I can't seem to catch a break

Nancy

CB my heart goes out to you because my daughter suffers from severe anxiety and obsessive thoughts and it is heartbreaking to watch She has been seeing therapists and on medication since she was a teen. While the medication has helped keep it in check most of the time, she still suffers greatly. No amount of suggestions or anyone telling her not to worry helps. It's hard for me to understand because I see her worries as so unfounded. But that is the nature of anxiety.

It would be great if you could find a support group that you feel comfortable with so that you have others that face the same struggles as you do.My daughter was just able to wean off her anxiety medication and switch to zoloft because she and her husband are hoping to get pregnant and it's a safer medication. I know she will suffer with this all her life and the best I can do is just be there when she wants to talk. I hope you find something that works for you. The diet is a good positive step.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Hi CB, just wanted to chime in and let you know I'm thinking about you. I'm glad to hear you have found a diet that you like. I'm sure as you lose some weight you will start to feel better in all areas.
I'm sorry about your therapist but I'm glad that you can vent here.
You have been through so much and it hasn't destroyed you and that my friend says that you are so much stronger than you are giving yourself credit for.
You are a survivor!! I know you are still having some tough issues to deal with but I know you can get through it. Hang in there.

Inspirational-Quotes-about-Life-Life-isnt-meant-to-be-easy-its-meant-to-be-lived..sometimes-happy-other-times-rough.-But-with-every-up-and-down-.jpg

Lil

There are still churches.

If you aren't religious, there are many self-help groups that meet free of charge. Maybe not as good as one-on-one therapy, but another possibility. My tiny Midwest church has a co-dependency group, an AA/NA group, and a bereavement support group, meeting in our building. Maybe there is a group for people with anxiety disorders you could find?

Congratulations to both Cali and Runawaybunny on your weight loss. That's something Jabber and I both have to get busy on ASAP. We just have to do something to improve our health and losing weight is #1 priority.

Tanya M

Staff member
Lil and SWOT have good points. My church has program called Celebrate Recovery - it's not just for people with drug/alcohol addictions - it has helped many people learn some valuable coping skills and it's free. There are people that come that have never been to church. It's not about "church" it's about helping people.

Hope you are having a good day!
:staystrong::group-hug:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB, that's a good point about churches. Also, some Ys offer support groups as well, and do not require that you be a member to join them.

Another thing to look for are clubs of various sorts. Places to meet people face-to-face and do things together, could be handicrafts, could be a book club, whatever you'd enjoy.

In addition to cutting the apron strings, I think you really need a face-to-face friend to actually do things with.

Best of luck to you.

Californiablonde

CB my heart goes out to you because my daughter suffers from severe anxiety and obsessive thoughts and it is heartbreaking to watch She has been seeing therapists and on medication since she was a teen. While the medication has helped keep it in check most of the time, she still suffers greatly. No amount of suggestions or anyone telling her not to worry helps. It's hard for me to understand because I see her worries as so unfounded. But that is the nature of anxiety.

It would be great if you could find a support group that you feel comfortable with so that you have others that face the same struggles as you do.My daughter was just able to wean off her anxiety medication and switch to zoloft because she and her husband are hoping to get pregnant and it's a safer medication. I know she will suffer with this all her life and the best I can do is just be there when she wants to talk. I hope you find something that works for you. The diet is a good positive step.
Nancy, I hope your daughter does well on the Zoloft and has a healthy baby. Zoloft was my wonder drug for 19 years. I had very little anxiety with it and my health Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) was virtually gone. Then suddenly it up and quit on me. Since I stopped the Zoloft, my doctors tried me on every other antidepressant out there. Nothing has helped. I miss the way Zoloft kept me in check. I wish the best for your daughter. I hope she has a good outcome with the Zoloft like it did for me. And thank you so much for your support and understanding.

Californiablonde

I forgot that you make too much for help. There are still churches. Do you have I insurance?
Yes I have insurance. I pay a $20 copay for my therapist, and sometimes I am literally that broke that I can't even afford that. It all depends on what time of the month it is. If it's right after payday, great. I have no problem paying for it myself. But if I am low on money, sometimes even $20 is undoable for me. My mom felt bad so she ended up calling the receptionist and explaining what happened. My therapist may end up waiving the $50 cancellation fee. I haven't heard back from her yet. I will update you all and let you know what she says.

Californiablonde

Lil and SWOT have good points. My church has program called Celebrate Recovery - it's not just for people with drug/alcohol addictions - it has helped many people learn some valuable coping skills and it's free. There are people that come that have never been to church. It's not about "church" it's about helping people.

Hope you are having a good day!
:staystrong::group-hug:
Actually I am quite religious and I do attend church regularly. That's a great idea. I will be there this Sunday. I will ask about possible counseling or support groups.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB, the fact that you are religious (I assume Christian of some sort?) will make it a lot easier for you to find support groups as so many of them are faith-based. I remember up North trying to go to a couple of different Al-Anon meetings because between my alcoholic sister and my in-recovery mother who is a dry drunk, I was having trouble coping.

One meeting opened and closed with a bible verse and a prayer. The other was run by a Catholic priest. I was horribly uncomfortable at both meetings and didn't come back. Unfortunately, the nearest Al-anon meetings where I was much less likely to run into that sort of thing were 90 miles away in Wausau, WI.

Even if you aren't Catholic, do check Catholic Charities. I cannot recommend them highly enough. They are not anywhere as income-driven as a lot of orgs are, and you don't have to be Catholic, or even Christian for them to help you.

I would've starved my first year up North if it wasn't for their food pantry and assistance with gas bills. If they'll help out a Jew turned Atheist, they'll probably help out anyone.

Catholic Charities also keeps a list of other aid organizations that help with mental health/counseling, etc.

Do look into them

I don't know how much you make, and it's none of my business, but I make enough to live on though rent takes a big chunk out of that. The ONLY mental health care I am able to afford here is through the county. Private psychiatrists/tdocs were not taking new patients, didn't take my insurance (Classic Medicare/ChampVA), or didn't take insurance at all and wanted 600+ dollars for intake and 200+dollars for medication management. Counseling was well over a hundred dollars an hour. There's no way I can afford that, so I went through county services. I pay a 5 dollar copay for each psychiatrist visit, and 3 dollars for each therapist visit. The rest is billed to my insurance.

I'm getting good care, too.

Tanya M

Staff member
That's great CB. It's amazing how many resources church's have and if they don't they are pretty good at helping direct to where you can go.
Hoping you have a GREAT weekend!
:flowers:

ksm

Our community, has an organization called "First Call For Help". And their main goal is to connect people with organizations that can help with their needs.

If you can't find a group or organization on your own, I suggest you call your local Red Cross...they can't help, but they are very involved in the community and have contacts you might not be aware of. Also, United Way is a good agency to ask for help in finding help.

Our town of 50,000 has a NAMI group and I attended a 10 week class session, once a week.

Good luck.

KSM

Nancy

Thanks for the info on your experience with zoloft CB. I hope it brings her relief also. I have heard that for many, their medications just stop working after a while. I think the paxil stopped working for her. I already see a difference in her mood on the zoloft. I use to be afraid to answer the phone when she called and I don't feel that way as often anymore, she seems to be in a much better place. I hope you find some relief also.

Californiablonde

Well guess what my therapist decided to waive the $50 cancellation fee. I will see her again this Thursday. I can't wait to tell her all about my health anxiety and how much of a negative impact it has on my daily life. I also have an appointment with my general practitioner on the same day to discuss my GERD and high blood pressure. I am going to take the whole day off work. It will be a nice four day weekend for me. Oh, and I am happy to report that despite cheating BIG TIME on Halloween last Monday, I lost another two and a half pounds for the week. That's five and a half pounds in two weeks, and I am happy with that. For once I think I can finally do this!