Just found out my difficult child is Hep C positive :(

amys3yungins

Anybody else have this going on with their kid? He is 22. I hate that happened to him!! Anyone else have this experience and if so how is their health with it?
Thanks,
amys3yungins

Scent of Cedar *

I haven't had anyone come up with that one yet, Amy. I have been out of the field for so long that I cannot provide much accurate clinical information for you. I wanted you to know one of us had read your posting. I am sure others of us will be along soon, Amy.

Amy, I am so sorry.

He is very young.

I think the prognosis is good with proper care and diet. As I said though Amy, I have been out of the field for a long time, and do not have access to the latest information.

Cedar

busywend

I don't think that one has come up here before. Although sounds like it is usually not detected for some time as there are often no symptoms. How was he diagnosed?

Scent of Cedar *

I believe Hep C is diagnosed through a blood test.

Cedar

Amy, the Mayo Clinic website will contain information for you. Just google Mayo Clinic. Or, Cleveland Clinic. Both sites contain excellent reference material. It is always best to prepare ourselves to the best of our ability to do that.

How are you, Amy?

mykidzmom

My difficult child addict daughter learned she had Hep C when she was in rehab, at the age of 25. She was given instructions (which she did not follow) for prolonging her health: healthy diet, stop smoking, stop abusing drugs, regular blood testing. She died of a drug overdose 2 1/2 years after her diagnosis. Her autopsy showed that she already had some chronic liver damage, which I can only assume was caused by the Hep C and the abuse she put her body through. I do know that it is possible to live a long and healthy life with Hep C if the patient strictly follows the doctor's orders. My difficult child daughter's former mother in law has had Hep C for about 30 years and is just now showing signs of illness from it because she has lived a healthy lifestyle. I know you can Google Hep C Forums and find others living with the disease who can give you advice. I am so sorry you have this to deal with, along with everything else loving an addict brings into our lives.

SeekingStrength

Remember Wynona Judd? She has Hepatitis C.

While that is not medical info that will help, it might be inspirational....plenty to Google about how well she lives despite the disease.

My mom was diagnosed with Hepatitis B about 20 years ago....they think through blood she received during surgery on an arm. She has days where she is very, very tired but has lived a good life and feels fine most of the time. I remember the dr saying NO alcohol because her liver could not take it.

Please keep us posted. The more information you get from her doctors, the better. Googling medical info can be so scary. I know this from personal experience.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

SeekingStrength

P.S.---hope it is clear i meant Googling is not best idea--but not checking credible sites, i.e.such as mentioned by Cedar. I know you know better, but want to make sure my post was not misleading. Many years ago, our daughter was diagnosed with a serious blood disorder and i drove myself nuts by Googling and not sticking with bona fide medical advice/sites.

amys3yungins

Thanks for the replies! Actually what I have read so far is encouraging. Apparently the initial screening is an ELISA test which has a 40% false positive accuracy. The next blood test to be ordered is a RIBA test and it is more accurate. 15-25% of people infected with Hep C clear it from their bodies on their own although this is not uderstood. My hope is that it is a false positive. It was very barely positive as it was a low number score on the titer. 1 point into the positive range. He was diagnosed with Mono on January 1 this year and this affects the liver function test studies as well. Anyhow, he has a doctor appointment in a couple of weeks to continue to the next steps.
amys3yungins

amys3yungins

:triumphant: difficult child's test results back from more blood work he had done last week.....NEGATIVE PRAISE GOD!! All praise to God for this result. He is in a recovery center and doing very well. I just hated for him to have to face going through the treatment for this. Thank God for answered prayers!