now when I looked at the forecast yesterday it said today was going to be like 94 degrees. That was bad enough. This morning they switched it to 101 degrees and that is without the heat index. WTH? So far the rest of the week is like mid-upper 90's.......but after the quick forecast change.....not so sure I believe them.

This is OHIO folks.

Now my poor mom will be seeing at least 103 degrees tomorrow as will a friend of mine in chicago, last I heard.

Yesterday it was like 77 degrees and got cold last night.....I had all the blankets back on the bed. omg

It is winter went away and someone turned on the weird weather switch. This is our 3rd heat wave already.

I'm NOT grinning and dealing with it with no AC. I can't. I don't know where the money will come from to pay the bill.........but yeah. I asked easy child to have sister in law stop over on his way to work to put in my window units. I'm gonna have to svck it up and deal. (I don't even LIKE AC)

I'm going to set up the extra large dog crate for Mr Rowdy for tomorrow so he can come inside during the worst of the heat. Not sure where I'm gonna put it yet.......but he can't stay out with his super thick double layer coat in 101 degrees even in total shade. :(

I know there is a large area going to be affected by this wave as well. My trip to visit my mom was cancelled and we've no clue when we'll be able to reschedule. She doesn't want us driving in such heat for 8 hrs, or stuck along the highway in it due to the car overheating or something.

We haven't had rain in a while. Dayton area obviously has had very little rain.......everything is so dry. Saw that last weekend. We've gotten more than they have.

So what is your forecast? And please, those in the heat wave drink plenty of water, check on outside pets and make sure they have plenty of shade and water.....bring them inside if you can.......and be careful.

cubsgirl

I'm in the Chicago area so we are forecast for around 100 for tomorrow :( I like the summer and warm weather but this is too much for me. Today is supposed to get up to 90 so I'll be turning the a/c on. Like you, we hate running the a/c but we do it when it gets this darn hot.

I hope you and the furkids stay cool!

Californiablonde

Send some heat my way, pleaaaase! I love hot weather but all we've had this June is low and mid seventies. Seventies is COLD in my opinion. If there's even the slightest breeze then I get cold and I need to wear a sweater. I would love it if it hit nineties here. Unfortunately no heat wave is predicted any time soon. Ten day forecast says it's supposed to stay in the seventies. Low seventies at that. I'm bummed. Next week starts our summer vacation and I wish it was hotter out so I could actually lay out in the sun at the pool and not get cold. Of course it doesn't matter to the kids one way or another. They're happy to go swimming when it's in the sixties. I just wish it would at least hit eighty over here. You're lucky. I would trade places with you in a heart beat.

T

TeDo

CB, I'll trade ya'. We are slated to be mid 90s today and tomorrow with VERY high humidity here too. For the next week, it's supposed to be "above average", whatever that means. I already have my AC running since we are already mid 80's with 70% humidity and both are climbing.

Please, everyone in this "stuff" (don't want to get censored), take care and be safe.

Californiablonde

Tedo I would so gladly trade you. ON July 4th it's supposed to be a high of seventy two! That's sweater weather to me. I will gladly take the humidity and heat over cold weather in July. I envy you ladies.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
CB... Try being almost 5.5 months preggers in 101 degrees... Working in an office on an airfield (completely CONCRETE)...

Californiablonde

Yeah when I was pregnant that was the only time I hated heat. With difficult child 1 I was nine months pregnant in December and slept with the fan on. I could never get cool enough. With difficult child 2 it was worse. I was in my third trimester all summer long and it was the hottest summer we had in years, and the humidity was terrible. I was miserable. By the time I had him in October, there was still a huge heat wave going on and the poor baby would be dripping sweat with just a diaper on. So I get ya there. Heat and pregancy don't go well together. I hope you can manage to stay comfortable.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Interestingly... I was born in west Texas. 110 is nothing. But... 95 with the humidity we have here is horrid. And the heat doesn't bug me unless I have to sit still in it. But still, 25+ weeks along and sweating...

DammitJanet

Yeah...the heat wave is coming...it was hot as blazes last week too but I dont get out in it much. I have been packing big 64oz plastic bottles of water mixed with Mio and then freezing them for Tony and Cory to take to work each day. I actually buy the Walmart brand of Mio in the electrolyte type and they keep an extra bottle with them so once they finish the bottles off they can just fill them back up with cold water and add more. Cheaper than Gatorade.

tiredmommy

An interesting point I read recently: a fan will NOT help cool a dog due to their small number of sweat glands (don't recall where I read this). Those without AC can soak their pups with the hose or in their bath tub, then place them in the path of a fan to allow for evaporative cooling.

Mom2oddson

Come to the wonderful Pacific Northwest. We've had FIVE days this month that got to normal. The rest of the time we've been 8-12 degrees below normal.

We are having a nice 70's day today, but we will have to pay for it, the next four are rainy and cold!

Step - the one year that it was hot here from spring on....the year I was pregnant with easy child.

InsaneCdn

An interesting point I read recently: a fan will NOT help cool a dog due to their small number of sweat glands (don't recall where I read this). Those without AC can soak their pups with the hose or in their bath tub, then place them in the path of a fan to allow for evaporative cooling.

This is true.
Other things that help are:
- freeze stock in round plastic containers, then pop out and put in the food dish for the dog to munch on.
- if the dog isn't a chewer, wrap an ice pack in a couple of old towels and put in their kennel - dogs catch on that it's a "cool" spot, and tend to lie beside or on top of.
- some dogs get summer hair-cuts - so they don't trap so much body heat - but then you have to watch out for sunburn
- If you have a basement... the dogs may need to spend a fair bit of their day down there.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Maggie is also enjoying the metal tub filled with water when she's outside. When she's not outside, Rowdy is enjoying it. LOL

Also.......you should change their water (especially outside dogs) a few times, because the heat/sun on the dish makes it hot........I will do Rowdy's 3 X a day when it's 90 degrees and up.

I'll put ice cubes in the water dishes too. But of course they only last long enough for the dogs to catch and munch them down.

And if you have strays in the neighborhood...........even if you don't feed them.......please be kind and put a dish of water out for them too. I try to keep up with my pride of strays water......but they seem to be going through it like mad lately (so I'm guessing I have more cats using than usual)....Midnight was so thirsty this morning she was trying to catch the water as it came out of the watering can while I was watering the garden. So I had to fill her dish yet again.

muttmeister

It was 105 here Monday; 107 yesterday; supposed to "cool down" and only be about 103 today. Humid too. I'm a "glass half full" kind of person so I just try to remember that this beats the he!! out of shoveling snow in a minus 40 windchill. Another good thing: I'm getting lots of reading done because I only air condition one room and I sit by the fan and air conditioner, reading from early afternoon tll bedtime. It doesn't look like it's going to cool off anytime soon so I guess I'd better haul myself to the library this morning.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG mutt!!:hot:

We've officially hit 100 degrees, heat index is 102 with only 20 percent humidity. I think I'm thrilled our humidity is low.

sister in law came over this morning and helped Travis install the big AC in the dining room window downstairs (it does great on the entire lower floor). Travis put a smaller unit in my bedroom window.........and snuck the extra unit into his bedroom window.

Now normally, I'd be pitching a major fit over him sneaking the extra unit as my bill will be high enough as it is (and I won't use AC unless it's in the 90s)..........but his room has 4 windows and he has sun from dawn until dusk and there is no way he can do 100 degrees in that room. (bedrooms are upstairs) Not really fair to have the rest of the house cool and he's roasting in a 120 degree room. Know what I mean??

InsaneCdn

Don't you have a basement?
Back when I was a kid ... we all moved our beds to the basement for the worst of the summer... and our summers don't get NEARLY that hot (we think we're roasting at 90).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The AC in my office is at 55. I drove home without, TYVM. However, if I had to sleep without... UUUGGGHHH... The low humidity is good, means it will cool off when the sun goes down.