I AM NEW AND HAVE QUESTIONS

I have a few questions about herbal remedies for adhd/odd.
1. Do I need to stop giving my child prescription medications before trying these remedies (will combining them create adverse side effects?)He is currently on a lot of different medications.
2. What is a good herbal formula to start out with? I need an effective treatment for adhd/odd agressive 12 year old.
3. Should I try one at a time or a combination?
Could you all be kind enough to get me started here? I am just not as happy with conventional treatment as I hoped to be. My son is very medication resistant and not only metabolizes medication at a fast rate but often after a month or so the medication begins to lose its effectiveness. I also worry about what all these medications are doing to his young body.

eln/babblecon: (what a name!)

Helloo! I will tell you what I've done and how it works for us.

FIRST, ROB/I NEEDED medicine -- for safety and sanity all around. I too didn't like giving them but I'm convinced we wouldn't be here alive without them...so I'm very thankful and they DO have a place.

SECOND, I made sure I read everything I could on everything. I'll save you a few years here and suggest joining the Feingold Association which is very inexpensive and could very easily be a BIG KEY to unlocking the mystery of your child. This takes time to implement and "try", but hey -- we all could eat better and this really isn't that difficult.

THIRD, after getting all the crud out of our immediate systems (takes 4 - 6 weeks) IF you want to try to reduce medications now would be the time. My son was on zyprexa along with his clonidine and the reactions were so BAD that I weaned him off even as I was starting the feingold program. He has lost 10 lbs and his attitude is BETTER than it was on the medication...plus he doesn't have the "tic" anymore (given to him by the medication.) I will admit that I still take advantage of clonidine but trust me, with difficult child's -- esp. mine! and to ME -- sleep is important.

FOURTH, along with, or after this, there's a whole HOST of alternative methods to try. I try to keep my "trials" a bit separate so I know what's working and effecting HOW..but let's face it, the GOAL is PEACE AND PROGRESS all around. I'm sure like me, it's a WHATEVER IT TAKES attitude. My trials include and will include, as I've not the finances to do ALL RIGHT AWAY:
Music Therapy (Mozart Theory, etc.)
Chiropractic
Kinesiology
Vitamin Therapy (b/g algae, etc, etc.)
BIOfeedback
Acupuncture
These along with the "normal" western treatments of Psychiatrist (for medications) and therapist of whatever sort, for you and/or difficult child. Rob is in play therapy with 5 goals specified to work in the coming ?? months.

That's taken me the last 4+ years and we're not THERE yet, but I tell you, it's 1000 times better than before!!! I guess one thing we share with difficult child is our unwillingness to give up!!! (and perhaps, too, a little of the frustration and hopelessness...every now and then)
smile.gif

Hope this helps.

------------------
Mom to 6 y/o difficult child Robby (!)
ADHD,Hypo-Manic,Psychotic,"he's fine -- it's the mother"
Currently weaning off medications (used to be zyprexa and clonidine) thanx Feingold!
Widowed 5 yrs ago; now have most wonderful SO
With GOD All Things Are Possible.....

Well geeze, I just have to say that everything Robertsmom said is exactly right!!!
smile.gif

Here is a website that is an online book. You can donwload it or read it on line. It will explain alot about how vitmains and diet affect mood and behavior. VERY INTERESTING!!!
http://www.biochemimbal-behavior.com/
As far as mixing them with medications. most vitamins you can do that with. IT's the herbal remidies that can be kinda iffy. SO, if you know anyone one that is up on that stuff it's best to ask!! Like the SAMe is not good to take if your on an antidepressant.. things like that?? So, sometimes its good to ask. But your basic vitmain therapy is usully fine. And so is the algae and Efflax!!!

------------------
Nancy
ODD/BIPOLAR/ADD Girl 6 1/2 yrs
Off All medications
Fav. Funny quote-"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably
still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy
With Out GOD, my life would fall apart!!!!!

oh yeah I forgot a few things.. WELCOME first off..
smile.gif

and good things to try? Well depending on the diagnosis. That SAMe is good but expensive. The algae is my personal favorite (Thats why I sell it) Some people have had luck with the Eflax, others say the effects wear off ?
Always good to give Omega 3 & 5 fatty acids (which are in the efflax and the algae)

I hope this helps??
I would also say that you should try them one at a time or else you'll never know what is working??

------------------
Nancy
Off All medications
Fav. Funny quote-"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably
- Snoopy

Well the algae is great stuff!! it basically supplies everything that the food doesnt supply anymore. It's also considered to be Natures Ritalin. Doesnt space the kids out but it helps them focus. I love it even for me. I feel so much better when I take it!!

------------------
Nancy
Off All medications
- Snoopy

Dogchopper, what dosage of blue green algea would be appropriate for a 12 year old who is very resistant to medications?
And could you give me some links to learn about this remedy? It sounds like something I may like to try.

Well I give my girl 2 algaes in the morning and one at about 3 or 4. But she's only 6 so I would go for 2 in the am and 2 in the afternoon. Also I give her extra b6 and zinc, just because she was tested to be low in those. Also... Acidoluphis (boy I kill the spelling of that word) is good to give them!!! and the Enzymes also. So, what I usually tell people to do is to go to the algae order page, and if you want to order from it, try the special 3 or 4. That is about 67 bucks and lasts at least 2 months. It has 2 bottles of algae, one of the enzymes and one of the acidolphus.. A good starting point. With in 2 months you should know if it's working or not!!
Just go to the links I put on the other posts and go to the order form that will tell you the prices..
As far as more info on the products. Other than the links I put on the other page I dont really have any more!
frown.gif
sorry. But the ADHD outreach site has lots of info on it from the Dr. Taylor. He's real good!!! I put that link on the other reply I put on here. So it should help you out!!

Well, Im rambling!!!

Take care,

------------------
Nancy
Off All medications
- Snoopy