How do I not Enable him?


New Member
My son is smoking pot. Been through juvenile court. Released from a program after drug treatment but he has been clear with every one including judge and case workers that he does not plan to stop smoking. Now that he has been released from these programs he has been smoking daily. Today I believe at least 3 times. He is not smoking in our house but i am guessing it is happening in our yard. Bottom line is unless I give up sleep and my job I will not be able to stop a 17 yr old. He I now in a GED program so no daily school. I feel like we are making it way too easy for him to live like this. He works and pays for his phone because we have taken it from him and he gets his own. I think he needs to have to support himself so the reality hits him sooner. Any way we can legally make him leave without putting him in prison?


100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Hi Mom and welcome:

Sorry you have to be here but glad you found us.

It sounds like you are doing everything that you can at the moment since he is a minor. He is working, working on his GED and not smoking pot in your home.

Does he have a car? Has he stolen from you? Are there other drugs he's using?

The more information we have the more that someone will be able to comment.

Do you have a spouse or any other children in your home?

As you can see by my signature, we have been through a lot with our son so I do know what it's like to have the rug pulled out from underneath you.

More will be along to offer their wisdom but do know it's important you take care of yourself in all of this too. I see a therapist which helps me deal with our son and what he has brought into our lives.


Well-Known Member
I don't know where you live, and that will determine at what age a child can legally be evicted from the parents home. Eviction laws where you live must also be followed to the letter, or you could find yourself in legal hot water.

You are in a difficult position depending on the marijuana laws in your area. If it is illegal, you can get in trouble for your son having it in your house ( I turned my son in. I refuse to go to jail or lose my house for something I did not do). If it's legal, what's the age and circumstances?