Keep a good thought for Duckie tonight

tiredmommy

husband just took her to a friend's house to give her a going away gift. The friend, Z, is moving to Phoenix on 30th. It quite possible that tomorrow could be the last time the see each other for a very long time.

Duckie had me frame a photo of the two of them and we filled a small photo album with pictures so Z has something to remember Duckie by.

I'm crying as I write this... Z's leaving will be very hard on Duckie. Z is the girl that stepped up and really became a good friend to Duckie when she was being bullied. They just clicked.

:(

klmno

Oh, how hard! Remember to tell Duckie that they can write each other- I'm sure you'll help her if she needs it, TM!

tiredmommy

Thanks, K. We got a new webcam and will be downloading skype so the girls can talk face-to-face, plus her mom and I are facebook friends so we can exchange lots of pics, etc.

klmno

Oh that will be great! I had a long distance friend after my family moved. It actually was better in some ways because we could talk to each other about all kinds of stuff as we grew up and never had to worry about the things we would have worried about if we'd still been going to school together, or ended up liking the same boy, etc. I know Duckie has some time to go before she gets to that point, but they really could end up staying friends for years to come- especially if you and her mother stay in touch. I loved it because if I'd had a horrible week at school or something, I always knew I had a friend somewhere else and sometimes my mom would let me call her and I'd feel all better!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Duckie,

Sometimes for the strangest reasons we have people come into our lives for a short time, and then others stay for a very long time. When good friends come into our lives for a short time I like to think that we each learned the best things we could from each other so very well that we will never forget it. Doesn't mean that it's not going to hurt when they leave, because it will, but remembering all the great things about her and her about you should make each one of you smile every time you think about each other. I had a friend like that once and we said to each other; before we parted company that every time we saw a yellow butterfly it was one coming to check on the other.

Maybe you and your friend can think of something together that you can remember each other with. It could be something like every time you hear a bell, or see a leaf fall, or whatever you two choose. Make it silly,funny, or beautiful.

I know this move is difficult for you both. I hope you find a fun way to think of each other in the coming months.

Much Love
Auntie Star

M

ML

Aww, I'm sorry Duckie. The good news is nowadays with webcams and internet they have a better chance than ever to keep connected. Hugs, ML

trinityroyal

Keeping a good thought for Duckie as well. I think it's great that you'll let them use Skype to keep in touch. And the Facebook updates are a great idea as well.

Sending many hugs,
Trinity

Fran

Former desparate mom
Poor Duckie. It's tough to lose a friend from your life early on.
I lost my very best friend at 5yrs old. She moved to a "better school district and much better neighborhood". I really missed her more that I can ever express. I still thought of her as my best friend when I would run into her. She evidently had moved on. It's always harder on the person who is "left".

Hopefully they can stay connected with all the modern technology.