medication problem

Jena

i have pysch on monday for medication check. yet we were giving difficult child 2.5 mg of zyprexa at night before bed (never made sense to me) along with-seroquel @ 50mg. (dropped down from original 100mg).

so, the child is up ea. night till the wee hours driving us insane with-hunger. literally we're back to 3 a.m. nights here. Great for my marriage.

So, yesterday I switched it up gave her the zyprexa in the a.m. when she woke. than last night the seroquel (yet increased it) 75mg. to combat sleep issues, the usual mania.

so, what we had last night was the same effect. up till 2:30 in the morning driving me insane to the point i wanted to rip my hair out. won't eat a solid. yet driving me nuts that shes' hungry. and quite honestly she's annoying. screaming mom like a two year old every ten seconds if i dont' answer her.

so, i thought yesterday the zyperxa would stimulate hunger during day it didnt' work at all. also she doesn't get sedated by the zyprexa at all. than last night thought seroquel would help her sleep. yet she was just as starving as on zyprexa and didnt' sleep.

any thoughts?? like a puzzle. also the weight's giong now like nuts. yet it's alot of medication weight in belly from the seroquel. which we had last time. clothes aren't fitting now because her stomach's swollen from medication, and everywhere else on her is still very small.

the grill cheese the one solid she is eating by the way is ok, i'm pleased yet that isn't really healthy for her either

smallworld

M started eating completely normally, as in the way she ate prior to her eating disorder, at 7.5 mg Zyprexa. Every kid is different so I'm not suggesting that C will start eating normally at 7.5 mg Zyprexa as well. But what I am suggesting is that she may need a higher dose of Zyprexa to eat more normally (as in more than grilled cheese). My thought is that I would gravitate toward more Zyprexa and less Seroquel until she's on all Zyprexa and no Seroquel.

Jena

that makes sense to me. yet the zyprexa doesnt conquer sleep she isn't at all sedated on it, she's hyper. so i can't get rid of seroquel. i just gave her 2.5 mg of zyprexa now. than tonight i'll do seroquel again. theres no pt. in zyprexa at night for her. do you c what i mean, she just stays up hyper and starving and refuses to eat anything but nutella which i'm not buying anymore.

i find that the zyprexa doesn't address anxiety, it just puts her to point where she is beyond starving and desperate. i dont' see any of the logic factor's being addressed. but your right may need higher dose. i can't increase till see doctor on monday. did M work with-anyone on refeeding? difficult child's older as you know and very much stuck on the throat thing even still. so it's real hard working with her because her Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) kicks in and well you know how that goes lol.

i could increase zyprexa during day yet than i'm giong to have to increase seroquel at night. the only thing i dont' like about that is the swollen stomach now. i personally could care less yet she's getting very upset about it. i knew that would happen. seroquel gives her a swollen stomach each time.i'm thinking maybe seroquel xr because i've heard the side effects aren't that bad??

Jena

and I have next week to get medications straight only because following week hell begins. tutors will be coming in and the schedule is very very bad. she has doctor's all day on tuesday and thursday literally from 9 am. to 6 p.m. which is insane because i can't feed her on the road at all. i had to do that due to tutors. than rest of days she has tutors and another doctor appointment monday and after run home for tutor.

tutoring service called and said this is very bad with all her doctor's i dont' even know when she'll be able to do hw. i said yes i dont' know how any of this is giong to work out. it's absolutely insane. yet all we can do is our best and if i see her getting anxiety ridden than we'll have to talk again and change the schedule. it's alot to put on an anxiety ridden kid who is trying to eat.

DammitJanet

Actually, sleep comes at lower doses so maybe try going lower on the seroquel. I am shocked the zyprexa doesnt sedate her. That is very odd. Maybe she just isnt on a high enough dose.

H

HaoZi

Mine was hyper on Zyprexa, too. Her only problem with it really was the night time foot/leg pains.

smallworld

Jen, you don't know how sedated she would be on higher doses of Zyprexa -- for example, 5 mg or 7.5 mg at night. It is a very sedating medication at higher doses. And unfortunately, the only way you're going to know for sure is to try it.

Jena

well it all makes sense what you have all said. i just got in with her. took her for a hair cut today and to the library for first time. i don't know if i should leave seroquel at 75 or drop down to 25. to get her to sleep tonight. i gotta leave zyprexa at 2.5 till i haed to dr i'm not giong to mess around with-increasing that one. thanks for the help!

H

HaoZi

Just a note (and I know Hibernator responds weird to medications) but in her case the higher the Zyprexa went the more manic/hyper/insomnia she got.

Jena

i opted out for 50mg of seroquel tonight as she was laying down. we'll c how night goes. not alot of food today. a few bites of grill cheese (i bought a healthier low fat one) and a piece of cheesecake today. alot of water though. i cut back milk intake too as per doctor's. she was literally drinking almost a gallon a day we just didn't realize how much she was intaking. thought other kids were drinking the whole milk bottle wegot her. cause now the weight will get out of control on me just as i knew it would. i don't want her yo yoing. not healthy. i think next week i'm giong to bring scrambled eggs to refeeding therapist to try if she has a microwave. really hard for a refeeding therapist to do refeeding without ability to cook, warm foods there. unless you want a kid eating candy 24/7 :)

Jena

let's just say that was a no go last night lol. i tried it janet, dropped it down to 25mg. to start, bouncing all over. than waited an hr. gave her more. by end of night we were back up to 100mg. of seroquel. she was aggitated, hyper, couldn't sit still MANIC.

going to dr on monday thank goodness.