I am wondering if the school psychologist is with it...

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by ksm, Dec 6, 2011.

  1. ksm

    ksm Well-Known Member

    We have played phone tag for two weeks about scheduling school based IQ and educational achievement testing. I finally heard from her yesterday and she wants it in writing. So I ask, can I email you or should I mail it?

    Here is the kicker. "Just give it to (difficult child) and have her give it to the secretary at the school" Ha! The main reason we are doing testing is that difficult child is failing most subjects becasue SHE NEVER HANDS IT IN!! Makes me think that this school psychologist doesn't have a clue. I will be driving this to the school and handing it to the secretary myself.

    I wonder if this lady has ever raised a child at all???

  2. rdland

    rdland New Member

    Wow! She is clueless!!
  3. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not


    I may be wrong here, but I think your best bet is to request school-based testing through a formal letter to the SD. That's what we did when we needed an IEP for my son.

    I think allowing the school psychologist to play games with you is just wrong. After two weeks of phone tag all she can tell you is to have difficult child bring the request to school in a note? I'm sorry, but if she needed something in writing she could have left that in a message for you the very first day.

    Time to get a little more "formal" and business-like with the school...
  4. TeDo

    TeDo Guest

    Absolutely ditto DF. For something like this, NEVER send a written request by email, gfgmail or anything other than certified mail. Because she's apparently been "dodging" you and then wants it in writing........uh uh.......it goes certified mail with "return receipt requested" and it includes testing for IQ, psychological, academic, behavioral, Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP). Give it ALL to them in writing whether you really want all that testing done or not, I would make them cover all the bases as long as they're at it.
  5. ksm

    ksm Well-Known Member

    When I spoke to the school psychologist she said she could do IQ and academic achievement testing. What is Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)? I can edit my letter before I print. Thanks. Mary
  6. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    Occupational Therapist (OT) - occupational therapy. An Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation would typically be checking for sensory issues and/or motor skills problems.

    Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) - speech language pathologist. Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) evaluation should cover language processing, speech, auditory issues (including auditory figure ground! - one of the lesser-known APDs)