I am really getting ticked off!!

Valentine

I swear the lack of communication between all parties involved in my difficult child's life is driving me bananas. Ok so Mental Health and Family Prez tells me he cant come home but my kiddo is being discharged on Wednesdayand GUESS what.... NOBODY knows where he is going!!!! I think he needs a PRTF but his therapist thinks he should go to a foster home here in town.. I say PRTF because of the stigma he is living with in this little town and he has told me he NEEDS a fresh start. Oh and he got a psychiatric evel and they now say Bipolar with ODD. Please I need advice on how to handle this situation...

klmno

I don't know what to advise you- accept to burn the phone lines up tomorrow trying to find out from whomever is discharging him who's supposed to pick him up and where he is supposed to go. Or find out who is in charge of making that choice. Don't be surprised if he is sent home- unless your state has a lot more money than mine and more consistent services. I wish I could say something to make you feel better but I've been thru frustrations with people in the various sytems too and finally concluded that the only way to end them is to try to get my son out of the system- it's a catch 22 because we parents need their help many times.

LittleDudesMom

Valentine, I'm sorry that I'm not familiar enough with those types of issues to give you any suggestions, but I am moving this back up on the forum so that others who might have some "words of wisdom" can chime in.

It might also be helpful to do a signature profile like you see at the bottom of my post. Go to the User CP icon on the upper left of the page and go from there. Sometimes, with so many members, it's hard to remember the history of particular members and their difficult child's history.

Sharon

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
There is never to be a discharge without a discharge plan in place. I've never heard of this before.

If you truly believe that your difficult child needs Residential Treatment Center (RTC) it's time to spend a great deal of time on the phone; I took 2 days off for my son wm when he was to be discharged & we hadn't found a bed in Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

I started with county mental health & moved my way up & talked to the head of the states department of health & human services & everything in between. A bed was found within 36 hours because no one wanted to hear my voice again.

As for moving a difficult child out of his current living situation/town, whatever, that is truly not a good idea. difficult children illness will move with him - the venue isn't going to help over the long run.

If a bed at Residential Treatment Center (RTC) does not open I think that a therapeutic foster home may be your next best step. Ask for a tour of the home & an interview with foster parents & any staff who may work there.

Keeping fingers crossed that something positive happens & a safe placement is found for difficult child.