In school TWO minutes

DammitJanet

Kathy...I think High School is harder than the younger grades where a parent could effectively supply a teacher with extra supplies and it not be a big deal.

In HS maybe there could be more of a buddy system in place. I really dont know because Cory never got that far without an aide who made sure he was prepared. Supplies werent our biggest issue...lol. I wish it was. If the child was motivated enough to quietly go to the teacher and just say...I forgot, then it would be one thing. Of course maybe in HS you could request a 12 pack or a 24 pack of pencils at the start of the year from all students too. Just a thought.

klmno

This has been a very useful thread. My son has had big issues the past year (6th grade) with supplies and keeping up with other things. I wouldn't have a problem with the supply kit for each class- I think it's a great idea and sure beats being sent out of the class because he forgot a pencil-AGAIN. As far as special treatment- several of my difficult child's classes were collaborative (with an aid) and regardless of how it's supposed to be- every other child and parent in the class knew which kids had this. They all had to sit together and were treated as a sub-group. As far as other parents screaming- teachers could tell them that they could provide supply kits for their kids if they want- who cares. If that many kids need this in 6th and 7th grade, maybe that should be interpreted as another message.

Kathy813

Staff member
They had to sit together? Talk about being stigmatized.

My team teacher and I go out of our way to make sure that there is no differentiation between Special Education and regular ed students. We also sat our two Asperger's students in a way that they are situated with the rest of the class but made sure that their parapro has easy access to them. He checks on them regularly but doesn't make them sit next to him. Both my team teacher and I walk around the room and help all of the students whether they are reg ed or Special Education.

That does lead to problems when making accommodations like extra time on tests. Again, it becomes and issue of "why does he get extra time and I don't?" We have solved that problem for now by taking the tests or quizzes to a Special Education teacher or resource teacher that the students have later in the day and have them finish the assessments there. That way it is not so noticeable to the other students.

Janet ~ You are right. It would be much harder for me to keep a "special" supply box in a high school setting. I could theorectically have 150 boxes which would be a logistical nightmare. Not to mention that I don't have time to hand out pencils everyday. Also, difficult child or not, Special Education or not, I firmly believe there comes a point where the student needs to be held accountable.

Eventually, even difficult children will have to hold down a job and no one will be willing to baby them or keep up with their things for them.

Just my opinion.

~Kathy