Looking for vacuum cleaner recommendations - less than $100 please(gulp)

ctmom05

I am looking for a vacuum that has decent suction power. We have wood floors AND rooms with carpet in them. Having a dog in the house means we have pet hair to contend with.

I have a limited budget and would appreciate hearing from folks who can speak from personal experience about a vacuum that they have used themselves.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm sorry to say that I don't of a vacuum under 100.00 but I have 2 very large, very hairy puppies. I got a reconditioned Dyson Ball vacuum. It's light and very easy to manuever. It's not new and the price reflects that but it's factory reconditioned.
I love it.
I'm sure there are other good vacuum's but I find dog hair needs a pretty strong suction.

F

flutterbee

You can find some Hoover's and Eureka's for under $100. I'd stay away from Dirt Devil. I had best luck with Eureka, but watch the design. One I had, even though it was an upright, it svcked everything up and went through the attachment hose into the bag. It was always getting clogged and we'd have to take it apart and put the broom handle through the hose.

12-16 amps should work pretty well and you can find them under $100 at Walmart.

mom_in_training

I have a Bissell (12 amps) That I bought at Walmart for under $100.00. I have never had any problems with it at all and it has good suction. I have tried the bagless kind like hoover and other brands and did not like the canister idea at all along with the ongoing cost of having to keep up with the filters (Can get expensive). The Bissell I have uses the bags and I'm cool with that.

N

Nomad

I have a related suggestion. We just bought a shark vacuum that comes with a charger, so there is no plugging and uplugging. This is NOT for regular vacuuming by any means. HOWEVER, I have two dogs and I LOVE this thing because I can quickly vacuum up dog hairs from the floors and rugs in two seconds. Then, once or twice a week take out the regular vacuum and clearn more thoroughly. I am vacuuming with this thing super quick and then mopping with my swiffer thing...I am bordering on obsessed...a frequent cleaning whirlwind. Believe me...this is NOT NORMALLY my favorite thing to do. However, for a long time I was forlorn at how my two dogs were making constant messes and how long it took to clean them. These products make everything a snap (quick and easy) and these days my house always looks fresh. I like that someone can drop by anytime and it always looks nice. And if the dogs happen to make a mess...in five minutes I can make it "go away."

As far as a regular cleaner...that one Fran has sounds super and one of these days I might check into something like that. Right now I think I have a Dirt Devil. I simply bought it caused I liked the attachments. I tend to buy a new vacuum every other year. In the end, I might be better off buying a better quality one. Anyway, the one I have now cleans well enough, the attachments are easy to use and it is easy to empty. I bought it on sale...and I think it was less than $100.00.

Last edited:

donna723

I have a Bissell upright that I bought for about $80 and it works just fine. I only have a small dining room and the living room and furniture to do though. I only have one dog that sheds a lot and this gets it up fine. She has that fuzzy undercoat that goes flying everywhere. Fortunately, the carpet and the dog are almost the same color - it blends right in! The vacuum I have doesn't use bags either. It has a clear container in it that you just take out, dump, and then put back in. It does very well in this small area but I don't know how it would do in a larger place with a lot of carpet. I've seen some reconditioned ones of the more powerful expensive models - if I had a lot to do I'd probably go with one of them.

witzend

If you go to a vacuum cleaner store, they will sell you a refurbished expensive vacuum for much less than you would pay new. I got an Oreck for about $80 that way. It works like a charm.

susiestar

Roll With It
For dry uncarpeted areas I love my Dirt Devil Brom Vac. I usually sweep and then pick up with the dustpan.. Then there is all the stuff left that the dustpan can't get. the dirt devil gets this in just a sec. NO cord to mess with, takes half a sec, and is AWESOME.

I also have a bagless Bissel. I LOVE it, though I do have to wash the filters frequently. I only replace the filters every year or so - if you wash them and let them air dry frequently they work great.

it also helps HUGELY to comb the dogs frequently. i comb my cats daily and it makes a huge difference.

SRL

No need to gulp at the price limit. I have an $800 Miele and I hate it. It does clean pretty well, but everything else about it *****.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I went to school to use/fix Oreks. I like them okay - not under $100....

UNTIL I GOT

a Bissell bagless - it's HANDS DOWN the best vacuum I've ever owned under 100.00 I think mine is the Clear View II- http://www.bissell.com/Products/c/uprightvacuum/p/CV+II/product.aspx

the bucket pops out and dumps - literally can do that one hand
the filters (seven) some you can wash, some you can blow out, some like the Hepa have to be replaced once a year or so - kinda spendy -but SEVEN filters, 3 dogs, 3 men in and out and sand yard? Very hard working
The attachments are GENIUS - they fit inside each other and are Handy - like a woman designed it.....or a man that cleans a LOT...snicker
Except for vaulted ceilings - and no more than 2 extensions - I think this is PHENOMINAL -

I even wrote them and told them it's the 1st Bissel I had anything good to say about - and would recommend it. And now I have.

SRL

IThe attachments are GENIUS - they fit inside each other and are Handy - like a woman designed it.....or a man that cleans a LOT...snicker
Except for vaulted ceilings - and no more than 2 extensions - I think this is PHENOMINAL -

The fit of the attachments is one of my biggest complaints with my Miele. They fit inside the compartment so particularly like it was designed by a man who took 4 hours to pack a car trunk for vacation. Big pain to get them in and out when my other one was a breeze.

Second complaint is that the hose is much shorter than my old vacuum--doesn't make it to the top ofdoorways unless I pick it up or add attachements...which means disconnecting the powerhead.

Star*

call 911........call 911
My girlfriend used my bissell in myhome and said "OMG I think a woman designed this - AND my Honda CRV." - all the little gadgety things are in short arms reach for her. lol.

ROFLMAO - a man that packed? Or a man that packed for 4 hours. Do not know which is more of a humorous vision.