Laptop is failing...thinking of replacing it with a tablet but which one?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Let me say it right off....I'm not an apple ipad fan. Okay, got that out of my system.

I'm debating between the Toshiba Thrive & the Asus Iconia. Various reasons have drawn me to those two.

I'd like to know your experiences with tablets, the brands ~ pro & con. I am looking for more portability & don't know if I should go with a netbook

Opinions, comments???

Steely

Well, I am not familiar with the 2 you mentioned - but the problem that I have found with these tablets is that they are hard to type on. At least the ones I have tried - the keys are all touch sensitive, unlike a keyboard, which I find slows down the typing process a lot. If this is going to be your only source of a computer, I would try to find one that has the capability for an optional plug in keyboard.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have the original iPad and I love it! My brother in law has the iPad II and now I wish I had waited to get one of those but I was impatient. Steelys idea about the portable keyboard is a good one!

skeeter

we have a Blackberry playbook (because we both have Blackberry's (ies - what's the plural?). I agree that an external keyboard would be nice, hopefully it will be available soon. We can use ours to "tether" to our phones for calendars, documents, photos, etc. And we can tether where there isn't internet access and the phone will work as a modem (slowly, but it does work).
The Blackberry is NOT a gaming device, although there are game apps available. But it does what we need.

DammitJanet

I had a smaller netbook computer that I was pretty happy with but someone stole it out of my car. Yeah I was dumb and left it visible in my car and thought my doors were locked but forgot that I left my back door unlocked.

It just looked like a very small notebook computer. I am afraid of a tablet because it is all touch pad and I have enough trouble with my touch phones. I think I have some sort of metallic imbalance in my body because I can have problems getting my touch phone to perform for me. It wont slide, sometimes I cant get it to answer for me, I cant get the screens to change from one to the other...it is annoying!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am afraid of a tablet because it is all touch pad and I have enough trouble with my touch phones. I think I have some sort of metallic imbalance in my body because I can have problems getting my touch phone to perform for me. It wont slide, sometimes I cant get it to answer for me, I cant get the screens to change from one to the other...it is annoying!
H has the same issues on my iPhone and iPad-he simply is not a touch pad kinda guy!

DammitJanet

I also have this fear of scratches. My ereader also has a scratch on it. I was stupid enough to get a screen protector for it because they didnt have one big enough for it at walmart and I didnt order one off the internet. They didnt carry one right away at radio shack at xmas either. They do now but I think my scratch happened sooner. I didnt get a case for about 6 months either and carried it in my purse and scratched it in there. Stupid of me.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Janet, you bring up some good points ~ I struggle with some of my fine motor skills yet.

I appreciate all of your input & reviews. JJJ, I've looked at the Dell you mentioned & am considering it as well. I may just purchase a netbook for when I travel & am out at meetings instead. I hear that they are light & easy to transport (more so than the laptop I currently own). I just want to take it out of my bag & have it run. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'll let you all know as I'm going out tomorrow to check out the machines in person.