Update

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Thanks to everyone for their support. So happy that we all have each other to offer comfort and advice.

As you may recall (if we can even remember all the stories we read about here!) my son relapsed on pills (after five years without pills!!!) in July as we were preparing our move across the country from the Alabama Coast back to Chicagoland for my husband's job. Let me add that my son WANTED this move. Due to his relapse, he got fired from his Home Depot job and did not pass his last class in college (stopped going to class) and did NOT get his Associates Degree in Computer Networking after working very hard and getting good grades and even being on the Dean's List once. Naturally we were heartbroken and felt like we had gotten run over by a truck. A big truck!! This happened as husband I were already super stressed about move, job changes etc. and we're early 60's!!

His dad made him leave and he drove to Chicago ahead of us and got a job at Amazon and is still there. He again relapsed on pills in our home and we made him leave. After a few weeks and him telling us that he again used pills and he knew he screwed up, we helped him get an apartment and he seems to be finally adjusting to all the newness. He just got a second part time job for his days off as he realizes that he doesn't need much free time. He had his brothers over last weekend for the Bears game and they had a long talk with him and talked about budgeting his money and other life skills and he seems to be more aware of what he needs to do to move forward. He never listened to us but talking to his "peers" seemed to have reached him. He even is laying off caffeine and sugar right now.

He told his brothers he feels good after working and going to apartment to relax but on days off gets lonely (and bored and leads to bad things). We told him he can come here once per week to have dinner and stay and then any other time he wants until he gets adjusted to being alone.

So we really don't know what will happen but I'm praying he stays on track and does not use pills ever again but I know I cannot control any of this. We plan to help him for a year and then see where he is. We are going to encourage him in January to go back to school to finish his degree so he can make enough to support himself. It's so nice for husband and I to have our life back. I think he likes being in his own place also.

I'm trying to stay positive which is what we all desperately need!

Nomad

Staff member
Some good signs here! He recognizes that being by himself on days off is a problem amd he got a fill in job. And has his brothers fir healthy camaraderie and advice.

And how wonderful that you and your husband can relax in your lovely new home.

Something to consider is …if you are willing, let him know that he can go to therapy if he ever feels he needs it. At least for the short term. Moving is highly stressful. Perhaps a little less so since he has lived in this area before. But it is still a major change.

Glad things are settling nicely. Sending good vibes that he stays on track.

Copabanana

Hi RN. Thank you for the update. If he goes back to school to complete his degree there he has a better chance of meeting new friends.

Oh, how I know how this feels when it feels like your heart is living outside of your body, in the form of your child's disappointment and pain. The life lessons that come with this are ours to learn: how to carve out selves, joy, and purpose, while we suffer and feel the suffering of others, most difficult of all, our child.

Well, here I go, trying to live his life for him: Does he have hobbies or potential ones) that could be developed? People who love to do certain activities are drawn out of the house to be with others who also engage in the same interests. Your boy is sensitive which is a great quality but it often takes a long time to learn to be in the world, with this quality.

I think you did the right thing to encourage (insist) that he lives independently. All of us or most of us at one time or another have to develop this skill. I love to live alone.

I am wondering if the pill addiction from the beginning was about a sensitive soul trying to not feel so much. It may be his life's work to deal with feeling so much and learning and embracing that this is his greatest gift.

Our children have their own life stories to make and we can't write them, however much we (I) try.

Last edited:

newstart

Thanks to everyone for their support. So happy that we all have each other to offer comfort and advice.

As you may recall (if we can even remember all the stories we read about here!) my son relapsed on pills (after five years without pills!!!) in July as we were preparing our move across the country from the Alabama Coast back to Chicagoland for my husband's job. Let me add that my son WANTED this move. Due to his relapse, he got fired from his Home Depot job and did not pass his last class in college (stopped going to class) and did NOT get his Associates Degree in Computer Networking after working very hard and getting good grades and even being on the Dean's List once. Naturally we were heartbroken and felt like we had gotten run over by a truck. A big truck!! This happened as husband I were already super stressed about move, job changes etc. and we're early 60's!!

His dad made him leave and he drove to Chicago ahead of us and got a job at Amazon and is still there. He again relapsed on pills in our home and we made him leave. After a few weeks and him telling us that he again used pills and he knew he screwed up, we helped him get an apartment and he seems to be finally adjusting to all the newness. He just got a second part time job for his days off as he realizes that he doesn't need much free time. He had his brothers over last weekend for the Bears game and they had a long talk with him and talked about budgeting his money and other life skills and he seems to be more aware of what he needs to do to move forward. He never listened to us but talking to his "peers" seemed to have reached him. He even is laying off caffeine and sugar right now.

He told his brothers he feels good after working and going to apartment to relax but on days off gets lonely (and bored and leads to bad things). We told him he can come here once per week to have dinner and stay and then any other time he wants until he gets adjusted to being alone.

So we really don't know what will happen but I'm praying he stays on track and does not use pills ever again but I know I cannot control any of this. We plan to help him for a year and then see where he is. We are going to encourage him in January to go back to school to finish his degree so he can make enough to support himself. It's so nice for husband and I to have our life back. I think he likes being in his own place also.

I'm trying to stay positive which is what we all desperately need!
Hi RN, I was glad your wrote an update. I have no idea why your son would go back on drugs after being off of them for five years. I know you feel deeply broken hearted. I hope his jobs keep him very busy and I hope there are some fun people he can connect with so he will not feel so lonesome at his apartment. I pray he goes back and finishes that degree. I pray for all of you, that you enjoy Chicago again and I hope you will be able to take the brutal winter after living in the south. Many prayers that your son stays clean and healthy. Amen.

Helpless29

Thank you for the update , I was thinking of you both . I’m glad he’s adjusting & doing well . My son also often says the same thing about being lonely , I mean he has the guys in the sober living home which are older men but I think he misses being around guys his age (19) having a girlfriend all the things kids his age would be doing. He loves art & poetry so I’m trying to see what they offer out there but now with the hurricane there’s nothing he can do. I hope your son decides to go back & finish school that would be a great thing for him . Keep us posted .

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Thanks ladies.

He came for dinner last night and stayed the night and we went to get our Illinois license this morning.

He did say he plans to take some online IT classes so I'm glad to hear that. Not pushing right now as we want him to adjust to his new life here. He will start second job soon so will be very busy. He knows he needs to find a better full time job with benefits but again, we are trying to refrain from talking about it with him right now. Let the holidays pass first.

He told me today when we push him that he feels that what he is doing in the moment is "not good enough". I told him we know he has struggles and the most important thing is to stay on track and off pills. I explained that dad and I are both "Type A" and we are always pushing ourselves. Our three boys are not like that but the older two always just did the right thing in life.

All the best!

Helpless29

Who knew? I am thrilled with this.
Yes always has ,the many times he was locked up he would write poetry or draw , I think it’s calming for him & he gets his feelings out . Hopefully when this tropical storm is over, he can find some art classes or painting through the library

Helpless29

Who knew? I am thrilled with this.
Yes always has ,the many times he was locked up he would write poetry or draw , I think it’s calming for him & he gets his feelings out . Hopefully when this tropical storm is over, he can find some art classes or painting through the library