Interesting photo

Abbey

Spork Queen
I love photography. I like to 'capture the moment', not stage something. I did my early morning shift, then decided to go to a museum here. They had a photography display. Oddly enough, you could not take photographs of the photography display.

I digress.

On my way out I stumbled across the oldest grave yard in this city. I wandered around for a bit and found this grave site. I just had to take a photo and let others decide what it means. I know what it means to me.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm a weird person. I like to look at old tombstones.......the older the better. Ummm, kinda goes along with the old buildings thing I have.....also the older the better. The old really ornate tombstones are facinating.

But unless you're getting a meaning out of the name............uh, nope. I got nuthin. But then I'm not very creative at the moment. lol

donna723

It's showing up now. It's a neat picture but I don't really get any 'meaning' out of it either ... explain please.

I LOVE looking at old graveyards too! The old community graveyard where my parents are buried has some graves dating back to before the civil war, a few even back to the early 1800's! Some of them are really fascinating. There's several very old cemeteries in our county. It really makes you think ... there's lots of graves of very young women who probably died in childbirth, and some are the women and their baby, and lots of graves of children. They probably died of things that a few doses of antibiotics would cure now!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Thanks a lot! It's 12:24 AM and I can't sleep 'cause I love a good challenge!!!
AAAARRRGHHH! Does it have something to do with music?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm the man in the box.....

Okay here's the thing - first of all David J. Evans was not 70 years old as the tombstone says - naught ah...

Ready?

David J. Evans was born in Wales England. So were most of his family except for his Grandfather who was born in Ireland. His Grandmother and his wife both share the same name - Margaret. Lovely.

The birth year on his tombstone is incorrect. David Evans of Wales also from Oshkosh was born in 1835 - and was a Farmer. But David J. Evans of Oshkosh was a Carpenter. The man in the box below your tombstone was a carpenter. His Grandparents are buried in Sheboygan over at the Wildewood cemetery - Grandfather named Robert Evans and from some wild named Irish town. Grandmother Margaret Married some dude named William Long. He was born 9th Aug. 1839. (cradle robber) didn't give his death date - but Grandma was born 28 Dec. 1816 and Died 10 Nov. 1904 - WOW. 88 years old. I think this was a grandmother...maybe an aunt.

Okay now his Father - DAVID Evans - was a Captain in the revenue service - when they did the census - David Sr. was 62 and David J was 45.

Now if you are in the Greenlake cemetery I am very jealous. It was on the most haunted places not too long ago. There's a tomb in there that has the word CHIEF on it. Supposedly (according to the legend) if you sit on the tomb a spirit will push you off and the tomb will crack and you will see a ghostly apparition and lights. Also in the oldest part of the cemetery you supposedly will see and hear ghosts and kids and it's just not the place to be according to local kids. Personally I feel more at home in a cemetery than any where else. Grew up next to one of the largest Catholic cemeterys in the state. To me it's a peaceful place and can't say I've ever been "pushed" out - lol. But - would love to try the Green Lake CHIEF tomb. Maybe that's not this place - but that's supposedly one of the most haunted in WI.

So - anyway - whatver the connection is - Maybe David is trying to tell you that the year is wrong - lol. Maybe the leave was supposed to fall over the date? Dunno - But curious - is his wife burried near?

Neat photo....You could actually take photos like I do for a historical society and catalog them for people doing geneology - it's very stress relieving.

Cool Abbers......Find the tombstone with the angel - take that picture.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Wow. You guys are amazing. I took it simply as the death of a leaf fallen upon the death of some unknown person. There were TONS of leaves surrounding the grave site, but only this one laid to rest on the marker.

Starby - you'd make a great detective. :)

Yes, Andy...I kept the color of the leaf, then black and whited the rest of the photo. I like fiddling around with graphics.

If you're REALLY bored, here are the other photos I took on my venture. I toured the Paine Art Museum (very interesting history - built this magnificent house on slave labor then were afraid to live in it because the locals threatened to burn it down because they were such jerks) yesterday as they had a photography display. Oddly enough, you were not allowed to take pictures of a photography display. I'm working on a few of these, my favorite being the lily photo on the second page. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/Abbey888/Paine/

This is one, Andy, that I'm trying to do the same technique. Very painstaking, though.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/Abbey888/Paine/Paine015.jpg

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey, you've got talent with a camera. :D

I enjoyed those pics of the tombstones........OMG I'd have loved to visit that cemetary in person!!

The purple flower one is cool..........are you planning to single out the bee?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Abbers - I need the one of the gate without the umbrella.....Collect pictures of gates for my office. :D

WEll go back and GIT IT.

I got the symbolism - but I know you-----and the leaf isnt quite dead yet...until it's decayed and back into soil. :tongue:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yes, the plan is to black and white the photo and have only one flower with the bee in color. We'll see if I have energy for that this afternoon. Just got off of work. Ugh. 3am comes early.

The cemetary is huge. I only went through a fraction of it. I want to do something with the large tombstones, just don't know what yet.

Star - the gate was beautiful. I tried to just get the gate and not the surrounding buildings. I'll see what I can do.

The whole grounds were amazing. I had a beautiful monarch butterfly follow me the whole time but I couldn't get the bugger to sit still to get a picture.

Abbers

Mattsmom277

Wonderful pictures Abby! I have seen some lovely photography lately and I am going to be asking Santa for a new digital camera this year. I lost (or had stolen) my good one. I now have a inexpensive one that is fine for day to day things in a pinch but doesn't have many options on it and I don't enjoy using it. I'm no good with photography but I am inspired more and more by seeing pictures like the ones you've taken. I'm considering taking a beginners photography course since I'm finding it really lonely at home during the day. Thanks for the inspiration!!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I love them! I love photography.
I wish I had more frames I would have pictures hanging on every wall.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Aw, Starbie made me cry. But, I love living in make believe world and that sounds just lovely. Rock was following me around. :)

Mattsmom - I have tons of very nice cameras, but I prefer my simple digital. They are cameras of the moment. No focusing, no aperature settings...just click. If you want a staged photo, then you can bring out the big dogs.

My friends know that I am always armed. ;)

I love the lily photo. Don't think I'm going to do anything to it.

Abbey

donna723

Those are great pictures, Abbey. I really like the water lilies too.

Our little town actually has an historic cemetery tour that they do sometimes - you ride around in little buses and visit 5 or 6 different small country cemeteries. Some of these go waaaay back. The unofficial tour guide is an 80 year old woman who runs the geneology section of the library.

The one my parents are buried in has some really interesting old tombstones and sometimes they make you wish the you knew "the rest of the story"! One group of three graves dates back to the mid-1800's. In the middle is a man who died in his 70's. To his right is what was obviously the first wife because she was the same age as the man but she died at age 50. On his left side is wife #2 and a baby! Wife #2 was in her early 20's and apparently died in childbirth ... only seven months after the death of wife #1! We had a lot of fun making up possible stories about this one! Did the old guy go right from the funeral of #1 to his wedding with #2? Did he already have #2 on the string, knowing that #1 wasn't long for this world? Or maybe he and #2 knocked off #1 so they could be married (she was pregnant) - only to have #2 also die, along with her baby, in just a few short months? Sounds like a 150 year old soap opera!