hi what's a 504?

Jena

HI

so i was wondering what's a 504? i get that its' some type of classification through the school for my little difficult child, yet will it allow her to be treated differently concerning certain things?

schools closed this week so i can't call to ask.

thanks
Jen

klmno

Jennifer, it is meant to allow some accommodations but is not as "complete" as an IEP under IDEA and does not offer the same protection (guarantee somewhat) as an IEP. The experts on the board can explain that better than me, but if your difficult child really needs several accommodations in order to succeed in school, you are better off not settling for this if you have a choice.

meowbunny

For my daughter's school district, a 504 was a way of appeasing parents. You get the same type of meeting and write-up as for an IEP but it does not have to be followed. If you're lucky, you'll get a teacher who will try hard to follow a 504 but if it can't be followed, oh, well, too bad. An IEP has to be legally followed. (If you can't tell, I'm rather cynical when it comes to a 504. Since they don't have to follow the "suggestions," it is worth about what the value of the paper it is written on, if that.) However, most schools will require that a 504 be tried before they'll even consider an IEP.

Jena

what is an IEP then? so you don't think a 504 is worth it? what type of accommodations would difficult child get anyway? not to do her hw? lol becuase that's her problem is doing her work her focus is not there now.

Martie

If you do not understand your rights, DON'T sign anything until you do...

It is really frightening to the experienced parents who hang out here that you are going to a meeting not knowing what an IEP or 504 is.

You SD is not going to be a reliable source of information if it is like MOST SD. There are exceptions but they are few in my opinion.

If you do not self-educate and advocate for your difficult child, who will?

Martie