I want to hear about your difficult child's good qualities!!

Farmwife

I got an idea from a post I just made but hate to hijack my own thread, lol.

I know we all get burnt out from time to time and it is so hard to see positive sides of our difficult child's.

I want to hear about all the good, unique and wonderful things about your difficult child's. I would love to reflect on the goodness in them, even if it is hard to see sometimes. I think we all need reminders from time to time just how wonderful our difficult to parent kiddos are underneath all of their issues.

Please feel free to brag, boast and sing the praises of your difficult child's. :D

Even small things, recent milestones only we can understand, silly knock knock jokes they make up, doesn't matter...

Only one rule, no negative stuff allowed, no "buts" or "could have done betters", no saying they have too few good qualities, just plain ole pats on their backs!!!

H

HaoZi

Mine is great at math, science, reading, and art (loves to read and draw!). She has an eye for details that I always lacked as an artist. She has great enthusiasm for things she enjoys and an infectious giggle. She is capable of bringing great joy to those around her, can be very helpful and considerate, and has shown great patience playing with younger or handicapped kids. She is waaaaay better at pronouncing dinosaur names and remembering them than I am. She has a great love and knowledge of marine biology. She travels better than most kids (even PCs), she will help with simple chores like sorting clean laundry and gathering clothes and dishes to be washed, and usually remembers to use a coaster. She is capable of having really good manners (and remembering to use them).

TerryJ2

Me too. I know my difficult child has some good qualities, somewhere.
Sorry, I'm in burn-out stage right now. He chest butted me last night because I had taken the TV cord after he had swiped it again.

:cigarsmoker:

TerryJ2

I thought up another one. He's got a good sense of humor. And cute dimples.

Also, he usually cools down after a good night's sleep. Right now he's reading. That's all he's been doing all day. Good thing, cuz he's grounded off of all electronics. But I haven't heard a negative word out of him. Whew!

(I realized that after getting the bad stuff off my chest, the good stuff comes along more easily. :) )

Jena

great idea, i just did this post like a week ago. it's important to remember the good helps get thru the bad.

her smile. it's warm and soft totally niave and speaks volumes about the type of heart she has

her strength she doesn't know it yet but she's very strong

her endless singing sometimes painful on ears yet fun to watch her light up when she does sing. :)

her ability to be empathic to ppl, older ppl, animals. granted this is all when she's in the right mode. yet when she is in that good place shes' sweet

her innocence

her creativity

her inteligence

sense of humor

shellyd67

THANKS FARMWIFE FOR STARTING THIS THREAD !

difficult child and I had a great day today so it is not so hard to find some endearing things to say about him:

I love his sense of humor ( we laughed til we cried today in the car)

I love how he plays and interacts with little kids

I love how he appreciates a good meal and especially if we have dessert

I love how he helps old people and holds doors for people

I love how mannerly he is, husband and I are constantly complimented on how mannerly our kids are

I love when he is in a silly mood

I love when he is happy

I love difficult child !

His love for his brothers. His good and very kind heart, sometimes too good. difficult child has compasion for all, making no judgements on anyone. difficult child loves fun. He gets along well with people and enjoys all he does. He smiles and is happy in general-(if we could get him to bathe, and to take some pride in his work we'd be on to something!)

Marguerite

Honesty. Loyalty. Affection. And once started on a project. he will keep at it to an intensely detailed level until it is complete. An eye for detail. Academically - gifted with maths and computers. Innately musical. Loves poetry (unusual for someone with autism). A lot of these qualities are an integral part of his autism, which is why he is relaxed and accepting of his diagnosis.

Marg

R

Raven21901

My difficult child daughters good qualities are church going person, always wanting to help someone. When she was in high school she had to fill 75 hours of community service for graduation. Her goal was to get 1000 hours. I think she ended up with 945 hours of community service. She was a straight A student all the way through school. During her high school years she never went out running around. Home did her homework in bed by 8 (her idea not mine) When she got out of high school is when she started experiencing problems as in people were after her. From what I see on her facebook page she is a church goer who is always working in the community helping others.

My difficult child son good qualities are would do anything for anyone. Never cheated on his girlfriend. (his dad has the cheating gene) When he got a job when he 17 up until he was 25 he held the same job and never missed a days work. When he lived with his girlfriends and her mother he helped the mother out by making sure the mother got to the grocery store and did the man chores around the house. The mother did not drive. I remember someone he lived with once that had farm. (adult age) He took it upon himself to do all the chores on the farm from cleaning the stalls and feeding the animals. They finally said he could stay but his girlfriend had to go. He left too because for some crazy reason loves this girl. Actually this girl looks and acts like his dads wife.

All in all my kids have wonderful traits, they have just lost their way and need to find themselves again.

I am happy they are happy that is one thing I can say.

DammitJanet

Cory is a great Dad. No one could love his little girl more except for us...lol. Her eyes just light up when she sees him.

He is also quite empathetic which is odd for a person with his disorders. He would give you the shirt off his back. He is also a very hard worker even though it hurts him immensely.

LittleDudesMom

Thoughtful, kind, and considerate.

Remorseful.

Great sense of humor.

Deep thinker.

Loving, affectionate, and caring.

Hot and Cold (could be good or bad!)

Hard worker.

Rule follower.

Soft spot in his heart.

Love that boy!

Sharon

idohope

Excellent with young children. They love her (and their parents love it)

Can always pick the perfect gift for me. ( I dont care about the gift in the material way. It is so special because she can see what makes me (or someone else) happy)

Great athlete but does not have the be the best, she is happy for others on her team when they do well.

Loves to read.

Loves animals

M

ML

Funny it's the same qualities that annoy me at times. His oversensitivity (like when the cat comes up to me and he starts to cry that the cat loves me more than him lol) can also manifest in ways that enable him to capture the essence of emotion in words. This child, like most of them I suppose, is filled with contradicting qualities and behaviors. Until Ritalin he could not sustain energy or focus but now I'm seeing the reults of him being able to do so. I love his laugh and the way he interprets the word. He also has a wicked sense of humor.

BusynMember

I have three kids who could have called difficult child's at one time, but you never heard about my grown son, so I'll skip him.

My autistic spectrum son L. is very honest, hardworking, loyal, sweet and funny. He is quirky, but everyone adores him.

My grown daughter who used to do drugs and gave me every gray hair on my head, is a sweet, loving and very intelligent young woman now. She has renounced drugs and has turned into a hardworking homebody who both works and goes full time to college.