IPhone question (and accessories)

Mattsmom277

S/O and I have joined the new world and have finally got cell phones.

He bought us iPhone's yesterday and we chose a family plan that covers all of our needs. Once easy child gets a magic jack phone for Xmas we will get rid of the land line.

Any iPhone tips? Any features that stand out? It will take time to master it all but tips would be cool.

Ive been using a iPod touch so have some apps but with the iPhone im betting we will both be hunting apps so suggestions would be great.

What about accessories? We bought those stick on protective clear skins and then each got cases for protection. I always see walls full of accessories but haven't ever checked them out. Any good ones? Fun ones? Practical ones? What about those charging mats you can lay several devices on at once? Are they worth it?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have the rubber case-I drop my phone constantly-and the screen shield. There are all sorts of fun games and apps. My favorite apps are: IMDb (movies), Fruit Ninja, MPR(drugs), Shazam (this app listens to a song on the radio and tells you the title and artist), Facebook, Trip Advisor, Groupon, Dictionary, Living Social, Pandora, Language Translator, a local weather/news station, an advanced camera app called CP Pro but if you have the G4 you don't need it, Web MD, Angry Birds, All Recipes, Shanghai Lite, Huffington Post, and a bunch of others. Have fun with it!

I use the calendar for everything and it really keeps me on track with appts, etc. I also use the alarm, it's awesome. And the iPod, which is fabulous. I don't even remember what it was like before I had the iPhone, really, I love it!

witzend

Definitely a case, and don't let hubby put it in his back pocket. He'll sit on it and crack it. You'll have to tell me how the Magic Jack works out. I'm dying to get rid of our land line, and our cable/internet/phone contract ends in December, as does our cell contract. So I will be on the lookout for new services all the way around, but I don't actually want to give up on my home handsets.

keista

No clue about iphones, but remember that with the magic jack, the easy child must be on ALL the time or you don't have phone service. I was considering that, but my easy child won't restart itself if there's a power blip, and we have LOTS of them.

DammitJanet

I dont have th iPhone but I do have a smartphone that is similar. I now have the Evo. It is android based and has all the bells and whistles. You definitely need the rubber cases and the film to put on the front of the screen. It helps keep scratches off. I love the apps you can get now. Who knew years ago that one of the most used phrases now would be "I have an app for that!" LOL.

Mattsmom277

We both got cases and screen protectors.

Magic jack now has magic jack plus. If you have high speed Internet you can plug a adapter into any wall outlet and then plug phones into them. They bypass plugging into a computer which is why I am going
To get one for easy child. I'll let you know how it works but reviews from users are excellent

Mattsmom277

Apparently there were some lag issues with the regular MJ but not a problem with the plus version. It is $70 to start and includes a year of service complete with all calling features including call answer. It makes free calls to the US and Canada. You can take it with you when traveling and if you send one to a relative internationally it is free to call them or them to call you in the US and Canada because it is free worldwide calls from one MJ to another. You can also keep your home phone number if you wish. It is $30 a year after the first year. Great gadget for teens and college kids too. The ability to take it with you on different locations is great.

Steely

I LOVE my iphone....but I am still not into the apps like I want to be. My Uncles have an app for every single thing under the sun - it is kinda humorous if it wasn't annoying. They were in my backyard identifying trees with some tree app on their iphones - I was like - really???? LOL

I actually gave up a landline when I moved to AZ because I was so rural, and the landlines were outrageously expensive. Since then, both Matt and I just have cell phones - and that is all we need. When my mom comes up to visit, she too, just has a cell phone.

DammitJanet

Oh, one thing I want to advise, make sure you do get the screen protectors and cases. Look on Amazon and compare. I was considering an Otterbox for mine but now am not too sure. May get a different one that comes in pink and black. You want to get a cover that will keep the phone safe from scratches, drops and any silt or dust or possible moisture that could turn up.

Mattsmom277

Janet, we bought good screen protectors and phone cases before we left the mall. $600 phones were worth the extra to keep them safe for sure!