Here I go...got motivated

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
After listening to mum on the phone last night hacking and wheezing with her Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), I hung up and destroyed my cigarettes, threw away my lighter and ashtray.

I'm using Nicorette Lozenges as a quitting aid. Can't use the gum because it sticks to my upper plate. Can't use the patch because I'm allergic to the adhesive. Mum was the same age I am now when she quit, and like me, was a 2 pack a day smoker.

I can't hack it anymore. My sinuses already feel better for a day with-o cigarettes, so do my lungs. Maybe all in my head, but I'll take it. My blood pressure was creeping up so I cut out excess salt a few months ago. It came down some, but not enough. I was hacking up a lung in the AM.

So far the worst times have been with my AM tea, after meals, and when sitting on the computer. That's when I hit the lozenges. They taste vile, but they do help. I can't use them every hour as recommended as I get nauseous and the hiccups, which are signs of nicotine toxicity. So...I am using them when the cravings hit.

I tried Welbutrin years ago and it turned me into someone I didn't want to be around, let alone anyone else. My psychiatrist put the kibosh on Chantix, so I have what I have, and I'm going with it. Hopefully my sense of smell will come back. (and I'll probably go nuts with the house smelling of smoke.)

Meanwhile, I am eating sunflower seeds and dropping shells all over my desk. Tomorrow I get to clean the cigarette ashes off my desk. I threw out the ashtray so I am using an old bowl for shells.

I feel very spacey and slightly manic. Went out to Walgreen's earlier and stocked up on hard candy and nuts to munch on.

It's hard. Everywhere I go for errands sells smokes. I have to go through an internal fight every darned time I go into one of these places. It hoovers majorly. I'd love to have a cold beer or cider, but can't because THAT is my worst smoking trigger of all.

Oh well, if knocking off alcohol entirely is what it takes to quit, I'll figure it to be another benefit. I drink maybe 2-3 times a month, and I figure I'll keep the booze for when I go through a week without outright cravings. They'll keep that long and if they don't, well, they'll go down the drain.

Wish me luck. I'm going from 2 packs a day to no cigs at all. I have an e-cigarette but oddly, that makes me cough. Not sure what's in it, but that's the way it is. Pity, as it gives me something to do with my hands that isn't fattening.

InsaneCdn

Sending you all the support we can... yes, you CAN do it. Like everything else, it's ... one day at a time. (or less, as the case may be)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's a sneaky habit...I'm dealing with the "just one won't hurt", but I know me, and like some folks with alcohol, there is no such thing as "just one" when it comes to tobacco with me. Not only will I smoke the entire pack, but for some reason I go back to smoking MORE than I did before I quit.

Only addiction I've ever had and I kick myself for staring in my teens. One of the dumbest things I've ever done.

Up here, I see a lot of teens and twenty-somethings smoking, and I want to just grab them and shake them until their teeth rattle. I dunno if I quit in time to prevent Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in my later years, but I feel like grabbing this youngsters and making them listen to my mother cough and wheeze.

LittleDudesMom

Sending you positive thoughts of support!

I tried quitting a number of times and was up to a pack or a pack and a half. In August of 2012 I was rushed to the OR for emergency bowel resection. After the surgery, I had to blow in that "incentive" thing and make the little blue ball rise to a particular point. I had difficulty doing it and coughing made me cringe as I had stitches from above my navel to almost my privates!

On day 3, I was so determined to make that blue ball rise, I turned to easy child and said, "You know, I'm going to quit smoking". "Seeing that I'll be here for a week, the worst of it should be over."

I haven't wanted to smoke since! I didn't realize how much the smokes affected my life. Of course it's a dirty, nasty, unhealthy habit. Certainly it's very expensive. But the improvement in breathing, coughing, phlegming, etc., begin within 24 hours.

I didn't realize until last winter just how much I was coughing. No wonder I had an incarcerated hernia!!! I just recovered from my first cold after quitting (didn't get sick last winter!) and not smoking made a HUGE difference in the severity and length of the cold/cough.

I wish you the very best of luck. Witnessing your mother's struggles because of smoking should be a huge incentive!

I think the hardest thing is to replace the bad habit with something positive. Not just to eat or suck on candy, but get up and walk around the house, dust a room, call a friend, sing a song, etc., when the cravings set in.

Keep us posted.

Sharon

tiredmommy

I quit 17 years ago. Believe me, if I can do it then so can you. Word of advice: try to find something active to burn the extra calories. I wish I had.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm waiting for my new ice cleats to arrive. My old ones died on me, and yes....we already have ice and snow down. Walking is the best I can do. My knees and back are shot so jogging, etc., is out.

Walking up here in the winter requires serious traction gear, what comes on the bottom of boots doesn't do the trick. I tried to walk the eighth of mile to my mailbox before the snows came, and coughed up lung by the time I got there. had to sit and rest before braving the walk back.

Since then I've been driving to get my mail, which is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if I've already got the start of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) from the smoking, but better the start than the end-stage, which is where mum is heading in not so many years.

I do appreciate the support. So far I am hanging in there, but every time I doze off I dream that I'm smoking...and wake up in a panic and then relieved to find out that I hadn't picked up a cig. The dreams are frighteningly real, too.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad you have decided to stop smoking. You are right, the early stages are MUCH better than the end stages of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). I hope the lozenges will get you through the worst of the cravings etc....

While welbutrin made you someone you didn't like, and chantix isn't an option, you might see if there are herbal things that could help. Years ago a friend of mine chewed on licorice root to help stop smoking. No clue if it works or not, but he said it did. I seem to be very odd because the desire to smoke goes away with prozac. I used to smoke for a few months here and there, and about seven years ago had all desire to smoke go away when I started taking prozac again. I don't know if that is possible for you to take, or if it would have the same effect, but it is what worked for me.

I don't think it is just you when you mention feeling better after only a day. The body has an amazing capacity to heal itself and even long time smokers show improvement very rapidly when they stop smoking.

busywend

Stopped April 1st and haven't gone back at all! I have gained about 12 pounds....but that will come off when I am ready to tackle that beast. I still think about smoking though. Not going to lie. Especially when around other smokers. I smell it on people coming back into work from having one. It smells divine! Haha! Gross right?!?!?!

I will NOT smoke again. After getting through the hardest parts....not willing to go through that again.
Last time I stopped for awhile (can't call it quitting since I started again) I had MAJOR anxiety. This time I decided to try something. Most ADs have not affected me. Trying Effexor now.

Hubby stopped and never thinks about it at all! Everyone is different. Be gentle with yourself. Just do not buy a cigarette! Even one from someone you see smoking! Make sure all your stash is gone. I have 2 offices in different buildings for work. I went to one office after 2 months of not being there and in the drawer was one! I crushed it and tossed it in a huge garbage can.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Wow, that's a terrific and healthy choice, good for you!!! Wishing you a speedy withdrawal and that you feel amazingly wonderful in a very short time! You can do this!

DDD

been there done that and am sending sincere caring thoughts of support your way. I quit for twelve years and was arrogant or stupid enough to think I could "have one" to easy the tensions of entertaining fourteen family members. NOT! It took me two years to "man up" and try again. This time I used the mint flavored lozenges 2mg cut in half with a pill cutter. Yes, lol, I realize I'm still "doing" nicotene. on the other hand one mg and no inhaling is "doable" for me. I'm rooting for you, too. DDD

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have NEVER found the smell of tobacco smoke to be pleasant. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to air this place out when I can't open a window without freezing to death (It's 13 degrees out today).

I'm gonna be doing laundry like crazy to get the smell out of my clothes.

InsaneCdn

Past landlord experience... getting rid of the smell of tobacco smoke is not a small task.

IF you smoked indoors... we usually had to replace all carpets, re-paint all walls and ceilings (two major scrubs for walls, then stain-sealing primer and paint for walls and ceilings), replace all upholstered furniture and mattresses. Curtains and blinds can be professionally cleaned. Hard-surface floors could usually be cleaned - we never had hardwood, so don't know about that one.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
IC, that is so not happening, LOL!

I can't afford to clean a sofa that is on it's last legs, let alone get a new one. I guess I'll have to deal with it. I've got vinyl flooring in all rooms, hate carpet, especially with pets.Floor can get washed, stuff will get wiped down, but that's about it.

cubsgirl

Congratulations on your decision - I know you can do it!! I agree with the thought of NOT "having just one" - you'll just pick up where you leave off.

InsaneCdn

Get carpet deodorizer powder that is Baking Soda based... some are not scented, some are, most have a few other ingredients. It helps... some.

Use TSP for cleaning the walls - plain, or add it to your normal solution. It makes a difference.

Get odour-absorbing air cleaners... not the power ones, but the stand-alone kind. Plain old baking soda in flow-through boxes, there's one made from coconut fiber, another is charcoal-based... there's probably more. Might as well absorb what you can. Just remember to check them and change them.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
GN... AWESOME!!!

Now... I quit cold turkey 2+ packs a day to zero nada zilch so we could do IVF. The first week was HARD. The second week was WORSE. The third week I knew I was pregnant and it was better. That was 22 months ago and - not a one since!

BUT... I dreamed of smoking. I would smell it and it smelled good (and no, I never liked the smell before)... Except on husband. On him, it made me NAUSEATED. Fresh vs stale I guess. (Yes, he has since quit and it has almost made it a year!)

I don't cough as much. My sinuses are better. My colds aren't as bad. Food tastes awesome and I can smell dirty diapers from 5 feet (but not once inside the diaper genie, oddly).

I had to do mine with no lozenges, etc. Wellbutrin had the same effect on me - the patches gave me what I guess are acid-trip dreams (for weeks after I discontinued them too) - the gum and lozenges made me nauseated. Chantix made me nauseated but not bad, but it did not work the first time around. It did for husband, though.

Good luck and - GOOD CHOICE!!!