McDonald's Fries contain wheat and dairy

cmdh

Thought I would share

McDonald's: Fries Have Potential Allergens By DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer
Tue Feb 14, 9:34 AM ET

CHICAGO - Not long after disclosing that its french fries contain more trans fat than thought, McDonald's Corp. said Monday that wheat and dairy ingredients are used to flavor the popular menu item €” an acknowledgment it had not previously made.

The presence of those substances can cause allergic or other medical reactions in food-sensitive consumers.

McDonald's had said until recently that its fries were free of gluten and milk or wheat allergens and safe to eat for those with dietary issues related to the consumption of dairy items. But the fast-food company quietly added "Contains wheat and milk ingredients" this month to the french fries listing on its Web site. :mad:

The company said the move came in response to new rules by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the packaged foods industry, including one requiring that the presence of common allergens such as milk, eggs, wheat, fish or peanuts be reported. As a restaurant operator, Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's does not have to comply but is doing so voluntarily.

McDonald's director of global nutrition, Cathy Kapica, said its potato suppliers remove all wheat and dairy proteins, such as gluten, which can cause allergic reactions. But the flavoring agent in the cooking oil is a derivative of wheat and dairy ingredients, and the company decided to note their presence because of the FDA's stipulation that potential allergens be disclosed.

"We knew there were always wheat and dairy derivatives in there, but they were not the protein component," she said. "Technically there are no allergens in there. What this is an example of is science evolving" and McDonald's responding as more is learned, she said.

While the company wanted to make consumers aware that fries were derived in part from wheat and dairy sources, she said, those who have eaten the product without problem should be able to continue to do so without incident.

The acknowledgment has stirred anger and some concern among consumers who are on gluten-free diets since it was posted on McDonald's Web site.

"If they're saying there's wheat and dairy derivatives in the oil, as far as anyone with this disease is concerned there's actually wheat in it," said New York resident Jillian Williams, one of more than 2 million Americans with celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder triggered by gluten.

"They should have disclosed that all along," she said. "They should never have been calling them gluten-free."

It's not the first time McDonald's forthrightness has been called into question concerning what's in its famous fries.

The company paid $10 million in 2002 to settle a lawsuit by vegetarian groups after it was disclosed that its fries were cooked in beef-flavored oil despite the company's insistence in 1990 that it was abandoning beef tallow for pure vegetable oil.

Last February, it paid $8.5 million to settle a suit by a nonprofit advocacy group accusing the company of misleading consumers by announcing plans in September 2002 to change its cooking oil but then delaying the switch indefinitely within months. Reluctant to change the taste of a top-selling item, McDonald's has continued to maintain for the past three years that testing continues.

Asked about the status of those efforts Monday, Kapica said: "It's a very high priority and we are very committed to continuing with testing and lowering the level of trans fat without raising the level of saturated fat. ... It's a lot harder than we originally thought but that is not stopping us."

McDonald's shares rose 3 cents to close at $36.36 on the New York Stock Exchange up 8 percent in 2006.

If someone is worried about their child's diet, it surprises me that they would take them to McDonald's and not expect their would be a number of additives and preservatives in the food.

Deb, how about healthy chocolate recipes?!
Look at what Web MD is cooking up:
Chocolate Espresso Pudding
Made with soy milk, this delicious dish also does double duty by providing calcium and isoflavones. Who knew?

Chocolate-Cinnamon Flan
If you're a fan of flan, you'll fall over for this recipe that calls for cocoa. Yum ... what a great idea!

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Fudge
Sounds decadent, and it is. But sometimes you need to splurge. When the time comes, here's your treat!

tiredmommy

Originally posted by transformtriumph:
[qb] If someone is worried about their child's diet, it surprises me that they would take them to McDonald's and not expect their would be a number of additives and preservatives in the food. [/qb]
I was very happy when our local McD's closed. It removed a lot of temptation for us. No more "Oh, we'll just swing through the drive through". Or fries as "rewards".
If anyone is interested, rent a copy of "Supersize" me, it's really eye-opening about the fast food industry.

-TM

BusynMember

On, I think, "The Discovery Channel" a man decided to test McD's food using himself as a guina pig. He ate nothing but McD's for a month. He almost died. His kidneys were especially in danger, but he was a mess, very tired, worn out, had lots of physical ailments, and his girlfriend was very concerned. This was sort of a young man. Anyone who thinks McD's is healthy needs a reality check. The only thing I buy at McD's, if I'm on the run, is orange juice (figure they can't mess that up) and sometimes salad.

cmdh

I don't think anyone thinks of Md's as 'health food' but I do think many have it as a once in a while treat. I know my grandbabies do and they have dairy allergies.

We could make a million by opening a healthy 'fast food' joint! :Its a beautiful thing: . I feel like I am forever cooking and baking. There is no such thing as grabbing something on the run. Just think of it .. hamburger actually made out of ... hamburger ... ground beef not soy. French fries out of... potatoes... all with the convinces of a drive through.

Here's a somewhat healthy fudge (the pumpkin adds fiber, protein and beta carotene):
Pumpkin Pie Fudge
1 1/2 C sugar
2/3 C evaporated milk
1/2 C canned pumpkin
2 T butter
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
12 oz vanilla baking chips
2 C mini marshmallows
1/2 C chopped walnuts
1 1/4 t vanilla
Grease sides and bottom of medium pot. Place sugar, milk, pumpkin, butter, salt and spice in pot. Stir constantly over medium heat. Boil 12 mins. Remove from heat. Stir in chips and marshmallows, until melted. Then stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour into 8 inch square pan, that has been lined with greased foil. Chill until set.