It never seems to end

Wiped Out

Staff member
husband called to say instead of a one day suspension they are making it a two day suspension. I am really angry. Due to husband working at that school we know of other students who do the same and worse and aren't suspended. It seems to be this particular set of spec. ed. teachers that are pushing for his suspensions. Apparently they don't think difficult child is getting it! :hammer:geez do ya think? :hammer: It's part of his lack of impulse control-if he hasn't learned yet another day is going to help? That brings the total of out of school suspensions to 6 1/2 for the year. I was doing some reading and it seems that some in school suspensions count towards the 10 days in a year. If that is the case it is possible we will be at a manifistation determination (if we push for it)in which case they will have to determine this behavior is part of his disability (I'm not excusing it-just saying it comes into play). If that happens they will not be able to suspend him any more this year. I'm just not sure yet if the inschool suspensions count-I was unclear when reading the law.

Now either husband or I have to take another day off. I have two new visiting students from another country starting tomorrow so I would like to be there. on the other hand husband is down to only 1 day left that he can take so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. (husband just called while I was typing this-he is going to use his day.)

Today was not a ton of fun because difficult child hates when I make him do worksheets-overall he was a trooper (although a very distracted one).

oceans

I think that it is out of school suspensions that count toward the 10 days, and from what happened to me I gather that for it to be considered out of placement the suspensions need to be rather close together.

I hope you can get his behavior plan changed so that this will stop happening....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

Will psychiatrist & neuropsychologist chime in on this? I know that our psychiatrist had a real impact on Special Education services (especially transportation for the tweedles).

Our psychiatrist, therapist & neuropsychologist's were willing to go out on a limb & contact SD. They all wrote letters to SD as well - psychiatrist & neuropsychologist especially were well versed in the IEP/suspension laws.

It made a much bigger impact on wm to have an in school suspension - he didn't get to have recess or gym with his peers; ate lunch with an aide, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sorry that we're talking a second day. It sounds like spec. ed staff are just plain end of the year worn out & simply not applying themselves anymore.

(((Hugs)))

lordhelpme

i was under the impression in school suspension count. anytime they are in a situation that keeps them from fape as punishment.

it kills me cuz most of what i have read by experts is that a suspension just leads to giving some difficult children what they want, out of school. it does nothing to solve the problem and for sp ed teachers to be the ones it just sounds like they wanted time off. well let them use their sick days if they need a break!

Wiped Out

Staff member
This is what I found regarding the in school suspension:

Are "in-school suspensions" or other in-school disciplinary measures considered when determining whether the child has been removed from school for ten cumulative school days during a school year?

In-school removals from class must be considered a removal unless the child has the opportunity:

* to continue to participate in the general curriculum;
* to receive the services specified in his or her IEP; and
* to participate with nondisabled children to the extent he or she would have in the current placement.

I'm just not sure if it will count for him and how many in school suspensions he's actually had. I do know that here it is 10 days the entire year-doesn't matter how far apart.

Funny you should mention having pdco or neuropsychologist writing something-husband just mentioned that he is planning on calling the psychiatrist tomorrow. He does hate inschool suspensions much more-not that he likes the ones at home either but it's harder when he can't go out with his peers.

slsh

member since 1999
Sharon,

I feel your frustration - OSS doesn't do a doggone thing other than give the teachers a break from difficult child, in my humble opinion. It's not punitive to a difficult child, and it certainly isn't going to promote change.

Whenever thank you got an OSS, we actually had a manifestation determination mtg each and every time, and we also went over the BIP as well as placement in general (this was before he hit the 10-day mark). While I'm loathe to say *anything* positive about the state of sped in IL (tho' I think this perhaps was a district policy rather than statewide), this approach makes a whole lot more sense - why wait until you've hit the 10-day mark and *then* try and figure out if it's a manifestation of his disability.

I know you're in the midst of IEP mtgs on difficult child. I think this OSS practice needs to be strongly addressed. It's not accomplishing anything practical for difficult child - he's not going to quit acting out because of the threat of OSS because he's acting out because he's an impulsive difficult child. It's part of the picture. If staff cannot handle his lashing out... perhaps placement needs to be looked at? I don't know what your options are in terms of placement but... OSS is just pointless for your kiddo, from where I'm sitting.

I'd make one heck of an argument for the ISS to count towards the 10 days. Force their hand to provide better supports (like maybe that 1:1 they keep saying they "don't do" - blech).

I'm really sorry you're going thru this. Impulsiveness is not something that can be dealt with- through disciplinary measures, as you well know, and as they *should* know. Hang in there.