Ideas for snapping out of the hole

M

ML

I hate admitting this, but I'm seriously depressed. I haven't felt this bad (about myself and about my life) since the days before SSRIs. My psychiatrist has me on 150 Wellbutrin and 10 mg of Celexa (I can go up to 20 in a month if no improvement). But I'm still adjusting.

I hate feeling this way. I was looking for suggestions for pulling myself out of this hole until the medications can kick in. The one thing that usually works is to get out of myself and help someone else. Any others?

ML,

I think helping someone else is a great idea! There are lots of opportunities to volunteer in my area at senior centers, animal shelters, etc... I agree that stepping away from your problems and concentrating on helping someone else works wonders.

If you're able to exercise, it might help. It always makes me feel better, especially if I can get some fresh air and sunshine at the same time. Sometimes a long walk with my "favorite sanity saver" works wonders too. For me, just about anything I can do outside improves my mood.

Another thing that helps me is just being with a good friend, maybe going out for coffee, lunch, etc... and just talking. I've found that when I'm feeling really down, not isolating myself works wonders.

Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you feel better soon! Hugs... SFR

Mom2oddson

Sorry you are in the hole ML. It's not a fun place to be. I have a terrible time with any AD, all give me horrible side effects. The last one, that actually helped a lot with getting me out of the hole, messed up my blood pressure so bad.... there were 11 digits between the top and bottom number. Not good.

So I have to find other ways to deal with my depression. On way is exercise. When I'm down, I live on my treadmill. I spend at least an hour walking at 3mph speed. It wears me out, but I do feel better. Hope that helps a little.

april1974

I go through this and usually I think of others who have it so much worse than me, I try to look at the bright side the positive. But...I know that is hard, I'm struggling myself right now.
((((hugs))))

T

TeDo

I found that when I am at that point, I need to put a schedule on paper of everything I am going to do the NEXT day. I find that if I put it in writing, I'm more apt to do it and if I make the schedule a day or two ahead of time, I don't wake up in such a funk that I don't want to schedule anything. I include times to eat, shower, do yard work, make phone calls, exercise, volunteering, etc. I schedule myself from wake-up to good night. I don't leave any room for "stinkin thinkin". Hope this helps. I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I can relate all to well. Hope the medications help take the edge off.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
{{{{ML}}}} My friend, I am so sorry you're in the hole. As you know, I've been struggling for quite some time with this myself. I really love the ideas you've received so far.

Exercise definitely helps, even if it's just a simple walk around the block.

Chatting with a friend or neighbor.

Gardening with my hands in the dirt planting new sprouts always is uplifting to me.

Planning and making short lists - One for today, one for the week, this way if I don't get to some things I don't add to my depression by feeling badly about not getting to those items, Know what I mean??

Buy yourself flowers.

Take a walk through a garden nursery (if you like flowers, etc).

Plan a day trip with H or a friend and then do it.

Treat yourself to a mani/pedi.

Go to a Sephora without makeup and let them give you a makeover...could be fun. I did it this past weekend and I will tell you, I'd never done such a thing in all my life, but it was actually fun checking out different colors! I learned a lot.

Take out some sketching paper and pencils and go sketch a tree in your yeard.

Go feed the ducks at a local pond.

Think of how much time you may have to offer and contact local nursing homes or children's hospitals or VA homes to volunteer, if that's your thing. I think there is a website www.volunteer.com where you can find local volunteer opportunities to get involved with.

In the meantime, be gentle on yourself - big hugs to you ML, you've always been a little spot of sunshine for me here at CD!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I like to cook. In fact I LOVE to cook. But I get into a rut where I don't - because one, things have been crazy lately, and two, it didn't seem much appreciated.

But I like planning, too. I got so much done last night... And I have menus planned for DAYS. I almost never can do this. But M coming to our house has really energized me. Given all the other koi (not-baby, Onyxx)... I'm surprised and pleased.

What do YOU like to do?

Star*

call 911........call 911
1L

Well I am very glad to see that this time you came here and did not abandon me. Er...us. I don't know exactly what I like to do when I'm depressed. I think it is different every time because I'm not sure exactly what it is that depressed me each time I am depressed. It varies. I do know that sometimes I just want to be left alone to work it out in my head, relax and reflect. Other times? I think to myself 'Oh boy 2L's if you don't get out around people and mingle; you are going to sink further and further into this pit' - so I get up, get out and just go. Then there are other times that I swear to you if I had to be around one more single person I absolutely know I'd smack the knack out of them, over the dumbest stuff like scuffing shoes, popping gum, making that annoying throat clearing sound when antihistamines are being sold by the boatload on aisle 12, and I visualize rolling around on the floor of a department store like a seagull and a pelican fighting over a seabass on a beach. (got a visual on that? yeah - not so good.....although I have to say being anywhere near an ocean at times is caliming -except the part about the sand... sand in your shorts is never comfortable or calming.)

I wish I could tell you OH when I am upset I (insert activity here) and then I go do it and then you could try it. Because every activitity that I do like that would calm me? Costs money or I don't have access to it - and that depresses me more than bouts of depression. hahah.....ahem. I would love to be able to step out of my back door. But alas - the porch rotted years ago - and now I can't even do that....But If I could step out of my back door - in a different state? I'd step out of my back door - into a wilderness landscape - and go ride my horse, and stop somewhere and shoot something. Cans, or clay targets....or that annoying person in walmart going ahhhhheeeeem ahhhhhhhhhheeeem that won't go buy that gal danged antihistamine....OH hang on-----HERE TAKE this and go to that water fountain in the front of the bloody store will ya. SHEESH. (puts finger pistol back into holster) For the love of CHEETOS please stop making that noise or go away until I'm done shopping.

Anyway - whatever Step asked is what I was gonna ask - what do you like to do. That doesn't involve smacking people or shooting things or rolling around on the beach...in an ugly fashion. Maybe you need to figure out WHAT is making you so blue and get a different color. I hear Purple is all the rage this summer. You'd look good in purple. And then? You wouldn't be blue. Shades of violet......not blue.

Hugs & Love -

KTMom91

Well...since purple is all the rage this summer...

Purple toes. I'm serious. With flowers or little sparkly rhinestones. A pedicure always makes me feel better. I'm going tomorrow. It's been a bad week, my hand hurts (carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand), I'm ticked that I can't do what I usually do, Miss KT and Hubby are both being monstrous buttheads, and Hubby gave me the "I work so hard and nothing's done at home" speech yesterday...HELLO...I can barely pull up my own pants without help and you're complaining about the house?

Didn't mean to hijack...I do understand. Let me know how the pedicure went. Many hugs.

klmno

Plan something that you've been wanting to do - plan your summer vacation or look thru your local ads for something you like going on this weekend- maybe a music festival or something to excite you a little and then tell yourself you need to get ABC done before this weekend so you can go. It's actually the getting up and getting things accomplished that usually makes me feel better but I view the "event" I want to go to as the reward. :) At least this usually helps. Or, do you like to plant flowers or paint a picture?

Star*

call 911........call 911
KT Mom STARTED IT - with her purple toes-----and I went out and got MY bottle.....and now I have purple toes. Empowers you....especially when you just wanna grab some throat clearing nincompoop in WM and drag him over to the antihistamine aisle #12 and say LOOK, LOOK at ALL THESE BLOODY CHOICES for your ridiculous, annoying, noisy, irritating, throat noises. Now shut up and peel a blister pack before I plant my purple maincured toes in your 'ahjhhhhhheeeeeem" sounding butt.
FOR THE LOVE OF Sam Walton will you just buy a package, and leave the store. OH lookey! Ear plugs! (and I was out! So I bought some of those) And more purple nail polish.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Besties! Me and Di - (like that -----) makes fingers crossed....:queen:(that is a lie) lol

M

ML

I love you guys. Thank you for the great suggestions. I think I will try doing more things I enjoy this weekend. Less cleaning and more walks in the mountains and meeting friends for coffee.

Truly, your support made my day. Star your humor and wisdom are such a gift and I value them so much.

Guess what color my toenails are? Bright purple! I must be doing *some* things right!

april1974

Purple toes Rock! I have metalic purple toes, they are a cross b/w hot pink & purple not sure what you would call it, but that is the best thing about flip flop season is painting the toes!:beach:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend earplugs - and mine are PURPLE to match my toes.....if you go to WM - to avoid planting your feet in anyones annoying anything. HONESTLY!!! You would think with ALL those choices - a virtual AISLE AND a pharmacist RIGHT THERE (points to three counters no waiting) that you could figure out post nasal drip and get yourself SOMETHING, rather than making that ahet ahet ahet ahet ahet ahet ahet ahet ahemmmmmmmmmmmmmm noise. You're RIGHT there ----Zyrtec, Neosinephrine, Klenex, take your pick. Oh and what was even better? He had a kid with him that had on sandals, wtih socks and the kid was scuffing his feet along everywhere. (I mean at the height of my sensory overload) all I needed was him to have a daughter that was either popping gum, or ratting a chip bag and we had the makings of an Agatha Christie book..........

Ms. Star, in the shoe department with a package of ALways........(cause I would have lobbed that bugger like a softball and taken my chances of explaining how it 'slipped' out of my hand) UGH. OH lookey! Time for another AD! :whoopdedoo: