IDEA Evaluation (Medicated or un-medicated?)

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I am wondering if it is best to have your child evaluated by the school district while they are being medicated for ADHD or not being medicated? I can see both sides to this. I just need some ideas and/or anyone's personal experience with this. Thanks in advance!

JJJ

If possible, I'd medicate him for the WISC-IV and have him unmedicated for everything else.

Although, Piglet was evaluated unmedicated (because we didn't know she was ADD yet) and once medicated, she didn't need the services anymore so they were weaned away from her. It was far easier to give up services than to add more on.

Calista

Have you asked the school district what they prefer? I asked ours and they said to have him medicated. They also gave me 2 of each of the rating tools they used and had me fill one out obsevring difficult child on medications and one off. I figure if medicated behaviors got him qualified for the evaluation then they need to see those behaviors and what has been done to help difficult child so far. They included the results from all of the scales, both medicated and not, in the final evaluation.