I got a surprise!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Now most of you know I've been in school 3 yrs now. (OMG that's a long time lol) First year was for phlebotomy. Second and third year have been getting pre recs out of the way for the nursing program.

The other day husband says to me.......So, if you do the LPN you don't get your associates degree in nursing. True. Well, he says, with all the classes you've taken, you ought to see if you at least have an associates degree in sciences.

At first I thought he was joking. Then I didn't think I probably did...... So yesterday I checked it out.

If I take another english class (yuk) and a history class.......I'll have earned my associates degree in sciences.

Well, I'll be d*mned. :rofl:

I have no clue what such a degree will do for me. Other than maybe look good on a resume?? But, hey.......I earned it, so I'm gonna take another english class and a history class. lol Why waste all that time??

And if I do get the RN....well, then I'll have 2 degrees.....won't that be somethin'. LOL

I just keep chuckling about it. Cuz everytime I think about it......My Mom telling me that I wasn't smart enough for college back when I was 18 keeps replaying in my mind. :tongue:

by the way what does one actually do with an associates degree in sciences???

skeeter

My first degree was an AS in "science technology" - concentration in biology and chemistry. It was enough back in the day to get me a job at that company in Cincy that makes soap..... I did go back (on their dime) and get a BS in Natural Science.

You pretty much need a BS to get in the door of said company now.

M

ML

I am so happy for you! You have worked so hard and you deserve this. You have every reason to be proud xo ML

eekysign

Haha....your question makes me giggle. I have a BS in sciences, and I'm not using it, either. :)

It's a stepping stone. Many companies out there don't care WHAT your degree is in, as long as you have one. My roommate and I were just chatting about this last night---she wants to try to start taking classes and get at least an associates, 'cause her company looks favorably on that for promotion. But she says the next level up from her position, they all have different sorts of degrees----business, english, bio, psychiatric, whatever, as long as they have one. So the short answer? ANYTHING YOU WANT TO! ;)

I'm tempted to go back and get a RN. With my other schooling, I could probably do some neat jobs with the combo. Go you! I was a phlebotomist for a few years to pay my way through college. I MISS that job. Hehe.

rejectedmom

My daughter has a MS in cellular and molecular biology worked in the research dept of a major teaching hospital. Made some groundbreaking preliminary discoveries that are being followed through on with great impact on treatments for cancer and other major autoimmune diseases. After four years she quit. Didn't like being on the bench. She then reped OTC pharmacuticals to doctors but the new laws put her out of a job. She is now getting certified as a YOGA instructor. LOL.

An education is never wasted. And it does give you some added leverage in the job market. You deserve to be proud of yourself and your accomplishments. -RM

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Love the idea of sending it to mom! lol I'd be temped to post it in her local paper...half page add, with nothing but a copy of your diploma. Not only would she see it, then, her friends would, too, and make her TALK about it.

(I will probably burn in haites. I am aware of this.)

KTMom91

Hubby's AS in Electronic Systems Technology helped him get the job he has now. He's also thinking about continuing school and getting an BS in Electrical Engineering. My AA was in Liberal Studies; my BS is in Marketing. You never know when those little letters will help in your job search. No knowledge is ever wasted. I say GO FOR IT! and march proudly across that stage.

Congratulations!