I need patience

TerryJ2

difficult child has been a brat today. I am recovering from a cold and so is he. He went to baseball practice this a.m., was extremely cranky when I picked him up, I got him a McD (with-no bun) then came home and let him play a football DVD game for a while.
I got an email from his teacher that said she was "shocked" he had told us twice this wk that he didn't have any homework. She said she spent 1-on-1 time with-him to get caught up and he is still way behind. She said he, and the other students, must study every day this weekend for math and Latin for tests coming up Tues. The science fair expo is Thurs.
difficult child got into a heated argument and it took me a while to figure out it was the difference between the words "homework" and "study."
I really don't care what it's called. He's got work to do.
He's splitting hairs, as Aspies will do. He hates homework anyway so it's much easier for him to argue that the sky is green.
Right now he's doing a math worksheet that magically appeared in his pocket about 15 min. ago.
He's supposed to be doing a reading challenge, reading every day and recording the minutes and chapters, but he refuses to write anything down until ea book is complete. He refused to listen to my explanation and just shouted at me.
I am just tired and need a vacation. He's had too many days off, he's way behind in school, we've been around one another too much.
I am in my ofc now and difficult child is downstairs with-husband. I'm supposed to be making dinner but I don't even want to be around him right now.
G*d, this is hard.

It doesn't seem to matter that we've made as much progress as we've had when he still gets like this.

TerryJ2

I just wanted to add that he chest-butted me and I told him not to push me, and just at the moment, husband walked in, and difficult child lied and said he hadn't touched me.
Aarrrggghh.

husband got him to do a math worksheet and calm down a bit. I am just staying away for now. I'd love a hotel rm and a soft bed and a neat restaurant ... but I can't afford to run away from home right now. :(

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
((hugs))

And doesn't help when you're both not feeling well.

I so remember the magically reappearing homework........that's if Travis managed to get it home from school in the first place. Also the splitting hairs on terminology. Travis also hated homework, I dunno how much of that was due to the fact he had major issues with getting it home.

Can you hibernate in your office this evening and give yourself a break? Sounds like you really need one. Thank goodness monday is the day after tomorrow.

Hope you feel better soon.

B

bran155

Deep breaths..... Take a nice looong, HOT bath. Let husband handle the little one for the evening. You deserve a break!!!

(((HUGS))) :)

TerryJ2

I stayed in my ofc and worked on a mss for a long time. I did not make dinner. difficult child ate hot dogs (I only buy them once a yr) and husband had trail mix. difficult child read 2 or 3 chaps in a book, so we allowed him to watch COPS and Am Most Wanted.
husband was able to get difficult child to read his book and record it the way I originally instructed him. It's good that I stepped out of the picture.
I watched a bit of Am Most Wanted with-them, and difficult child had calmed down enough to ask me to rub his shoulders.
They are asleep now. Whew!

I slept 11 hrs last night to I am clearly not up to speed. I hope difficult child is in a better mood in the a.m. It seems like he has once again adopted the word, "NO" as his favorite.

Janna

Terry,

I'm sorry to hear difficult child is having a tough time. It sounds like you are really going through alot of the same things I am. Maybe we need to get together for a stiff drink? LOL!

I wish I had an idea or something for you. Is he in regular education? Latin? Seriously? Wow. I can't get D to do English LMAO! That's alot of work. For an Aspie, maybe he's on overload.

I have significantly decreased my expectations for D. It's been very hard to do because I know he's very intelligent when he wants to be. But, at this point, if he doesn't do what he needs to do he suffers the natural consequences for it in school.

I'm sorry difficult child is being physical. I hope today is a better day.

TerryJ2

Thank you.

We're going to pull him out of his current school at the end of the yr. He knows something's up but we don't want to totally demotivate him so we're not telling him until he finishes.
It is a rigorous college prep school and it's amazing that he hasn't totally collapsed by now, so looking at it from the outside, I can see what's going on.
From the inside ... I'm way deep into it!! LOL.

rejectedmom

My son was horrid when he was not feeling well. A real Jeckyl-Hyde. I hope when he gets back to normal it will be the status quo again. Sadly homework will most likely always be an issue that is why we ended up putting difficult child into a school for kids with learning disabilities. They totally understood the homework issue and didn't give any. It cost us alot in terms of money but it saved us so much in terms of stress. -RM

TerryJ2

You're lucky you have a good school like that around.

We have one in our city and one in the next city. They are designed for kids with several LDs and I don't think difficult child would fit in.
He doesn't fit in to the college prep school where he is, either.
So maybe the change this fall will work. We can only try and see.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Terry,
Sounds like a very long day yesterday-how frustrating. I hear you on the hotel room and a nice restaurant. I'm glad he finally settled down last night. I'm so glad my difficult child's school "gets" difficult child this year. He come home with occasional hw and they know it will get done or not depending on his mood. Hugs to you.